BREAKING NEWS!!! "TONY JAA is missing"

SiamKnight

I watched this from local Thai TV. Tony Jaa has mysteriously disappeared for 3 months without a trace. Ong Bak 2 production has stopped. It is only 80% completed. No one knows where he is, no one has seen him. The media has talked to his father, his master Panna and everyone that is closed to him. No one has seen him... Sia Jiang is keeping Ong Bak 2 set alive and still paying for the crews eventhough the production has stopped for 3 months... Sia Jiang is losing money everyday as they haven't found any sign of Tony Jaa. There are many different unconfirmed rumors going around the country. Some said he ran away with the money for the movie. I don't think this is true. but the only fact is that he is missing. Let's pray and hope for happy ending. We do not want another tragedy like how we lost Bruce Lee more than 30 years ago.

Link Below is the news, if someone who can translate Thai, Please translate this for us.

http://news.mcot.net/entertain/inside.php?value=bmlkPTE1MjUwJm50eXBlPWNsaXA=

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Pollard

According to a translation on the TonyJaa.org forums, Jaa is not missing but rather has spent the last three months on a retreat supposedly to cope with stress and severe financial setbacks.

http://www.tonyjaa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3958

I wouldn't put too much stock into this news unless it makes its way on to a more credible news source that is able to sort out the facts. It wasn't long ago that he was showing off promo footage of ONG BAK 2, which led to a number of overseas acquisitions. I find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't have enough backers to float him along through the end of production, even if he is having money trouble. There isn't enough information to even speculate with any degree of accuracy what may actually be happening. I'd say wait and see till we hear more before jumping to conclusions.

I certainly hope the "missing" part is just rumor or maybe some kind of publicity stunt. I could believe Tony might be feeling stressed out over completing his directorial debut, maybe he's suffering from a film maker's version of writer's block, pressuring himself to live up to fans' high expectations.

According to a translation on the TonyJaa.org forums, Jaa is not missing but rather has spent the last three months on a retreat supposedly to cope with stress and severe financial setbacks.

http://www.tonyjaa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3958

I wouldn't put too much stock into this news unless it makes its way on to a more credible news source that is able to sort out the facts. It wasn't long ago that he was showing off promo footage of ONG BAK 2, which led to a number of overseas acquisitions. I find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't have enough backers to float him along through the end of production, even if he is having money trouble. There isn't enough information to even speculate with any degree of accuracy what may actually be happening. I'd say wait and see till we hear more before jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps he is on vacation and relaxing somewhere but Isn't that weird to have left without telling anyone at the Studio and didn't just show up at the movie set for work 90 days in a roll? Wouldn't that be so irresponsible? The news from tonyjaa.org was from July 8th. It's July 25th now in Thailand. The entertainment media in Thailand now follow this closely and waiting for Tony Jaa to return. From the Link http://www.tonyjaa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3958 says that currently Sia jeang has asked Pinkleaw to manage Ong Bak 2 for a while until Tony return. Pinkleaw also said that the movie One Bak 2 will finish and release upon schedule yet he didn't mention anything about return of Tony Jaa.

Anyway It is uncharacteristic for Tony Jaa who is a leading actor and director to have left his studio while the movie was still on production like that. Perhaps this is some kind of HOAX to promote the movie. I really hope it is. And I hope to see Tony Jaa comes out to the press soon.

FROM

varietyasiaonline

Tony Jaa goes missing from new film

Written by Kong Rithdee

Monday, 28 July 2008

BANGKOK -- What do you do when the star and director of a major film whose footage drew international interest in Cannes goes AWOL?

On Friday, Sahamongkol prexy Somsak Techaratanaprasert held a press conference to confirm that Tony Jaa has been missing since June.

"But I love him as a son," said Techaratanaprasert as the studio insists the much-anticipated Thai film "Ong-bak 2" will be finished in time for its scheduled Dec. 5 release in Thailand.

