Legend of the Wolf - new DVD release

Milkyway

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Running Man

It probably won't be anamorphic but at least it'll have the Cantonese track and the subtitles will be redone. :)

Thanks for the heads up Milkyway.

• Administrator

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY:D

Man I've been waiting for a decent version of this film since it came out on VHS. I couldn't believe it when Media Blasters put it out full-frame!:eek: WTF?

Running Man, why do you say probably not 16x9? Are Tai Seng still not releasing their films with anamorphic transfers? I haven't bought anything from them since probably INITIAL D.

The first time I ever rented movies from a Chinese video store (many years after I had already begun collecting), I found that none of the people working there spoke any English at all. They were very polite, and tried to figure out what I wanted, but to no avail. Suddenly the older woman motioned for me to wait, and went into the back. She returned with a little boy who was about 6 years old. He said "My Grandmom can't speak English, so she asked me to help you." He was very well spoken for such a little kid, and after I told him the kind of movies I was looking for he recommended JC's THUNDERBOLT (one of the few of JC's I hadn't seen), a few other good ones, and LEGEND OF THE WOLF! This kid had awesome taste!

The next time I went there I took him a Bruce Lee shirt that I had made as a "thank you". Well, after that I was Uncle Bob! :) The adorable little tyke picked out the coolest stuff for me in the next month or so (THE BLADE, ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA TV series, ect.) before the store closed. :(

I'll never forget that cool little kid that showed me LEGEND OF THE WOLF.

It probably won't be anamorphic but at least it'll have the Cantonese track and the subtitles will be redone. :)

The specs might change though so yeah, it'll probably be anamorphic.:)

The Running Man
Running Man, why do you say probably not 16x9? Are Tai Seng still not releasing their films with anamorphic transfers? I haven't bought anything from them since probably INITIAL D.

Tai Seng has had anamorphic transfer for years now and quite a few are noticeable improvements over the HK versions. But I only speculate with this title because I don't think a legit anamorphic print has ever been made for the movie for home video. The UK DVD was listed as a 16:9 but it ended up not being so.

Anyway, let's cross our fingers and see. :)

But it's a buy for me regardless because I don't like the English dub made for this movie (I have the Aussie DVD) and the specs here list the Canto track along with English subtitles. Since this is a domestic release by them that means we'll get new and improved English subs on them which is something that no release of the movie has had yet.

Im with Running Man, I highly doubt Tai Seng will do much (if anything) to improve upon any previous "LOTW" releases. But I will still be picking this up as Im a big fan of the film! The fact that its on sale for $9.95 might be an indicator on how much time and effort they are putting into the release. I also like the subtle difference beteween the Tai Seng and Tokyo Shock covers (they just reversed the image)! Ha ha, nice

The Running Man
Im with Running Man, I highly doubt Tai Seng will do much (if anything) to improve upon any previous "LOTW" releases.

Well, they are. Including the Cantonese track and providing new and improved English subtitles. :) The video we'll have to see though.

I also like the subtle difference beteween the Tai Seng and Tokyo Shock covers (they just reversed the image)! Ha ha, nice

Well, Tai Seng uses the original title while Media Blasters' old disc had the international title since it was an English dub only release.

Well, they are. Including the Cantonese track and providing new and improved English subtitles

That really remains to be seen. The listing on HKFlix says "English, Chinese" for subtitles. Lets just hope the subtitles are selectable AND seperate.

Well, Tai Seng uses the original title while Media Blasters' old disc had the international title since it was an English dub only release.

True, I was refering to the image. I

Tai Seng has always had quality subtitles on their releases!! I've read posts from Running Man before plus ones that I own and the subs have all been re-done.

I just hope the image quality will be better.

• Administrator
Tai Seng has always had quality subtitles on their releases!!

REALLY?! :l

Have you seen their release of CHISEN?

• Administrator

For the most part. But there were plenty of scenes where people were talking/ joking around, and it would have been nice to have subtitles.

Plus, I hate Tai Seng's trailers that you can't skip past. Obnoxious.

The Running Man

The only parts where subtitles where needed were on the extras and there were subs on them. I don't remember any content from the actual show that needed translations since pretty much all of it was in English.

And the trailers can be skipped on the later releases.

The Running Man

"I don't remember" in the sense that there was never a point when I was like, "Can we get some subtitles in here?"

:)

The Running Man

Yes, which was made a while back and only features the international print of the movie with the (bad) English dub.

This release from Tai Seng will have an English dub (same or different?), Cantonese, and Mandarin and a new and improved English subtitle translation.

This was suppose to be released today. Anybody able to pick this up and check it out? I was unable to find it locally, so I had it special ordered. Probably be a week or two before I get it. Coulda just got it off amazon, but it was about $6 cheaper the way I ordered it.

The Running Man

Amazon must have it listed wrong. The release is said to be widescreen but not anamorphic.

If I get the disc soon I'll report back. :)

Archived