The Shaolin Kids (aka Shaolin Death Squad) (1975)

teako170

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 5/1/2020 at 11:57 PM, ShawAngela said:

Does any German speaker can confirm that the German title Das Todliche geheimnis der shaolin is the right title for Shaolin death squads and owns the movie and can tell me if it's really Shaolin death squads with Ko Fei and Shan Kuan Ling Fung, or if it's the same as Shaolin kids, please ?

ofdb.de lists them as two different movies. One of their regular reviewers made reviews for both movies, the plots differs. 

DAS TÖDLICHE GEHEIMNIS DER SHAOLIN = SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD(S)

https://ssl.ofdb.de/film/31695,Das-Tödliche-Geheimnis-der-Shaolin

THE SHAOLIN KIDS

https://ssl.ofdb.de/film/86048,The-Shaolin-Kids

this is the one with Tien Peng

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 3

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

ofdb.de lists them as two different movies. One of their regular reviewers made reviews for both movies, the plots differs. 

DAS TÖDLICHE GEHEIMNIS DER SHAOLIN = SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD(S)

https://ssl.ofdb.de/film/31695,Das-Tödliche-Geheimnis-der-Shaolin

THE SHAOLIN KIDS

https://ssl.ofdb.de/film/86048,The-Shaolin-Kids

this is the one with Tien Peng

Thank you very very much !!

• Like 1

Despite the title, the movie has almost nothing to do with "Shaolin", and absolutely nothing to do with children. Nonetheless, the term for "disciple" consists of the same characters for "kid(s)", but in opposite order. So maybe the alternate title referred to "Shaolin Disciples." The film is set in the Song Dynasty (960-1279 AD) and follows the attempts of the imperial prime minister (perennial Taiwanese villain Yi Yuan) to overthrow the king/emperor and set up a Yuan-backed rule. Opposing him is Lady Lui (Polly Shang Kuan Ling Feng), General Lu (Chang Yi, in a heroic role), his son (Roc Tien Peng), and some other rebels, including Carter Wong and Kam Kong. 

The title derives from the fact that Carter Wong is an instructor of laymen at the Shaolin Temple, despite that being 500 years too early. They end up helping the heroes in the final fights, but are otherwise not in the story. The action mainly belongs to Polly Kuan, who wields a pair of short swords as she fights numerous guards and the Prime Minister's bodyguards, played by Cliff Lok and Huang Fei-Lung. Most of the action is weapons-oriented, although Chang Yi can't help but use the mantis style in his fight scenes. Characters fight with swords, sabers, spears, two-pronged forks, etc. One guy has a short-handled wolf's teeth club in an early fight. Chan Siu-Pang does a decent job with the fighting, although nothing spectacular. The film is notable for having the movie go on after the final fight for a good 14 minutes, resolving the overarching conflicts without clanging swords.

• Like 5

If there was ever a type of kung fu film that simply isn’t for me, it’s this. It’s 85% people sitting around talking, with all the male characters looking exactly the same. The action lies somewhere between basher and evolving basher-to-shapes (like those found in The Secret Rivals) and it just isn’t satisfying at all. I found myself looking at my phone and simply ignoring what was going on this as it progressed.

A film like this might work for some people but it was so bland to me. Nothing vaguely interesting about it. Eureka! could have saved their money and left this one out of their recent box set.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 11/13/2021 at 8:59 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Eureka! could have saved their money and left this one out of their recent box set.

I'm glad they didn't. For me, it's the best film in the set alongside 18 Bronzemen.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

I'm glad they didn't. For me, it's the best film in the set alongside 18 Bronzemen.

I’m glad you liked it. I’m glad Eureka! are picking films that cater to all tastes. The box set has plenty for me to enjoy. This just wasn’t one of them.

• Like 4

Plot/Characters- I really wasn’t interested in the plot or any of the characters here and found the first  half to be a bit slow. Picks up a little bit in the second half though once Chang Yi and Carter Wong show up, but this one was real talky. 

Action-  Nothing too spectacular, as the fights start and then usually end in seconds . A few scenes of knives/ swordplay with some pole work towards the end . An ok final fight, though it didn’t really feel like one . 

Sets/Cinematography - The same sets you usually see in these period films, though some of the ones used here  looked really old and ready to fall apart. A few outdoor scenes also . 

Overall Eureka did a great job on this set! I think the best is World Of Drunken Master , Hopefully we get a volume 2 ! 

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

Yeah this one turned out to not really be for me either, and easily the weakest entry on the Kuo set that Eureka released. There's a solid argument to say that 'Old Master' is the weaker production, but that had plenty of unintentional entertainment value, whereas 'The Shaolin Kids' was just too dull. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-shaolin-kids-1975-review-taiwan-eureka-cinematic-vengeance-the-films-of-joseph-kuo-boxset-blu-ray-shaolin-death-squads/

• Like 1