Drunken Master: Purist's Edition

Guest MacLeod613

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Panmedia stole the legit Soulblade 'Secret Rivals' DVDs.

HKL's BL DVDs had a few problems: Incorrect languages and 'The Big Boss' isn't the uncut Mandarin version.

Actually, the US version of 'Drunken Master' has the best video quality (French looks a bit ****). The Pan Media DVD has combined theatrical subtitles and dubtitles and uses the French DVD which is left in PAL-speed.

'Pedicab Driver' is available on the UK 'Made In Hong Kong' VHS uncut and better quality.

Guest WuxiaFan

David Rees, spannick, Sifu, and chen lung: OK I got it--thanks for the clarifications! From now on, I will never buy a PM disc again! Like I said, I only have a handful out of almost 400 DVDs in my library.

Yes, I have a multi-region player. Actually, I have 2 of them. I'm trying to sell my Malata DVP-558 if anyone is interested.

David Rees, spannick, Sifu, and chen lung: OK I got it--thanks for the clarifications!

Don't be at all offended, I added nothing to my statements other than the fact that they're illegally releasing coprighted films. You can make your own decisions, we can't do that for you. But just keep what we're telling you in mind next time you go to buy a PM DVD, and yet still wish for a "Purist's Edition" of Drunken Master. That's essentially two conflicting actions.

Help that company get put out of business and off store shelves.

A lot of people dont realize there bootlegs thats the problem, the more people find out the better!

A lot of people dont realize there bootlegs thats the problem, the more people find out the better!

The more HONEST people find out, the better.

Tigerstyles

ASDA had the new Columbia UK edition for £4 yesterday. tempted even though i already have the double sided Australian DVD release from Columbia

TheNoArmedAndLeggedBoxer

i have the HKL version which has english audio and mandarin audio not the original cantonese and it has english subs, the video is anamorphic reasoable quality, i am definatley feeling the need for the original cantonese version just to give it the true feel....

The Dragon
He also did 'Big Boss: Redux' and 'Game of Death: Integral'. I'm glad I got these along with his release of Warriors Two as he did some really great work!

What's G.O.D.: Integral? Just curious...

Morgoth Bauglir
What's G.O.D.: Integral? Just curious...

I think he already told you :P

Here's some info about it for you mate!

An unofficial DVD release circling the Internet entitled "Game of Death: Integral" features a 127 min cut of the film featuring:

* A large majority of Bruce Lee's original footage not used in the official release. This is most notable in the final three fights as there is now dialog between Billy Lo and Pasqual as well as with Hakim. The final three fights added up to only 10 minutes in the 1978 release, but the combined length of the fights in this cut is 25 minutes.

* The greenhouse fight in the Hong Kong version is also in this cut along with an extended scene before the fight in which Billy Lo is training on his outdoor balcony as he hears banging noises from the other room. This is actually footage from Meng Long Guojiang with new sound effects added. Also, when Billy comes back to his apartment after the fight, he finds a note reading "Have you two made out your wills?" along with a phone call from Dr. Land in which all he says is "You bastard!" with a follow up villainous laugh.

* The opening theme is replaced with an updated version of the Game of Death theme originally created for the Japanese film Bruce Lee in G.O.D.

* The infamous "cardboard cutout head" shot shown in all other versions has been replaced with a close up shot of Bruce Lee from Jing Wu Men.

* The even more infamous shot of the real corpse of Bruce Lee from his actual funeral has been replaced with a horizontally flipped shot of the outside of the funeral parlor with all of the fans standing outside.

* All of the fake Bruce Lee yells have been replaced with real yells from stock audio.

* The film's ending is an extension of the Hong Kong ending in which Billy Lo is arrested. However, the scene inter-cuts with Billy Lo (from the original Bruce Lee footage) walking back down the stairways of the Red Pepper Restaurant complex ending with him yelling out to the police in Cantonese "Help me!" One officer looks up and replies "Hurry down!" The scene ends with Billy Lo being taken away by the police, then fading to a tracking shot revealing the yellow and black tracksuit laying over top of a chair in an editing room and a narrator reading from Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do discussing "The Void".

* The film also ends with a large number of bloopers and outtakes from Bruce Lee's original Game of Death footage.

The Running Man
Your best shot is to just find a copy of the HK Legends DVD, great release! Near what we're looking for, but what we want will most likely never exist.

The HKL DVD is inferior in virtually every way to the Sony DVD.

For one thing, it's heavily cropped to 1:85 whereas the Sony DVD is in 2:35.

Another is that the HKL DVD has no Cantonese track. And while Sony's is not complete, it does have a Cantonese track.

Also, the subtitles on the HKL are dubtitles that are worse. It was written by someone who was trying to fool people by making it come across as if the subtitles were not based on the dub by changing wording here and there. So in essence, it's an inaccurate dubtitle track! The Sony disc, while also dubtitles, at least changes the characters names to their real Chinese names (so "Wong Fei Hung" instead of "Freddy Wong").

Yeah, the Sony DVD may be far from perfect, but the HKL DVD is nowhere near better.

Well, so then either way your screwed! You can get a sucky disc from Sony or a sucky disc from HKL. Either way it's not much better.

littlefuzzy

I picked up the US release, and while I enjoyed the movie, I was greatly put off by both the missing Cantonese dialogue (replaced with the English Dub) and by the dubtitles as well. One glaring dubtitle moment was when I saw some "hemming and hawing" to stretch out a sentence to fit the mouth flaps: "...Ah yes, well, you see..."

For me, a Purist's edition would JUST be a good quality OAR print, full Cantonese soundtrack, and accurate subtitles... Maybe some deleted scenes, if any were floating around, or that missing footage from the fight at the beginning, but the main thing would just be the first three points.

If anyone had such a thing and wanted to send it my way, I'd be eternally grateful! (unless it would be against forum rules)

thehangman

Im not sure how much is missing fro the fight at the start but would love to see it if there is any footage.

Killer Meteor
Im not sure how much is missing fro the fight at the start but would love to see it if there is any footage.

Wasn't that an error on Ric Meyer's part?

I'm intrigued to know where the extra scene came from - the one you can see on Cinema Of Vengeance, with Jackie training with the wine jars? Was it part of a longer cut, or a special promo short ala 'The Three Styles of Hung Fist' from Heroes Two and 'Back To Red' from Knockabout

chen lung
I'm intrigued to know where the extra scene came from - the one you can see on Cinema Of Vengeance, with Jackie training with the wine jars? Was it part of a longer cut, or a special promo short ala 'The Three Styles of Hung Fist' from Heroes Two and 'Back To Red' from Knockabout

I think the deleted scene came from one of those DM sequels - don't know which one.

Something like this wouldn't be too hard to do as a fan project.

I have the panmedia disc which is OAR and has the original cantonese audio track.

It also has an english dub but I'm not sure if its the old one.

Take the newer dubs and commentary from the HKL disc and the jobs half done.

Archived