BCI/Miramax Deal

HAZ

Check this out from the main site:

BCI to release Asian action from Miramax vault

By Mark Pollard • August 7, 2008

BCI Eclipse has just completed a deal with Miramax Films to release 25 of their long-shelved Asian action titles including overseas hits like MY WIFE IS A GANGSTER, YES MADAM and WHEELS ON MEALS.

Some of the other titles to be released by BCI include DR. WAI IN THE SCRIPTURE WITH NO WORDS, PRISON ON FIRE 1 & 2, TIGER ON BEAT, DRAGONS FOREVER, THE TOUCH, and WING CHUN.

The scoop comes straight from BCI’s Director of Acquisitions Cliff MacMillan who states that titles will hit store shelves beginning in early 2009.

BCI’s latest announcement is further evidence that the distributor has been jockeying to become a major player in the arena of Asian action distribution since joining parent company Navarre Corporation.

Previously known as a distributor of low-grade public domain titles under their discarded Brentwood label, BCI has been rebuilding its reputation from the ground up by acquiring higher-quality, licensed genre films from Rarescope and Adness such as the Cliff Lok classic CHOI LEE FUT KUNG FU and the SISTER STREET FIGHTER series.

One of their most recent releases on DVD and Blu-ray was Thai fantasy actioner THE TIGER BLADE which came with bonus content including interviews and behind-the-scenes footage.

Although the Weinsteins brought some of their Asian acquisitions with them when they broke away from Miramax parent company Disney to form The Weinstein Company, many were left behind. This should come as welcome news to genre fans who have been waiting for ages to see many of Miramax’s discarded Asian action titles released in the U.S.

------------------------------

This is great news! I like BCI releases. Their Sister Street Fighter Boxed set & their Sonny Chiba releases are all class. Put me down for a R1 Wing Chun & Yes Madam.

h

http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=2696

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Running Man

This is really exciting news!

Mark put this up so I'll give the link to the item here.

Now, I am really excited not only because these titles will finally be released, but also because BCI is a real classy company when it comes to releasing Asian films.

There are many suggestions I want to make, however among those many things, chief among them is the number one question to BCI (because I know they read this forum) is this:

Will you be able to obtain the Miramax masters to these titles?

For many of the titles that have been announced as part of this deal, movies like WHEELS ON MEALS, DR. WAI IN THE SCRIPTURE WITH NO WORDS, PRISON ON FIRE 1 & 2, DRAGONS FOREVER, and WING CHUN have all been broadcast on US Spanish TV all using the Miramax prints.

These prints are quite simply, the best the films have ever looked and they totally annihilate all previous prints of the film, including the Fortune Star prints of such titles. If BCI is doing this through Miramax, can they please make sure to obtain their masters to use on the home video releases. It will make these releases easily definitive for having best video quality out there.

I am very afraid that BCI simply will make the deal to release these titles, but skip out on actually using their prints and instead go to the Hong Kong studios and get inferior prints like Fortune Stars.

So BCI, please....please make sure to obtain the Miramax prints of these titles! :D

P.S.

Once this is settled I'll make my other suggestions.

movie freak

Now, I am really excited not only because these titles will finally be released, but also because BCI is a real classy company when it comes to releasing Asian films.

There are many suggestions I want to make, however among those many things, chief among them is the number one question to BCI (because I know they read this forum) is this:

For many of the titles that have been announced as part of this deal, movies like WHEELS ON MEALS, DR. WAI IN THE SCRIPTURE WITH NO WORDS, PRISON ON FIRE 1 & 2, DRAGONS FOREVER, and WING CHUN have all been broadcast on US Spanish TV all using the Miramax prints.

These prints are quite simply, the best the films have ever looked and they totally annihilate all previous prints of the film, including the Fortune Star prints of such titles. If BCI is doing this through Miramax, can they please make sure to obtain their masters to use on the home video releases. It will make these releases easily definitive for having best video quality out there.

I am very afraid that BCI simply will make the deal to release these titles, but skip out on actually using their prints and instead go to the Hong Kong studios and get inferior prints like Fortune Stars.

So BCI, please....please make sure to obtain the Miramax prints of these titles! :D

P.S.

great point!!! but id also like to know if the films are going to be uncut and is the music soundtrack going to be original? because miramax was known for their pathetic cuts that ruined it for many fans

The Running Man
because miramax was known for their pathetic cuts that ruined it for many fans

It was Harvey Wenstein. Not Miramax. Since Harvey was kicked out, the company has been running a lot better without him and his antics.

All the prints that were shown on US Spanish TV (that also includes Dragons Forever which was shown on the Spike channel) were all uncut save for anything that needed to be trimmed down for running time on a 2 hour block.

