Golden Harvest oldies still not released....

Guest shukocarl

Guest shukocarl

I know that I (amongst others) keep moaning about this, but when are some of the great Golden Harvest classics going to be released on (legit) dvd (UK please)?

Lady Whirlwind (c'mon...we've already had Hapkido),

Deadly China Doll (might be a dispute if this is GH)

When Taekwondo Strikes

Bandits From Shantung

One Armed Boxer (I ave the Japanese disc)

Seaman No. 7

A Man Called Tiger

The Stormy Sun

etc....

If HKL can't or won't do this, why don't they pass the ball to someone else? Hell, why not put them out as 2 movies per disc like the 'Grindhouse' set that's just appeared in the U.S. ?

>:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortune Star doesn't have Deadly China Doll. Second all of these are being looked at by a US company as I type. Hopefully the deal can get done soon. HKL will not do this, and most likely won't exist in a year.

Guest Markgway

The Opium Trail aka Deadly China Doll was produced, IIRC, by a company called Panasia (HK).

Later Golden Harvest bought a company called Panasia from Andrew Vajna - the same one, I don't know?

In the 90s GH distributed a film produced by Panasia (again, same company?) called Big Bullet.

I'm assuming they're all connected on some level.

Linn when you say hkl most likely won't exist in a year do you have any more info on this, it wouldn't surprise me as their releases have really slowed down lately - what would happen to the back catalogue would they slowly become deleted & what about the stuff they haven't released?

Guest Agent Orange

bey logan said that hkl had access to more than 200 films and from what i count they have only released 100 or so.

my numbers could be really off as far as the amount they

have RELEASED but not the number of films they had access to. Unless that number has changed.

Sheesh i guess bey logan is taking all that to the weinsteins.. But dont quote me on that im just saying what it looks.. like.

Guest killer meteor

Since Brian White and Bey Logan left HKL, it's been winding down, both in quanity and quality. Contender, who purchased HKL because it was part of Medusa and they wanted that for comedies, has little or no interest in continuing the line

Guest Markgway

There's a load of films that HKL have (or had depending on the length of the licence) that have yet to see the light of day. Most of them well-known titles starring people like Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Michelle Yeoh. I can't imagine what's going on in their offices. @#%$ the extras then, just put out good quality A/V vanila discs and reduce the RRP. That's better than nothing.

I agree - I used to get pretty excited about special editions but to be honest most extras (interviews,deleted/extended scenes) are only worth 1 watch anyway & often I don't even bother with commentaries due to them been pretty poor (fearless hyena!). Its the films themselves that we all watch time & time again although when they did go for barebones releases with the jackie/lo wei movies they seemed unusually expensive

Archived