Fox MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER dvd - any good?

ministry88

Well, we all know to be wary (and weary) of the domestic DVD releases of our favorite Kung Fu flicks, be it from Dragon Dynasty or Fox or whatever (hey, I just got burned with the Fortune Star remaster of EASTERN CONDORS with the "original Cantonese mono" DOWNMIX!). I'd just like to know one thing about the Fox DVD: Is the sound tampered with? You know what I mean: brand new foley effects crapola with no original mono track.

And I want a REAL mono track. No wiseguy downmixed mono allowed. If the sound is suspect, I'll just go with the old Media Asia HK DVD.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Audio options on the FOX "Magnif Butcher" are both DD 5.1 English & Cantonese. NO original mono track on the disc. Cant remember how much tampering was done, been a while since I watched it. But Im sure there is some since its 5.1.That said it is one of the few Fox discs that actually have a few extra features. Nice disc for a budget title, they were originally released for $8-$10. And picture is remastered anamorphic.

MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER:

HKL is better sound-wise, but has inferior video. Fox has annoying sounds, you'd best avoid it (and the dubtitles).

IVL is a better option AV-wise I suppose.

Will the Germans do this I wonder?

EASTERN CONDORS:

Easy, German release :).

movie freak
Well, we all know to be wary (and weary) of the domestic DVD releases of our favorite Kung Fu flicks, be it from Dragon Dynasty or Fox or whatever (hey, I just got burned with the Fortune Star remaster of EASTERN CONDORS with the "original Cantonese mono" DOWNMIX!). I'd just like to know one thing about the Fox DVD: Is the sound tampered with? You know what I mean: brand new foley effects crapola with no original mono track.

And I want a REAL mono track. No wiseguy downmixed mono allowed. If the sound is suspect, I'll just go with the old Media Asia HK DVD.

Thanks!

its actually not that bad, the extra sound effects arent that noticable and the picture quality is as great as it'll get and it lacks special features but c'mon? its only like 8 dollars

its actually not that bad, the extra sound effects arent that noticable and the picture quality is as great as it'll get and it lacks special features but c'mon? its only like 8 dollars

Lol. Yes that's true my friend. It's pretty good, for $8.

:cool:

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah it doesn't really have any special features. No interviews or anything like that. Still a good buy, even though the sound isn't perfect.

The Running Man
IVL is a better option AV-wise I suppose.

Subtitles as well. IVL uses HKL's subs whereas Fox's are dubtitles.

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses! Well, $8 is no steal to me if the sound is remixed. Oh well, I guess I'll get the old Media Asia DVD...

If I remember correctly there's a black frame in the middle of a scene early on in the film. I sent Fox an email about it but never got a response. Oh well, otherwise, I think the pictures looks pretty good and it sounds good too.

Archived