Jaa, who became a first-time helmer after scoring a global hit as the Siamese kick-boxing sensation in "Ong-bak" and "Tom-yum-goong," has spent nearly three years shooting "Ong-bak 2."

The pic's show reel generated buzz at the Cannes Film Market. But Jaa's producers at Sahamongkol Film Intl. couldn't reach him by phone.

His family said Jaa has suffered a lot of stress from the shoot and has gone to meditate in the jungle. Reports in the Thai press suggest a case of budget mismanagement that resulted in Jaa spending over 200 million baht ($6.25 million) without finishing the film.

"I guarantee that this is not a case of financial fraud, and I have no intention of pursuing any legal action against him," Techaratanaprasert said. "We're running behind schedule, and some of our international contracts have been cancelled because of that. I know he loves this film very much, so I just want him to finish the film because there's only a little work left."

Prachya Pinkaew, who directed the first "Ong-bak" and "Tom-yum-goong" (shown as "The Protector" in the U.S.), confirmed that he will step in to edit the footage and maybe direct the rest of the movie.

"Jaa has little experience directing," said Pinkaew. "He's spent nearly $7.8 million. The film is almost finished, so I'll try to see what I can do with the footage that he's shot."

ORIGINAL LINK

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/6559/53/

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117989596.html (alternate)

Well, if it is true that Jaa has went to a retreat to cope with stress, can you really blame him? He had his success pretty much explode and maybe in a way, he was pressured to direct Ong-Bak 2. I will pray that he does come back and complete the film, because it would be very good for the Jaa.

Lets just hope that Tony Jaa gets his head back in the right place and finishes this film. It really looks like its gonna be a great film.

Didn't Raymond Chow ask Sammo Hung to help Jackie finish Project A for similar reasons (Jackie had a reputation for going way over budget, too)? I recall Jackie was also helped by Frankie Chan with directing another over-budget, & past schedule movie, Armor of God 2: Operation Condor? In other words I hope Tony isn't too embarrassed by this, even the best need help sometimes. And Dave Chapelle's done alright, despite his little vacation. As for how well Ong Bak 2 will do, if it's almost finished already, & it's as good as the teaser looks, regardless of whether buyers want it right now, they will once fans like us see it on dvd, generate interest, & action fans in general start demanding worldwide theatrical releases. No worries, Tony, back to work.

Guest Yi-Long

Kinda reminds me of Enter the Dragon, where Bruce also went missing or refused to come to the set, at the beginning of the shooting, and they had to film around him while Linda was trying to keep everyone calm.

I just hope Tony gets his rest, and that he will be OK.

Such a talented guy, plus he seems like a nice fella...

Mark Pollard

Wise Kwai's Thai Journal has an update on an interview that Jaa held on Thai TV.

He looks miserable. And what's this nonsense about black magic? The media over there are circling like buzzards. It's sad.

The good news is that he said he wants to go back to work. That's the best thing he can do at this point. Get in there, finish the job and put this drama behind him.

You can only feel bad for Tony after reading that. He looks very upset. Now that Prachya is coming back to the helm and Tony returning to complete the film, it's going to be a good thing I think. At the same time, if I could give some advice for Tony, why doesn't he try to somehow learn all about the ropes of filmmaking and not just action. I mean really learn the ropes, from editing to cinematography. Prachya said he has very little experience directing. So after Ong-Bak 2 is done and all the promo work is done, I think Tony should take some time off to really learn the "business".

Mark Pollard

Variety is now reporting on the same interview with Tony with slightly different spin.

Tony Jaa surfaces on talk show

Actor, director counters recent allegations

By KONG RITHDEE

BANGKOK -- Tony Jaa appeared on a TV talk show Monday night to counter the allegations by Sahamongkol Film Int'l over his disappearance from the set and alleged overspending of Baht250 million budget of "Ong-bak 2."

Jaa, who broke down at one point in front of the cameras, claimed that he has received only Baht117 million from the studio and that he didn't abandon the set but had gone off to "pursue his artistic quest."

