Red Cliff DVD

David Rees

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a screener dvd going around. Maybe the two are connected? That looks like a legit release, but its tough to say for sure.

doug maverick

it just came out in theaters and according to some friends its still in theaters so its not official

That is a mainland dvd. The mainland plays by its own rules, which makes it hard to tell if this is a legit release. Zoke is a legit company & I have other releases by them with the same red/blue spine, but bootleggers could duplicate that. You never know what you're getting with a mainland dvd.

Guest WuxiaFan

:15_002:

I was fortunate enough to see RED CLIFF in the theater last week. Although it was the cut theatrical version, it was an absolutely incredible movie to watch on the big screen! I had not seen the original uncut versions prior to seeing it in the theater, so now when I watch the uncut versions, I'll get to see all that they cut.

Anyway, I was just blown away at the sheer magnitude and scale of this picture. Some of the shots had me in sheer amazement as to how John Woo did that! For example, Cao Cao's sailing his naval fleet down the Yangtze river; the "tortoise" formation attack scene, the "stealing of 100,000 arrows" scene, and the finale! The finale was truly a GRAND FINALE! Again, the magnitude and scale of shooting that final naval scene with the fire-ramming ships was UNBELIEVABLE! Then the ensuing spreading of the fire was an incredible shot! THEN there's the ground battles that follow and the storming of Cao Cao's fort! From a pure movie making point of view, the production of RED CLIFF was just jaw-dropping! I've never seen a movie, any movie ever, that is on the scale of this movie. If you have the opportunity to see this movie on the big screen, then GO! Get over the fact that its the cut theatrical version. IT'S STILL UNBELIEVABLE!

:khi1j:

DVDs: If there's ever a DVD that you would want as many special features as possible, it would be this one! Zoke Culture has put out a lot of special editions of this movie, but it doesn't appear that any of their special features are subtitled. Plus I'm not convinced that their transfers are the best anyway. The version that I'm looking at getting are the Mei Ah 2-disc versions. So, if any Forum member has these discs, please post whether the special features are subbed and how the transfer is. The Magnolia release doesn't appear to have any special features, which is just stupid on their part! If I'm wrong on that, please post any updates.

:yociexp67:

I got a screener for the Blu-Ray (the US cut).

There's a pretty good amount of extras, including a 2 1/2 hour making-of and a 1/2 hour interview with John Woo.

I haven't finished watching it yet, but the picture and sound are great, and the US edit doesn't seem (at least to this point) to destroy the story.

The Running Man

It's not accurate to call it a "US Cut".

It's should be referred to as (which Magnolia is also calling it) the "International Cut" since it was released in many other countries that way. Magnolia got the rights to and is releasing, on DVD next week, both versions of the movie. I will be getting those releases.

Hopefully the DVD versions have the extras that the Blu Ray does. I'd be pretty pissed if this turns out to be other shot at the DVD owners by including extras on the Blu Ray that aren't on the DVD just to help push the Blu Ray agenda.

There is a Blu Ray uncut (4 hr plus) version available from the UK....and its cheap.....The Blu ray is all region so will play on USA machines.

The special Edition is the uncut, avoid the standard edited edition.....

RED CLIFF BLU RAY UNCUT

Guest WuxiaFan
Hopefully the DVD versions have the extras that the Blu Ray does. I'd be pretty pissed if this turns out to be other shot at the DVD owners by including extras on the Blu Ray that aren't on the DVD just to help push the Blu Ray agenda.

:khi1a:

I'm starting to wonder if that's becoming the trend. Look at Warner Home Video's release of NINJA ASSASSIN. The put all the special features on the BR and not on the DVD. I'm REALLY pissed at that, and I may buy an import version just not to support Warner. So, I hope RED CLIFF doesn't suffer the same fate. DDDHouse emailed me and stated that the Mei Ah version's special features are not subtitled, so I'm going to hold off and check out the Magnolia versions first.

There is a Blu Ray uncut (4 hr plus) version available from the UK....and its cheap.....The Blu ray is all region so will play on USA machines.

The special Edition is the uncut, avoid the standard edited edition.....

David - the UK versions are confusing. Which one(s) contain I & II uncut and have English subbed special features?

:yociexp44:

It's not accurate to call it a "US Cut".

It's should be referred to as (which Magnolia is also calling it) the "International Cut" since it was released in many other countries that way. Magnolia got the rights to and is releasing, on DVD next week, both versions of the movie. I will be getting those releases.

Actually, the "international version" is the original 2 movie edit:

link at Amazon

kingofkungfu2002

The Running Man
Actually, the "international version" is the original 2 movie edit:

Ah, I got mixed up there. :)

Point is, the heavily condensed version of the movie wasn't created by Magnolia or a US studio. It was made before Magnolia got the rights. I think it was maybe the original Chinese studio themselves that created that cut in order to heighten interest in the film to foreign distributors that weren't willing to put out the 2 movies in theaters.

Guest WuxiaFan
Your going to see more and more of this so you might as well upgrade to a blu-ray player, Wal mart has them cheap. This film is worth watching in blu ray anyway, best quality possible.:xd:

My TV only goes to 1080i, so I'm not sure if its worth it until I get a good 1080p HDTV. Plus, when I do, I'm not going to Walmart to get a BR player. I'll most likely go with Oppo Digital's BR player that will play ALL BR regions, ALL DVD regions, and properly convert PAL to NTSC. My current upconverting Oppo 981H does a great job, so I'll stick with that for now. :squigglemouth:

Archived