Diagoro

daTOAD

Was there any films or stories based on the child[Diagoro] from the Lone Wolf and Cub series?Like what happened when he grew up.He would have to be the baddest Mofo on the planet Asia. I always thought Sleepy Eyes of Death was based on that character ,but was wrong. Any info? thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that they were working on a story with Diagoro grown up, but I don't think it ever came into play. And yes that would've been cool to see a continuation of the storyline of LW&C.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I read an interview with Lone Wolf creator Kazuo Koike (he wrote the manga the films and TV series were based on) where he said that he was working on a story about Diagoro as a grownup. He said, get this: that Diagora was going to grow up to be a serial killer! :eek: He said that the poor kid was so twisted by his father's countless bloody kills that he was damaged forever. I found this incredibly sad, fascinating, and logical- all at once. I don't know if he ever did it. I'll try to find that interview and post a link to it on this thread.

Do we have any Japanese forum members out there who can tell us if this proposed story was ever released?

BTW, I was never big on reading manga, but the Lone Wolf and Cub ones were incredible! After those, I read everything else I could by writer Koike and frequent collaborater, artist Goseki Kojima. Their series SAMURAI EXECUTIONER is outstanding, as is their take on the young Hattori Hanzo (the character Sonny Chiba famously played in both the SHADOW WARRIORS TV series, and KILL BILL) in PATH OF THE ASSASSIN (currently being released stateside- issue #12 just came out). Koike also created LADY SNOWBLOOD, though I'm not a huge fan of the artist (Kazuo Kamimura) that created the visuals for that one, the story is still good. He also originated the CRYING FREEMAN character too.

I have the entire manga series of the Lone Wolf and Cub but I only had a chance to read the 1st. one. But I think that the TV series followed the books very closely if I'm right, at least I know that the final book was the same as the movie. I was trying to get ahold of the Azumi comic books but I couldn't find them anywhere I heard those were really good also.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I thought maybe this was that interview I mentioned earlier, but it's not:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Interviews/1261/Kazuo-Koike---The-Dark-Horse-Interview-3-3-06

Still a good read, despite the fact that the interviewer (granted an intelligent and informed guy), talks way more than his subject.

But then I found this site:

http://www.koikekazuo.jp/english/english.html

...and this blurb there:

Kazuo Koike's samurai manga magazine “JIN”

Format: B5 300pages / Retail price: 350Yen

Planned by: Soeisha,Inc. / Published by: Koike Shoin

Sold by: Mainichi Newspapers

“JIN” is a new project magazine series. This series collects a treasure masterpiece of Kazuo Koike, who has written tremendous samurai titles.

Now, after 30 years, “Lone Wolf and Cub”is booming again. The 3rd popular TV series will release this July and “New Lone Wolf and Cub”, about Daigoro's story after his father's death, is now serialized in Weekly Post and high favor among readers.

Woo hoo! :eek::):D

Daisho2004- I haven't read those. But I'm (apparently in the minority of people who are) not a fan of the movie, so I never pursued those. I'm thinking about creating a thread about that.

thanks for the info, will definetly look for Diagoros story. The idea of him becoming a serial killer isnt very logical to me.

"With all the violence Diagoro saw as a child, Im sure he went to the Shaolin temple to live a life of peace and harmony."

Now this i could see. Maybe descents of his Fathers enemies would come after him, because it was actually Diagoro who was sentenced to death , not Ogami Itto.

daTOAD: You're wrong both of them were sentenced to Die your getting it confused if you watched the Dubbed version of Shogun Assassin that is when only Daigoro was sentenced to Death. But in the Lone Wolf & Cub movies meaning the true 6 then they were both suppose to Die.

kungfusamurai

I think based on what Daigoro saw and the life he lived, he would have turned out like Tatsuya Nakadai in Sword of Doom: A psychopath whose only pleasure in life would be to kill. He probably wouldn't be able to have any meaningful relationships with the opposite sex either or people in general. But I'm just basing it on human psychology, not on how I'd like the character to turn out.

KFS

I think Daigoro would've turned out to be a Great Samurai and a Feared one at that. His father wanted him to carry on the Itto name so it was important for Ogami to teach his Son the importance of a Family, and in the TV series there was a lot more emotions between the 2 of them that the movies didn't show, that was one thing that I really loved about the TV Series.

Guest MrGranger
I think Daigoro would've turned out to be a Great Samurai and a Feared one at that. His father wanted him to carry on the Itto name so it was important for Ogami to teach his Son the importance of a Family.

I think that showed in all the films. I agree with daisho2004, there isn't anything in the films that would make me believe Daigoro would turn out to be a serial killer. You've got to be on the receiving end of the violence to get messed up like that, Ogami was anything but abusive to Daigoro.

kungfusamurai
I think that showed in all the films. I agree with daisho2004, there isn't anything in the films that would make me believe Daigoro would turn out to be a serial killer. You've got to be on the receiving end of the violence to get messed up like that, Ogami was anything but abusive to Daigoro.

Perhaps 'serial killer' would be too specific. He certainly would be psychopathic. He might be someone who kills because it reminds him of his childhood, and he would feel it would bring him closer to his late father. He'd probably also objectify women.

Was there ever a story that delved into Ogami Itto's upbringing? He must have had a little bit of craziness in him already, and the killing of his wife and the destruction of his clan just made him go over the edge.

KFS

KFS: None of the stories ever focused on Ogami's upbringing, they only showed how he obtained the rank of the Shogun's Second, which was a really good episode. And the plot in which the Yagyu were trying to discredit Itto, and killed one of his friends who know there was a plot. I'd love to watch the entire series again but my copies aren't that good but I might have to suffer through them again.

Archived