• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Pollard

• The Running Man

• Milkyway

• Bravery

It's supposedly a remake of some recent Hollywood movie (can't remember which).

anyway, the good thing is that Louis Fan (Fan Siu Wong) will appear in the movie and the company that's producing it got him signed with them. Expect more from him this time around.

Hong Kong's doing just fine compared to Hollywood. This is one of very few BIG rip-offs, although I sense more of em is coming (HK remake of Miami Vice being one).

Mark Pollard
It's supposedly a remake of some recent Hollywood movie (can't remember which).

The Hollywood movie you're thinking of is CELLULAR.

The Running Man

It IS an official remake of "Cellular". I believe New Line is even co-funding it (they were the production company of Cellular).

I believe this would make it the first official Hong Kong remake of a US film then?

Anyway, I was surprised with Cellular. I found it to be a pretty good flick. I'm very interested to see how this'll turn out.

Well, I think Running Man you would mean Warner Brothers since New Line no longer exists. They folded into Warner Bros. earlier this year. BUt the trailer looks interesting. I only saw bits and pieces of Cellular, but from what I saw, I want to see the whole thing. :)

The Running Man
Well, I think Running Man you would mean Warner Brothers since New Line no longer exists.

Well, the production of this movie started way before New Line's current status.

Hong Kong remake of the 2004 film Cellular (which I've never actually seen--will have to remedy that soon) directed the late action maestro Benny Chan. An attractive engineer, Grace (Barbie Hsu, of Reign of Assassins), is kidnapped by some unknown villains and tossed into a shed while they look for her brother for equally-unknown reasons. There's a functioning phone in the shed that she's able to rewire in order to call some random person and ask for help. That random person turns out to be low-level debt collector Bob (Louis Koo). Bob understandably thinks this is a prank until he overhears the villains enter the shed and execute someone in front of Grace. He then goes on an adventure causing all sorts of chaos in Hong Kong as he tries to protect Grace's loved ones. He eventually gets some help from a disgraced detective-turned-traffic-cop Fai (Nick Cheung).

The film itself is lots of fun, filled to the brim with suspense as Bob gets into one hair-raising moment after another. Louis Koo overacts a storm as finds himself in an increasingly-dangerous set of situations that evolve from "this can get me arrested" to "this can get me killed." Liu Ye, the main villain, starts off as a cold, calculating killer but grows more and more unhinged as we reach the climax, chewing all sorts of scenery as he faces off with Bob at the airport. Nick Cheung's cop is a very sympathetic character, as he initially doubts what's happening, but has enough detective instinct to start piecing things together from the little information he has. Barbie Hsu is initially just a crying victim, although she occasionally gets some opportunities to rise to the occasion when things get dire.

The film's main problem is its 110-minute running time, which is really a bit too much. There's still 30 minutes left when the characters converge at the airport, where the climax is set. The sudden introduction of a new villain only contributes to drag the movie out longer than it should have been. The movie's action, courtesy of Nicky Li Chung-Chi, was nominated for Best Action Choreography, but lost to Ip Man for obvious reasons. There are a lot of car stunts, foot chases, people sliding down steep hills, characters dodging gunfire, characters dodging forklifts, general property damage, and people shooting at each other. Fan Siu-Wong shows up as one of the killers, but doesn't do much martial arts here. There are some brief fisticuffs between Louis Koo and Liu Ye atop a pallet rack, although it's mainly one sided in the villain's favor; it wouldn't make sense for Koo's Bob to suddenly become a MA expert in this context. As far as stunt-based action goes, it holds its own with Benny Chan's other movies and your typical 80s Jackie Chan film (sans the actual fighting). That alone should be enough to warrant a recommendation.

• Like 3