So Miramax made masters but not cuts were made so no need to worry. Since remember, these prints were made after Harvey Wesintein left the company.

Mark Pollard

In case folks have missed it, Cliff has been responding to some feedback in the comments section of the article. I'm hoping to get a full title list and more details about specs and bonus content in the coming months.

The Running Man

Hopefully he'll look at this thread too. :)

But actually now that I look back at the list, movie freak's concern is valid for The Touch. Harvey Weinstein had the movie butchered up and that version has been airing on US cable TV for some months now. So the question is, which version will BCI release? The original uncut version, or the butchered up Harvey Weinstein cut?

A big thanks to BCI. I will purchase every release I can afford from them just to support them.

Is it apparent to anybody else that Miramax/Dimension must have only intended to master just enough of a movie to get it aired on TV and then make a DVD of that version? Just by the choices they made. It's the cheapest thing they could do. The DVD's were an afterthought.

BCI certainly sounds like a company where their hearts are in the right place. Just the fact that they take time to respond to the article is great.

movie freak
A big thanks to BCI. I will purchase every release I can afford from them just to support them.

Is it apparent to anybody else that Miramax/Dimension must have only intended to master just enough of a movie to get it aired on TV and then make a DVD of that version? Just by the choices they made. It's the cheapest thing they could do. The DVD's were an afterthought.

BCI certainly sounds like a company where their hearts are in the right place. Just the fact that they take time to respond to the article is great.

yea thats true, those guys are awesome :D just deliver the uncut movies with the uncut audio track and ill buy every one of them :D

Guest jackindabox

bci/brentwood dvds are ****ty quality. even worse than media blasters. they use vhs masters for their dvds. too bad it wasn’t criterion who got these titles because they would treat them with respect. instead we are stuck with a second rate distributor

I think BCI has done a great job so far and I can't wait for these films to come out under the BCI Banner.

All but a few of the masters are the ones you speak of. I think they also played on VOOM's Kung Fu channel. So, yes, those are the masters and the few that aren't in HD (all of them Korean films, if I remember correctly) will be transfer in HD.

P.S.

Hopefully he'll look at this thread too. :)

But actually now that I look back at the list, movie freak's concern is valid for The Touch. Harvey Weinstein had the movie butchered up and that version has been airing on US cable TV for some months now. So the question is, which version will BCI release? The original uncut version, or the butchered up Harvey Weinstein cut?

I am a fan of these films, but I don't know them as well as other folks. Each master will be watched by someone who knows the film, one of our consultants (I wish it was you, Linn), and we will make sure that the original version of the film is presented on the disc.

The Running Man

That's awesome! So the masters being used ARE indeed the Miramax prints right?

What about the issue with The Touch? Will you have a new master made since the one that Miramax has is the Harvey Wenstien butchered cut?

There are other things I want to bring up, so please bear with me. :)

Subtitles - Please hire a Chinese (or whatever language the film is in) translator to make sure that all of the films are totally and properly retranslated from the ground up. That includes all signs and songs and nothing to be dumbed down. Many Asian titles, especially Hong Kong titles, usually have really bad subtitles. It is very imperative that this aspect be handled properly and totally correctly.

Different versions - Some of the films you have exist in different versions. Two of the most obvious ones are Dragons Forever and Dr. Wai and The Scripture With No Words.

Miramax made a print of the cut version of Dragons Forever which sadly is the version circling around on DVD. It is missing two key scenes with Yuen Biao visiting a shrink. Putting these scenes back into the film would raise the value of the release tremendously as no current release on DVD has had them play in the film as they should. Would it be possible to remaster those two scenes and insert them back into the Miramax print?

In regards to Dr. Wai, the version Miramax made a print of is the international cut of the film. There is a totally separate version that is the Hong Kong version. Would it be possible to remaster that edition as well and release that along with the international cut? The only edition that has done this to date was the French release as almost all other releases just pick one (usually the international version). Again, it would raise the value quite a lot if both full versions would be released by you guys.

Also, would it be possible to put the Mandarin track of the international version along with that release? I would imagine that you guys only would commission dubs to those versions or movies that have none. There is an English dub for the international version of Dr. Wai, but is god awful. I'd imagine you'd probably just go with that but for those that don't want to sit and have to deal with that torture, can you also look into providing the mandarin track and redoing the subtitles for it?

On the flip side of that issue, can you guys commission a new dub for the Hong Kong version (along with of course, putting the Cantonese with redone subtitles on it)?

