Drunken Master: Purist's Edition

Guest MacLeod613

Guest MacLeod613

Is there any word on when (or if) this is going to be available? (Or was it already available and did I miss it?)

Sorry to keep bringing it up, but I've been looking forward to this for a while, and I'm wondering if it's ever gonna happen.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was supposed to get put out I believe around the latter part of last year but it never surfaced.

From the last I heard as to it getting a release, well I wouldn't hold your breath mate which is a shame as I was looking forward to it too! :(

hey evryone, im back, its been awhile and seeing this place has had an upgrade too :D

but i came looking how were things with a Drunken Master Purist's Editing, and came across this.

may i ask, what has happened or what is the progress like? i myself was looking forward to it as well very much.

Has anyone got the latest UK release of DM?

I'm just wondering whether it has the original English dub and cantonese track.

Righteous Master

Could someone please provide a link or be quite specific as to what exactly the Drunken Master purist's edition is and who is releasing it? I have never heard of this before and would really appreciate some more info.

I contacted the guy who was coming out with the DVD just last month and unfortunately at this moment in time it will not be coming out.

Has anyone got the latest UK release of DM?

I'm just wondering whether it has the original English dub and cantonese track.

By the looks of it mate it looks to me like a direct port of the R1 releases...same specs, same extras and the same artwork.

Here is part of the message he sent to me. I'm pretty sure he won't mind me posting these parts so that your questions are answered:

"Yeah, I felt bad that I let a lot of people down... but also part of it was because I didn't want to see my work snatched up by that asshat from "Red Sun"... supposedly he stole my Warriors Two DVD and made it his own. Plus, at the time I started work on DM, I was hired by Rarescope to work on the Showdown at the Cotton Mill DVD."

"To keep things short, things have gotten a bit complicated over the years. Changing colleges, work/internship issues, etc, etc, etc. All this being said, DM: Purist's Edition never actually got completed. We were making progress until various "fans" kept trying to add new things to the project, it got too complicated, and I came to the conclusion that I couldn't make everyone happy.

I may try to get back to it someday, but for now, it's just a borderline lost cause."

Hope that answers your questions. A shame I know :(

-OAR of the Film

-All language tracks ever made officially

-Accurate Subtitles

-Clean print

-High Quality

-Commentaries ever made for this film

-the Deleted Scenes

im sure there was more i would have added, but those are the bottom line for me on what i wanted to add for a release of the Purist's Edition.

-OAR of the Film

-All language tracks ever made officially

-Accurate Subtitles

-Clean print

-High Quality

-Commentaries ever made for this film

-the Deleted Scenes

Sorry, but sadly enough they don't make DVDs like that. The only companies that have gotten close to making releases like that are Dragon Dynasty and HKL, and neither of them own rights to that. Only Sony does in the West, and their release royally sucks :( It doesn't even have a full original soundtrack, it does have an excellent print though. I will give it that.

no problem.

to Sifu, that was a list of what a Purist's Edition would contain, of course there is not one DVD or lrealse out there that has all these qualities, but this is something that can be achieved by the studio themselves and with the right sources it can be done at home with the right stuff.

to Sifu, that was a list of what a Purist's Edition would contain, of course there is not one DVD or lrealse out there that has all these qualities, but this is something that can be achieved by the studio themselves and with the right sources it can be done at home with the right stuff.

Until Sony lets go of the rights in the West that isn't gonna happen. Usually definitive editions always come from either the UK or U.S. :mad:

But we can always dream. Remember though there's still a good commentary from Ric Meyers and Jeff Yang. Awesome one to tell you the truth :D

Guest JopokHime
Until Sony lets go of the rights in the West that isn't gonna happen. Usually definitive editions always come from either the UK or U.S.

But we can always dream. Remember though there's still a good commentary from Ric Meyers and Jeff Yang. Awesome one to tell you the truth

The "Purist Edition" was going to be a fan version not sold in stores but offered to forum members here.

For the Warriors Two dvd he had taken the HKL print and added the original english dub that HKL did not include with subtitles in the spots that were cut from the dub.

