First footage of YIP MAN (2008)

udar55

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lookin pretty damn good! I havent been paying much attention to this yet, but I didnt know (or forgot) that Fan Sui Wong was in this. Now Im even more pumped, I didnt even recognize him at first.

Im not holding my breath on this one. Is this a movie on the life of Yip Man or Wong Fei Hung? I hope they dont drop the ball on this one, Yip Man deserves a good production based on his wonderful life! I guess we will have to wait and see. :cool:

The Running Man
Is this a movie on the life of Yip Man or Wong Fei Hung?

Dude, the name of the movie sort of gives it away. ;)

By the way, Sammo's doing the choreography on it?

I hope this Wilson Yip/Donnie collaboration continues in the quality tradition of SPL and not Dragon Tiger Gate or Flash Point.

anyone remember the old school REAL wing chung rooftop fight footage?

The footage from Warrior's Journey?

What was wrong with Flash Point?

there's nothing wrong with the direction (Yip knows film-making and how to make every shot captivating) but the story of choice, however, is bad (clichéd buildup mostly and a typical message).

From what I understand, Yip was going for a different storyline which was to be as dark, brutal and tragic like SPL but things didn't go as planned due to: 1) the censorship which forced Yip to make a Cat2 movie; 2) the local economical situation in Macau (which the movie was originally was supposed to be set in) was booming and increasing drastically which made it impossible for Yip and crew to find any available crew members.

The footage from Warrior's Journey?

was it on there? i cant remember if it was that or curse of the dragon.

wasn't with bruce, just a bunch of dudes in the 50's beating the crap out of eachother with wing chun on a rooftop. looked pretty brutal

I used to think Donnie Yen as the top martial artist and I always like him. As I dwell more into martial art I think Donnie has not reached master level yet, he may be in the superior expert catergory. First of all the true spirit of a master is all about self defense and spiritual superior through physical capability. Yet Donnie is cocky. He always shows off his speed and power; a true master does not need speed and power but need to control. He is also a jack of all trade, but good at none. Look at Jet Li, who is a true master because he is humble and life-long Buddhist follower. His religion practice helps him balancing out his aggressive. Even for Jackie Chan, already a legend himself Jackie always think highly of his stuntmen and treats them like family.

With that being said, I am looking forward to see this movie but i am not highly anticipating. Yip Man is a master, but Donnie has not yet achieve the highest spiritual level of a martial artist. In other word he is not fully qualified to represent Yip Man on screen.

With that being said, I am looking forward to see this movie but i am not highly anticipating. Yip Man is a master, but Donnie has not yet achieve the highest spiritual level of a martial artist. In other word he is not fully qualified to represent Yip Man on screen.

I see what you mean, but who else is there? When it comes to moviemaking, experience in martial arts and action on screen is what really matters in order to make the character credible as a true master. You still need an actor, and not just a martial arts expert.

doug maverick

i don't think it matters one bit that donnie is not a master cause he is a master martial arts screen fighter. and for a martial arts film thats whats needed.

Imagine Donnie Yen showing off his punch and kicks in slo mo during the movie. Would it fit into the theme of this movie? All I hope is that Donnie would refrain himself from unnecessary movements.

From what I see he's been using a lot of weapons in the past: Nunchuku (fist of fury series), pole, baton,.... I can find somebody who is better than him at those weapons. He kicks well because he takes some tae kwon do, then again Hwang Jang Lee surpasses him at that. And guess what, in every movie he shows off his high kick with slo mo.

I am everybit a big fan of donnie, but lately i find him cocky and aggressive. He is a life-long wushu-practicioner, yet he has not archive what has been portrayed as the spirit of wushu in Fearless. One great thing about Donnie is that he has strong on-screen charisma.

was it on there? i cant remember if it was that or curse of the dragon.

wasn't with bruce, just a bunch of dudes in the 50's beating the crap out of eachother with wing chun on a rooftop. looked pretty brutal

Yeah it was on A Warriors Journey. Bruce 'borrowed' the footage from his Wing Chun senior Wong Sheung Leung and never got around to returning it...:D

so much bashing on donnie..wats up with that, don't u know that bruce was a cocky as well, all the best masters are cocky to a point and very well, you have to be.

What makes Jet or Jackie a true master, the amount of movies, the style, what? cause everything that jackie and jet has done, donnie has done in his film career. No dissing on Jackie or Jet, both are good in their own rights. But has jackie or jet done, MMA, nope.

Donnie's style is modern, it does not have the traditional style, like jackie or jet but he has portrayed them in previous movies and did a fine job.

Who is the top action coreographer now? exactly...

Anyways, i'm excited to see this, anything with donnie is gonna be something to look forward too.

my two cents

Sammo is a choreo genius. I'm excited to see what he's come up with for this movie. Hopefully there will be frequent action as Donnie Yen is an awful actor.

Archived