Dubs - This is the most complicated issue here. Before anything, one title in particular where you should make sure to get the previous dub of is Wheels on Meals. It's one of the very few that were reasonably well made at the time and also includes an alternate soundtrack which is very good and I know many would love to have. Almost all DVD versions of it missed out on including that dub.

But the bigger issue is this:

Now I know that BCI and FUNimation are sister companies. And for the live action films that BCI does dubs for, they just send it over to FUNimation. The problem is FUNimation's track record on dubs is not very good at all. They have good voice actors, but the people behind the scenes don't even take the effort to at least write dialog that could sync well with the mouths. I have seen dubs that they have made (like for Spirited Killer) that almost seem like it was synced by a blind man. I hate old 70s and 80s Hong Kong movie English dubs, but those have better syncing then the live action dubs made by FUNimation and it really surprises me because they are very good with most of their anime dubs.

I really do love Hong Kong cinema, but the bad history of horrible dubbing is one of the ugly spots it has. Most of the dubs were just given to groups that spent no time or effort on them and were made on the quick and easy and the results were laughable at best. But it didn't do anything to reflect well on Hong Kong cinema and Asian cinema for that matter.

The many films you guys have here that is an incredible chance to give many of this wonderful movies the dubs they deserve. But the current quality of the dubs made for non-anime films at FUNimation isn't very hopeful. I would hate to see a chance like this go to waste on the account of people that don't seem to care.

Is there any possibility that you can farm those new dubs out to other companies (which I can recommend some)? If that is out of the question, can some communication between BCI and FUNimation open to demand that more care be taking in writing the dub scripts for non-anime dubs?

Although all other topics will be ongoing as more information comes in about which titles are in the deal, the business of the dubs is quite a topic and one that if you wouldn't mind, I would like to communicate in PM about in regards to the whole issue. :) I would really hate to see new dubs just being quickly put together instead of giving them the time and care to make them right on films that do deserve better.

MY WIFE IS A GANGSTER is a good movie I think I seen the 2nd. movie and missed the 1st. and the 3rd. but I really enjoyed it. looking forward to these new releases.

Well, you may hate many of the export dubs - I Understand :). However, a good number of us would like them. Better still, provide both.

Seamless branching accounting for alternative credit sequences and dropped scenes would be better than filling in the audio.

The Running Man
Well, you may hate many of the export dubs - I Understand . However, a good number of us would like them. Better still, provide both.

With the exception of some very, very few exceptions...yes they are horrible. But that's not what I was talking about and Cliff has said new dubs are only being put on the movies (or guess versions as well) that don't have a dub already. So that's what I was really talking about. :)

If it were up to me, I would burn the masters of all those horrible dubs and redub all those films with respect, dignity, and care. But hey, I don't run a movie company. Not yet at least. ;)

From what I can see of the titles so far, there is no need for seamless branching. Dragons Forever's missing two scenes should be there and Dr. Wai can just easily be given a disc for each of the versions like the French release did.

With the exception of some very, very few exceptions...yes they are horrible. But that's not what I was talking about and Cliff has said new dubs are only being put on the movies (or guess versions as well) that don't have a dub already. So that's what I was really talking about. :)

There's a market for it and some don't see it as horrible (no matter how painfully obvious it may seem in some).

However, instead of arguing and contradicting your post, I should have just requested it on my own as we'll all want to add our 2 cents because we all have opinions :).

I generally don't listen to dubs, other than the 'classic' (or, for your sake "horrible") ones :). As rude as it is to end the debate with my opinion, we'll focus on other things BCI related :).

From what I can see of the titles so far, there is no need for seamless branching. Dragons Forever's missing two scenes should be there and Dr. Wai can just easily be given a disc for each of the versions like the French release did.

Explained in email about alternative openings and shorter English dub version :).

Dr Wai seems too massive to give it seamless branching perhaps?

The Running Man
There's a market for it

An extremely small one. People outside of this cult following of horrible dubbing will easily identify it as a bad dub and basically just see the movies with the stereotype that Hong Kong movies are crap. I know this because I have experienced it many, many times over.

But this isn't the place for this discussion chen lung. :) I really want to have a serious dialog with Cliff about the releases, not get bogged down by this off-topic discussion and have all the points get lost.

With the branching thing, again...Dragons Forever has no business having those two Yuen Biao scenes missing. So no need for a branching option there. Dr. Wai is too much for a branching option because apart from the different scenes included, some scenes that are shared play out differently in dialog because the context is different. That automatically calls for a totally separate audio track. In the Hong Kong version, the Dr. Wai segments are a story that Jet's character in the present is writing, while the international version the Dr. Wai segments ARE the film. Plus the international version adds a narration by Dr. Wai's "son" that plays throughout the film.

