Phillip Kwok's injury???

KUNG FU BOB

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey guys, I've got a question that I know somone on this board can answer:

How did Phillip Kwok lose parts of the fingers of his left hand?

The reason I ask is, I just finished a painting of him, and when I showed my wife she said "Wow, I really love it. But what's with his hand? Why did you make it look like some kind of flipper or something?" :confused:

I told her that he had fingers missing from a real-life injury, and that it was not just a matter of sloppy artwork. At first she thought I was just pulling her chain (yeah, she's on a chain...so?), but then she asked me how it happened. "Did he lose it during a stunt, or a poorly choreographed swordfight?" I blurted out that he lost them when his brother accidentally cut them off with an axe. But then I didn't want to Ric Meyer her, so I admitted that this was what I vaguely remember hearing, but wasn't sure. Of course I said I'd find out, and she said "That's okay, I don't care that much about it".:P But now I'm curious. I don't know where I heard that, or if it's right. Anybody know for sure?

post-159-144191879747_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite certain that October 21st 1951 is correct. I doubt he was as old as 33 when filming 5 venoms, and hkcinemagic.com also has this birthdate.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
According to himself in an interview, he lost them while operating some heavy machinery.

Here's the link to the interview: http://changcheh.0catch.com/kuo-int.htm

Yo Endsang, thanks Man! Also, that interview was sweet. And I followed that link to the Lo Meng interview which was also great. I remember Bobby Samuels and Rick Hopkins telling me some cool stories about hanging with Lo Meng (both on and off the set). They had nothing but good things to say about him. I thought he was tremendously nice when I spoke to him, and hope to see him again someday.

Teako, love those pics!

oldeschool17
thanx for that info.All these years and I NEVER even noticed that!My God I feel like such a noob!

Dont feel bad. He was mostly shot at angles where you would not notice.

I have that issue of Eastern Heroes with the interview. I remember being shocked with the casual "How did you lose your fingers" question. I had watched him for years and had never noticed! I went back to my old T.V. vhs dupes at the time and still couldn't notice the missing digits.

Come to think of it, that may also have been where I had first heard of Chiang Sheng's death.

I guess Phillip Kwok is the Tony Iommi of Martial Arts. And that is not a bad thing.

Merry Christmas.

Nice one. He and Tony seem to share similar outlooks. Merry Christmas.

Archived