Legend of the Wolf - new DVD release

Milkyway

i had this in my hand yesturday at Kim's on St. Marks in nyc, and put it down

the box said nothing about widescreen. it didn't say fullscreen either, but something about the box just didn't seem like it's an improved version, usually companies make a point of noting things like that right on the cover

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Running Man

Yeah Tai Seng is very weird on not noting if anything is improved aside from English dub options or Ric Meyer's commentary tracks.

It'd be smarter to also note if the subtitles are improved (Criterion does that), but hey...

Killer Meteor
Yeah Tai Seng is very weird on not noting if anything is improved aside from English dub options or Ric Meyer's commentary tracks.

It'd be smarter to also note if the subtitles are improved (Criterion does that), but hey...

Ric meyers an improvement?????? He's the human (well vaguely) human version of white noise

The Running Man
Yeah Tai Seng is very weird on not noting newly done for their DVD release aside from English dub options or Ric Meyer's commentary tracks.

Fixed. :)

Mark Pollard

I'll try to pick up a copy of this and get a review posted. I'd like a better version. All I have is the old Jumbo Plain and Laser import which looks lousy.

For the record, Tai Seng's press release states that LEGEND OF THE WOLF is letterboxed and includes 2.0 Cantonese, Mandarin and English audio tracks. Also, optional English and Chinese subs.

Morgoth Bauglir

If it's letterboxed that would be a dream come true, but I would bet money that it isn't. I looked for it at Best Buy today but they didn't have it.

• Administrator

When I checked Best Buy- via their website- it was listed as "not available in stores", only on-line. Boo!

And why not 16x9?

Why?

Morgoth Bauglir

I doubt it was shot fully wide. But that would be so cool if I am wrong. Are you saying you want it to be anamorphic Bob? I prefer movies letterboxed. I don't know why but I can't get into that anamorphic thing.

The Running Man
And why not 16x9?

Why?

Interestingly enough, there isn't a single anamorphic print anywhere in the world that has been put out on DVD. Even Ballistic Kiss got a 16:9 release one point in Japan.

• Administrator
I doubt it was shot fully wide. But that would be so cool if I am wrong. Are you saying you want it to be anamorphic Bob? I prefer movies letterboxed. I don't know why but I can't get into that anamorphic thing.

Yes, I'd like it to be 16x9.

Anamorphic is letterboxed. It just means that the letterboxed image will fill a widescreen TV, instead of having black space on all four sides.

I used to always wonder what the big deal was with anamorphic and 16x9. What did that mean? Then when we got a widescreen TV I suddenly understood. If I get a chance later, I will post pictures to show you what I mean.

Killer Meteor

You don't really know what anamorphic means do you?

Morgoth Bauglir

It means that it makes the picture bigger, and is supposed to look better on widescreen TVs. My parents have a jumbo widescreen TV, and I don't like it. I like watching on a normal TV.

Killer Meteor
It means that it makes the picture bigger, and is supposed to look better on widescreen TVs. My parents have a jumbo widescreen TV, and I don't like it. I like watching on a normal TV.

No, it means the picture is encoded to automatically expand on widescreen tv, gaining from the increased resolutions.

Why don't you like widescreen tvs?

Morgoth Bauglir

I just know that anamorphic means is supposed to look better on a widescreen TV, but I can't see it. I like to see it fully letterboxed. Big screen TVs are too big for me. The pic quality looks better on my smaller TV.

Killer Meteor
I just know that anamorphic means is supposed to look better on a widescreen TV, but I can't see it. I like to see it fully letterboxed. .

Guess we'll agree to disagree then!

• Administrator

Hey Morgoth- here are some pics I took off of my TV to illustrate the difference to you. The first one is a picture of a non-enchanced, or regular DVD. The second is of an anamorphic (or 16x9)/ enchanced for widescreen TV DVD.

I think sometimes on cheaper DVDs you'll see a picture that's just "blown up" to fill a widescreen TV. But true 16x9 has more information, so the picture looks just as sharp and clear. The first couple of generations of big screen televisions had blurry, soft pictures, but in recent years they look great.

post-159-144191883159_thumb.jpg

post-159-144191883189_thumb.jpg

Morgoth Bauglir

hmmm, it does look a lot different. I will just say no comment since I have no idea what I am talking about:p I am just really bad at talking technical stuff abotu DVDs. I just notice if they look good, bad, average... thanks for the pics though.

I see you have comcast, kung fu bob. I can't stand those shitty dual tuner recorders comcast offers. The software is crap and the season pass record new and repeat even when I just select new eps only.

Morgoth, you have to get a widescreen tv and

you will definitely see the differences when watching 16x9 and 4x3 dvds. Don't forget you get a huge differences when watching tv shows in hd compare to sd.

Nice tv kung fu bob. What size is it, 50in?

• Administrator
I see you have comcast, kung fu bob. I can't stand those shitty dual tuner recorders comcast offers. The software is crap and the season pass record new and repeat even when I just select new eps only.

Morgoth, you have to get a widescreen tv and

you will definitely see the differences when watching 16x9 and 4x3 dvds. Don't forget you get a huge differences when watching tv shows in hd compare to sd.

Nice tv kung fu bob. What size is it, 50in?

I do have Comcast, but never got the TVO thingy. That other machine is my now broken DVDrecorder.

TV's 52. Yeah, I really dig it. With the lights out it's like being in my own private theater. Only, one where no one has spilled food, no one talks during the movie, and the uncomfortable chair has become a plush couch and ottoman!

Okay, so unless it's late... people do talk during movies around here. :(

And... well... food has been spilled. :S

But the couch does rock! :D

finally, after a week and 2 days, I can confirm that it's widescreen! I just got it from bestbuy.com, which took forever in their shipping, even though I placed the order on Sept. 30th, but finally it's here, so I popped it in to check, and it is widescreen.

it's letterboxed, with a far better picture than the Jumbo Plain disc, and it actually has a menu. in terms of extras though, there are none, not a trailer or anything, but I'm just happy to have the film in widescreen/letterboxed finally!

Killer Meteor
it's letterboxed, with a far better picture than the Jumbo Plain disc, and it actually has a menu. in terms of extras though, there are none, not a trailer or anything, but I'm just happy to have the film in widescreen/letterboxed finally!

When you say letterboxed, you mean its non-anamorphic?

Archived