All you had to do was trade the creator a dvd and you got a copy.

I still have my Warriors Two dvd and when the whole fandom vs. redsun asshat battle was going on I mentioned that DM was not being released because of said asshat.

Damn shame as i'll be stuck with my crappy version of DM forever if I want to hear one of my favorite dubs of all time.

Fuck you redsun.

For the Warriors Two dvd he had taken the HKL print and added the original english dub that HKL did not include with subtitles in the spots that were cut from the dub.

It was the fox version... not the HKL. The fox version has a much superior picture quaility.

He also did 'Big Boss: Redux' and 'Game of Death: Integral'. I'm glad I got these along with his release of Warriors Two as he did some really great work!

I still have my Warriors Two dvd and when the whole fandom vs. redsun asshat battle was going on I mentioned that DM was not being released because of said asshat.

When is that gonna ever end, doesn't Celestial/IVL care that they're literally makin millions off "their" releases at Suncoasts and FYEs all across the U.S.?! :confused:

He also did 'Big Boss: Redux' and 'Game of Death: Integral'. I'm glad I got these along with his release of Warriors Two as he did some really great work!

Hey Fab, what's up with that GOD:Integral? I'm interested in what's different about this title...

:)

what they also need to do is to dig out the original material of the film, and thus find scenes that were never properly documented in DVDs and through them, including the film, they should do a complete restoration.

the UK or Europe usually does bring out better edition of DVDs.

Hey Fab, what's up with that GOD:Integral? I'm interested in what's different about this title...

:)

Here's some info about it for you mate!

An unofficial DVD release circling the Internet entitled "Game of Death: Integral" features a 127 min cut of the film featuring:

* A large majority of Bruce Lee's original footage not used in the official release. This is most notable in the final three fights as there is now dialog between Billy Lo and Pasqual as well as with Hakim. The final three fights added up to only 10 minutes in the 1978 release, but the combined length of the fights in this cut is 25 minutes.

* The greenhouse fight in the Hong Kong version is also in this cut along with an extended scene before the fight in which Billy Lo is training on his outdoor balcony as he hears banging noises from the other room. This is actually footage from Meng Long Guojiang with new sound effects added. Also, when Billy comes back to his apartment after the fight, he finds a note reading "Have you two made out your wills?" along with a phone call from Dr. Land in which all he says is "You bastard!" with a follow up villainous laugh.

* The opening theme is replaced with an updated version of the Game of Death theme originally created for the Japanese film Bruce Lee in G.O.D.

* The infamous "cardboard cutout head" shot shown in all other versions has been replaced with a close up shot of Bruce Lee from Jing Wu Men.

* The even more infamous shot of the real corpse of Bruce Lee from his actual funeral has been replaced with a horizontally flipped shot of the outside of the funeral parlor with all of the fans standing outside.

* All of the fake Bruce Lee yells have been replaced with real yells from stock audio.

* The film's ending is an extension of the Hong Kong ending in which Billy Lo is arrested. However, the scene inter-cuts with Billy Lo (from the original Bruce Lee footage) walking back down the stairways of the Red Pepper Restaurant complex ending with him yelling out to the police in Cantonese "Help me!" One officer looks up and replies "Hurry down!" The scene ends with Billy Lo being taken away by the police, then fading to a tracking shot revealing the yellow and black tracksuit laying over top of a chair in an editing room and a narrator reading from Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do discussing "The Void".

* The film also ends with a large number of bloopers and outtakes from Bruce Lee's original Game of Death footage.

The greenhouse fight in the Hong Kong version is also in this cut along with an extended scene before the fight in which Billy Lo is training on his outdoor balcony as he hears banging noises from the other room. This is actually footage from Meng Long Guojiang with new sound effects added. Also, when Billy comes back to his apartment after the fight, he finds a note reading "Have you two made out your wills?" along with a phone call from Dr. Land in which all he says is "You bastard!" with a follow up villainous laugh.

that bit was so inventive

Thanks for the reply, Fab. Btw, please check out my thread under Golden Harvest films for Bob Clouses' version of G0D. I'm interested in what others think of points I've made.

Archived