In fact, now that I remember, there are even little different edits in some of the scenes that are shared. Yeah, that would be a nightmare for a team to do a branching option. Best to just provide both versions on a separate disc. :)

An extremely small one. People outside of this cult following of horrible dubbing will easily identify it as a bad dub and basically just see the movies with the stereotype that Hong Kong movies are crap. I know this because I have experienced it many, many times over.

Well, I'm sure Cliff knows the situation. And as suggested in my post, we'll end it there.

I really want to have a serious dialog

Thanks (!)

With the branching thing, again...Dragons Forever has no business having those two Yuen Biao scenes missing. So no need for a branching option there.

The majority of versions miss that out and again...;) there's the English dub to consider. Which ones included those two scenes?

Mark Pollard
But hey, I don't run a movie company. Not yet at least. ;)

I was about to say Running Man, with your high standards you should get into the distribution biz and show them all how its done. If you can manage to meet your own standards and still make money, I think everyone who cares about this genre would be pleased. This may read like I'm being a smartass but I'm serious.

Anyway, back on topic.

The Running Man
The majority of versions miss that out and again... there's the English dub to consider. Which ones included those two scenes?

You ask me this an email and again here? Come on man. :) Wait for your reply in email. ;) But ok...

But other than using simple logic (Yuen Biao's actions later in the film make NO SENSE without those scenes), the original Hong Kong laser disc had those scenes in the film. This is why I have yet to get rid of my VHS copy of that laserdisc.

It was only the DVD versions that didn't include them but that was because it was sourced from Media Asia, which had some films cut and even the infamous A Better Tomorrow part 1 release where they totally changed the original score and replaced it with music spots fro Hollywood blockbusters. Fortune Star has been remastering different versions of films almost at random and probably thought just as little with this version which is why their print is missing those scenes as well.

So yeah, it would be great if BCI's release can rectify that problem.

I was about to say Running Man, with your high standards you should get into the distribution biz and show them all how its done.

This deal has excited me because had Dragon Dynasty gotten their hands on these films then the great Miramax prints would never see the light of home video. DD would have just used the inferior Fortune Star prints for some and by their track record so far, make it worse. Plus, Brian White's just not that skilled when it comes to remastering as evidenced by his resume.

BCI getting these films shows a lot of promise and the fact that Cliff does seem to care enough to listen to what people have to say seems to give possibilities for that promise. Yeah, I may have suggested a lot (and still have more) but as long as it's taken one step at a time and see what is able to be done, I think great things can come out of these releases. :)

Cliff, would you prefer some of this through PM?

P.S.

Speaking of Miramax prints, one of the US Spanish TV stations is going to premier "Tiger on the Beat" early this afternoon. :D

Come on man. :) Wait for your reply in email. ;)

True.

So yeah, it would be great if BCI's release can rectify that problem.

Thankfully, the export print is likely accessible (judging by the credits on the TV broadcast according to a few) and from there, attach the LD audio, etc.

Speaking of Miramax prints, one of the US Spanish TV stations is going to premier "Tiger on the Beat" early this afternoon. :D

HKL's was rather good, but I'd be curious to see the result of this one.

I was about to say Running Man, with your high standards you should get into the distribution biz and show them all how its done.

Watch out for the "extremely small market" though:D!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Miramax made a print of the cut version of Dragons Forever which sadly is the version circling around on DVD. It is missing two key scenes with Yuen Biao visiting a shrink. Putting these scenes back into the film would raise the value of the release tremendously as no current release on DVD has had them play in the film as they should. Would it be possible to remaster those two scenes and insert them back into the Miramax print?

Not true! I have a legit dvd version with those scenes in! it's the scandinavian version from a company called on-air. It only has the old school english dub though, no cantonese!

silver hermit

question for cliff, if the masters are HD any chance of blue ray discs?

perhaps after you guys on the forum debate the pros and cons make some solid suggestions for features for BCI and not turn this into a dub debate. great suggestions from all so far. its great that BCI try to reach out to the genres fanbase they seem to really care and with the loss of linns input i'm sure cliff would appreciate a clear and concise breakdown of each films points of interest/concern. with this deal from miramax BCI has a better chance of producing high quality ultimate editions that will be marketable and fanboy approved :D just a thought:)

Not true! I have a legit dvd version with those scenes in! it's the scandinavian version from a company called on-air. It only has the old school english dub though, no cantonese!

The English export cut officially has those scenes (see MIA VHS).

However, we're talking about the Cantonese soundtrack for them which have featured on the OOP HK Laserdisc and the 2005 HKL DVD (the latter as extras), but all other releases don't have it (Media Asia must have messed it up when they got the rights).

Archived