Recommendations for best contemporary, horror, comedy SB films?

xianzai

I have a number of the IVL Shaws which aren't kf/wuxia and would like some recommendations for films in different genres.

So, of the IVL-released Shaws, which are your favorite contemporary films? Horror? Comedy? Opera?

For ex., my favorite Shaw musical is Blue Skies -- a good Cheng Pei-Pei film.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Vampire

You can't go wrong with any of the Inoue Umetsugu films IMO.

As far as the Huangmei, I like Lin Dai, a lot... She did a handful of non-opera films as well that are very good. The best of which, she plays against Peter Chen Ho in a few musicals that are worth owning - Chen Ho is another fine actor of that era in films like 'The Dancing Millionairess' which are also very good. Guess Who Killed My Twelve Lovers and Madam Slender Plum are another couple I would recommend. There's just so damn many great SBs!

PS: some good reading, despite the continuous typo of 'haungmei' and also sometimes it seems that even though this dude writes a lot about SB he still doesn't get it: http://shawbros.typepad.com/

For Shaw musicals, the most lavish will be Hong Kong Nocturne which features Cheng Pei-pei, Lily Ho & Chin Ping in many song & dance sequences. For Shaws drama, I'd vote for Li Ching's Susanna (contemporary) and Ivy Ling Po's Too Late For Love (warlord era). For huangmei, I like The Love Eterne which shot Ivy Ling Po to fame. For horror, I am waiting for Black Magic 2 before I can comment. For comedy, Li Ching's The Happy Trio is unbeatable.

SamuraiDana

For the record, I'm a big fan of BLUE SKIES as well.

Here are a few to mull over:

DIAU CHARN (1958) - historical drama/Huangmei opera/Shaw's first color film/w. Linda Lin Dai

THE KINGDOM AND THE BEAUTY (1959) - historical romance, beautifully done/with Linda Lin Dai

THE BRIDE NAPPING (1962) - Huangmei opera based on a story from "The Water Margin"/with Betty Loh Ti

THE LADY GENERAL HUA-MULAN (1963) - Ivy Ling Po in the title role/'nuff said

THE BLUE AND THE BLACK, Parts 1 and 2 (1966) - epic melodrama set during the war years, 1930s through the late '40s/Linda Lin Dai sings a tearjerking song in a nightclub in Part 1

HONG KONG RHAPSODY (1967) - HK musical with Li Ching. Delightful.

TEMPTRESS OF A THOUSAND FACES (1968) - contemporary police thriller with several Shaw actresses and some wild action scenes. Much more entertaining than Lily Ho's ANGEL films.

YOUNG PEOPLE (1972) - kung fu stars go to college. Ti Lung and Bolo Yeung play basketball. David Chiang drives a go-kart. Agnes Chan sings.

THE DREAM OF THE RED CHAMBER (1977) - best version I've ever seen of this. Stars Brigitte Lin and Sylvia Chang.

I forgot about Temptress Of A Thousand Faces mainly because it was a VCD-only release. Loved Tina Chin Fei's energy in that one!

Archived