Drunken Master: Purist's Edition

Guest MacLeod613

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is all good, but lets not get carried away and keep to the original topic.

Fair enough but like I said mate, Drunken Master: Purist's Edition as it was is not going to happen.

They should just boot it themselves. I bet you could find people who'd pay 50 bucks for a DVD-R of this & I bet they wouldn't be inclined to share someting so expensive or rare. Make a run of 200, take the cash & laugh.

They should just boot it themselves. I bet you could find people who'd pay 50 bucks for a DVD-R of this & I bet they wouldn't be inclined to share someting so expensive or rare. Make a run of 200, take the cash & laugh.

Hmmm... $$$!!!:rolleyes:

I bet you could find people who'd pay 50 bucks for a DVD-R of this

I bet you can't!! :D

People have done their own projects on Drunken Master, it's just Bentley's work was very professionally done!

By the way, does the HKL version of Drunken Master suffer from the PAL speed up?

and what about the Columbia TriStar DVD? as well as the Magnum VHS? cause they somewhat both differ by a few frames, even though both was InverseTelecined to 23.976.

well i do, and i have the Hong Kong Legends DVD, and the Magnum entertainment VHS tape.

i believe the real running time of the film is actually 1 hour and 51 minutes.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Im sticking with my UK "made in hong kong" VHS version, till they get it right!

p.s. who owns Redsun, and why doesn't anyone put this guy out of bussines?

Robotech_Master

I have both the R1 version and the Hong Kong 2-disc set version (the one that came with the other early Yuen Woo Ping movie whose name momentarily escapes me).

I also have an old VHS from Magnum Home Entertainment that I bought in Suncoast one day off the cheapie Chan rack for $10. I had expected it to be dubbed, but was pleasantly surprised to find, despite no indication of this on the box, that it was actually in Cantonese with bilingual HK subs.

The odd thing is, this tape (as well as the LD from which it was presumably sourced) had the complete Cantonese audio track in all places, including those that the Columbia DVD had to replace with bits of the English dub.

Why were neither the R1 version nor the R0 version able to find this version? Surely they could have found the laserdisc in the hands of some collector and cleaned the audio up enough to pass muster.

:confused: ummm, people have been patient for many years now.

Well, it's not likely to happen. The companies who own the rights aren't letting go, eg. Sony Pictures! It's not magical; they got it, no one else does, they're not doing anything good with it, so no Purist's Edition. The real thing to do is pray someone better'll buy the rights.

Your best shot is to just find a copy of the HK Legends DVD, great release! Near what we're looking for, but what we want will most likely never exist. It never has for 36th Chamber, Five Deadly Venoms, or 7 Grandmasters!

Guest WuxiaFan

I believe the best version of DRUNKEN MASTER is the PanMedia version that contains the original Cantonese audio track and is uncut. Although PanMedia is a budget distributor, they have put out a few absolutely incredible discs, and this one is one of them. The transfer is crystal clear and Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 (OAR). The English subs are also excellent--well written and easy to read. There is also an English dub track, but it is not the classic old school dub. With a budget distrib, this disc does not have any special features to speak of, except for a few trailers. Also, there is not a Chapter Select menu option. You just chose the audio option and then the entire movie plays. However, I knew this before I bought it, but I wanted DM with the original Cantonese audio track and uncut. This disc is available at HKFlix. Here is the link:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.540377/qx/details.htm

I also own the HK version by Mei Ah. It is Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 (OAR) and has excellent special features. It does have a Cantonese audio track, but it's not the original track, and this version is edited. I owned this version before the PanMedia version. I did look at the HKL version, as I am a huge fan of HKL, but both the Mei Ah and HKL versions contain newer, less desirable audio tracks. I would HIGHLY recommend the PanMedia version of DRUNKEN MASTER.

Speaking of HKL, they have put out the absolute best versions of Bruce Lee's first 4 films with their Platinum 2-Disc versions. These are all completely remastered, original audio tracks, and finally, completely uncut. They are truly treasures. If you don't own these versions, pick them up quickly before they go out of print.

