Which edition of kung fu on sale is widescreen? (Morgoth?)

thundered mantis

thundered mantis

Recently I have seen a trailer of this one and I´m truly impressed with Wang Li Pang kicks!

I know the movie will surely be very idiotic, but I need to see it. Thing is, there seems to be like three or four versions around, and except the BCI they all seem to be fullscreen? What about the Groundzero´s?

Morgoth I´ve read your review on amazon man, could you point me in the right direction? Is the BCi the one to go for? Thx in advance :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey Bro, I get a lot of my stuff from hkflix, and they have this cool feature where you can compare the different version's features and running times, and such. They do have a letterboxed version of the film. Here's a link to the comparison chart for the different versions-

http://www.hkflix.com/compare.asp?pid=2159&pid=2169&pid=528838&pid=1753

Yeah, the movie's silly, but there are some good actions scenes. IMO it's worth checking out if you get it cheap in the set they have (which has other collection worthy flicks too).:)

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't remember the Brentwood version of Kung Fu For Sale being widescreen. I can't find my copy, but I'm 99% sure it is full screen. Somebody will have to confirm this.

EDIT- I'm rereading your post Bob. Do you have the Brentwood version? I think I would remember it being widescreen. But maybe I don't since I didn't think the movie was great or anything.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

The version of KUNG FU ON SALE that I own is part of the 10 movie set "FISTS OF FIRE, SWORDS OF DEATH" from Brentwood Home Video/ BCI Eclipse LLC. It is letterboxed, however it's only about 1:85:1 ratio, not 2:35:1 which was it's original theatrical ratio. Still, it adds a lot to the image, which is faded and a little grainy, but doesn't have a lot of speckling and scratches. Typical old school English dubbing. DRAGON LEE VS THE FIVE BROTHERS and FIGHTING ACE are two more titles from this compilation that are widescreen too.

Hope that helps Thundered Mantis. You really can't beat $14 for ten movies. And guess what? They all worked! Unlike a lot of sets I've bought from other companies- Yes VideoAsia, you're one of the teabag garglers- where only half the movies play, or have sound, or are what they say they are.

Morgoth Bauglir

Sweet. I'm glad to be wrong. I'm gonna have to dig that 10-pack out. I haven't watched it in forever. I hope I didn't sell it. Is that the 10-pack with Lightning Kung Fu on it?

thundered mantis

Thank you both, guys. I´ve ordered the Brentwood version. Hope it has more good kung aside Wang Li Pang bootwork :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Like I said, KFOS isn't going to be knocking EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER aside or anything as far as classic kung fu movies go. But it's a fun little film.

There's certainly $14 bucks worth of entertainment in the 10 films though!:)

Enjoy!

thundered mantis

Finally the Brentwood ed arrived, and I´d say it´s very slightly widescreen. I made a couple screenshots, hope I post them right

kungfuonsale2or5.th.jpg

ndvd000qf6.th.png

I made a careful comparative with the clip Toby Russell posted on youtube, and TR´s source is a bit wider than Brentwood´s. TR´s also got a bit more image upside. So Brentwood version is not perfect, but it´s likely the best easily available vers...

If someone wants to see more screens, please tell.

BTW, those aren´t from the 10 pack, but from the Brentwood single disc. Dunno if this edition may be different from the 10 pack anyway.

Archived