japanese movies

ramnair23

hey ppl.i just vvatched the Sonny Chiba Streetfighter movies and I'm really dissapointed. I vvould never have thot Sonny Chiba a martial artist vvatching this movie if i didn't already knovv that for a fact. There's little or no choreogaphy vvhatsoever in his movies. can some1 recommend to me some vvell choreographed japanese martial arts movies that compares to the HK ones?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the movie you watched is called "STREETfighter", hence the unstylized street fighting. You're not going to find a Classic (old school) Japanese MA film with HK style shapes. Japanese MA films are more direct, brutal and "realistic" (comparably). Less dancing about and more kicks/punches landing. Chiba's Mas Oyama films & "Killing Machine" are more stylized than the Streetfighter films. But they still stay true to the stlye of Karate which they are portraying. He's made a boatload of excellent samurai films which feature more stylized action ie "Iga Ninpocho", "Shogun's Ninja", "Makai Tensho", "Shogun's Samurai", ect..

vvell MoFo jap movies maybe direct and brutal but def. not realistic. i don't knovv about every1 else but i look for plausibility not authenticity in a MA movie. none of those moves are going to save Sonny Chiba in a real streetfight. my problem vvith this being projected as a martial art movie is that Sonny Chibas got no moves a non-martial artist hasn't. his punches are higher than his kicks. thanks for recommending those other movies. i hope i'll enjoy them better

I would definitley categorize the "Steetfighter Trilogy" as EXPLOITATION films first, and martial arts a FAR distant second.

Archived