Killer Meteor

OK people, some facts

1. HKL's Drunken Master is dreadful. Its heavily cropped and does not have the right lanaguage - or the original English dub (though I prefer the newer one)

2. Panmedia are bootlegging scum who have wrecked the market. Don't support them.

Panmedia as Killer Meteor stated are bootleggers and messing up any chance we have of seeing some of these classic movies released not only here in the US but almost anywhere.

Everyone has the right to make their own choice and purchase what you want, but I want my money going to a real distributor who paid for the rights to release the movie so they can continue releasing more...hopefully. :rolleyes:

Although PanMedia is a budget distributor

Where the hell did you make that assumption! PanMedia is am ILLEGAL distributor.

What would be the best print of DM? Are there any with the OAR? The OG canto track is on the LD. I'm sure there's some good subs out there. Anyone with a computer & freeware can make this happen.

Guest WuxiaFan

To Sifu: How long have you been reading kungfucinema.com? I've been reading KFC since 2002 and Mark Pollard has referred to Panmedia as a budget distrib, as well as Crash Cinema Ground Zero, many times in his reviews and articles. Panmedia titles are pure bootleggers, but they're also public domain. A lot of films from the Shaw Bros. and Golden Harvest libraries were out there in unauthorized form for years and years, so US publishers are not going to enforce their copywrite on these titles.

Just to clarify, I'm not pushing or advocating support of Panmedia. I only own a handful of their DVDs, out of my entire library. I always look for and buy the original issue disc. However, Panmedia has come out with a few excellent discs, such as the DM version above, and Secret Rivals 1 and 2. The Mei Ah and Crash Masters versions of SR 1 and 2 were crap. The best version of Tsui Hark's The Blade is a Panmedia version. The only version of the classic Pedicab Driver is a Panmedia version. If you want to own Shaolin Vs. Lama, the only version is a Panmedia verison. Practically all of my SB films are the Celesital/IVL versions or the DD versions.

As far as Drunken Master, the copywrited versions out there are crap. They’re either edited and/or not the original language, and the US version is the worst. Panmedia has the only uncut, original language version out there, so I'm happy to own it and enjoy it. It would be nice if Bey Logan puts Drunken Master on his "to do" list after Fist of Legend. If he does, I'll be the first in line to get it as long as it's uncut and original language.

Panmedia should not be supported in any way. ( Just because a film has not been released does not mean its in the public domain!)

Secret Rivals 1 + 2 have been released in the UK in excellent widescreen original language versions, Shaolin Vs Lama has also been released in the uk (full screen) as has The Blade.

Get a multi region player there cheap enough.

If you cannot get a disc legally i.e. its not out anywhere then ask for a trade on this forum and others, rather than give money to bootleggers and those that support them such as HK Flix. (I have a dvdr of Pedicab Driver taken from the UK VHS if anybody is interested).

Imagine you are a distributor and are thinking of releasing some HK movies, you go into your local store and see the same film available (bootleg) everywhere, would you then bother?...Of course not, Linn put it much better in many of his posts in the past, do not support these then we have more chance of getting legal and good quality versions.

the Panmedia DVD for DRUNKEN MASTER is good because it was the work of a dedicated Fan who was reportedly ripped of by the Thief.

same goes for WARRIORS TWO i think.

and if the Fan was not ripped off by PM, it's even worse as that Fan supports a lousy Thief with good work.

PM's own work is so bad i have no words to describe the incompetence behind every Release.

i once tried to offer my own good work to the Thief to see how he reacts and what he would offer. Sadly there never came a response as i would have LOVED to see what lousy Bootleggers would have been willing to spend or give.

it seems some fools can be talked over with some free "DVDs" for their work and PM releases their work in return. WOW.

whoever buys this worthless crap is responsible that good DVDs are losing Numbers. not the Person who offers - the Folks who support him are responsible.

Archived