Last Friday, the head of Sahamongkol held a press conference announcing that the actor and director of the much-anticipated "Ong-bak 2" had gone AWOL and that Prachya Pinkaew, helmer of the original "Ong-bak," would step in to edit the footage and perhaps direct the rest of the film, which is 80% completed.

"I'm shocked at what happened," said Jaa. "I didn't receive Baht250 million. There must be a misunderstanding over the number and I have proof of all my spending.

"There are so many problems. I went away to focus on the artistic angle of the film. I make this film not with the number and figures in mind, but for its artistic quality. I invest my effort in it with almost spiritual devotion."

The star also apologized Sahamongkol if his quest for artistic excellence has created trouble for the production, but insisted that he never forgot how he got so far with the help and support of the studio.

He also expressed his intention to finish the film, though discussions with all parties involved will be crucial.

Early reports suggested that Jaa went to meditate in the jungle.

"Ong-bak 2" is set to open in Thailand on Dec 5.

Well I would love Tony to get some help from some Big HK Directors or even dare I say it, one of our US Directors to produce his next film after this.

Mark Pollard

If what Jaa says is true about his spiritual devotion, he has my greatest admiration. We need more people like that in the industry who are purists and put a high value on artistic integrity in what they do. What is unfortunate is that movies are first and foremost a business and this often conflicts with people who share Tony's perspective.

SlothStyleKungFu

Its all a bit muddled and possibly doubtful we'll ever get the whole story.

There is clearly a financial problem since both sides claim that- producers claim overspending, Jaa claims being shortchanged.

Regardless if Tony stormed off for emotional, spiritual, artistic reasons, or all of the above, it shows he probably isn't equipped with the stuff to handle all the responsibilities and pressure that comes with helming a film,... at least, not yet anyway. In a perfect world of film making people would throw money at you and let you have free reign to do whatever with no deadline, but that just isn't the case.

Lets hope that all this behind the scenes stress doesn't result in a total piece of garbage.

Didn't Lo Lieh and Chen Kuan Tai both try directing and hated it, I think he wasn't happy with his last movie and tried to take it in his own hands and I couldn't blame him there, hopefully he can get it together, the footage so far looks awesome.

gravedigger666

My thaifriend said Tony will not return to complete movie.There`s big conflict about money between tony and film company and solving looks veeeery unlikely.

Tony Jaas dad has given comment tony is weird....those are 3rd hand info so do not lynch me if they are not right.

By Mark Pollard • August 29, 2008

Thai media are reporting that Tony Jaa has returned to the set of his unfinished movie, ONG BAK 2, to complete production. He has also handed over directing duties to action director and mentor Panna Rittikrai.

This follows weeks of uncertainty over the fate of the production when the martial arts star in his directing debut abruptly walked off the set and disappeared after running out of money.

This situation led to sordid rumors and media speculation over Jaa’s mental and emotional state which was fueled even further by a teary-eyed appearance on television where the star offered a public apology. (Wise Kwai’s Thai Film Journal has a rundown on the previous drama.)

Despite this, feedback all across the internet landscape suggests that martial arts movie fans haven’t lost faith in Jaa, especially with promo footage from ONG BAK 2 still fresh in their minds.

Source: Wise Kwai Thai Film Journal

Honestly I don't see him losing any future roles as an Actor Jaa is such a Hot Commodity right now and when this movie is finally finished he is going to be right back on top. He just bite off a lot more then he could chew at this moment.

Too bad for Tony! But from the moviemakers perspective, very understandable... nobody wants to bet on a flake!

i don't see how he's a flake, he just buckled under the weight of making a film many of film makers do it, shit fucking frances ford coppala did it and this was after the god father, anybody remember apocolypse now? the 16 month debacle of the film(i know george lucas was laughing his ass off and dancing in his mansion when that happened.). i can't really see tony jaa the actor losing wokr over tony jaa the director. just doesn't make a lique of sense.

Archived