Sanshiro Sugata and it's remakes

Chinatown Kid

Chinatown Kid

I was trying to track down Sanshiro Sugata on DVD along with it's 2 remakes. One of the remakes is called Dawn of Judo, I don't know what the other title is but hopefully someone on here can tell me that knows. Does anyone know where to find these 3 films on DVD or possibly have it to offer in a trade? Also any opinions on the films would be great, thanks! :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey Bro, I have SANSHIRO SUGATA 1 and 2. But the DVD's are from Mei Ah Entertainment- the same company that massacred the Japanese to English subs on SHINOBI NO MONO and it's sequel ZOKU SHINOBI NO MONO. SANSHIRO received the same treatment. They're translating from Japanese to Chinese. Then from Chinese to English. It's not pretty. You can still follow most of what's going on, but there are a few confusing parts. The picture quality is okay. As for the movie, it's good, not great. If you're looking for action, this is not the place to find it. The Judo is portrayed in an artistic fashion, not to show off any techniques. This fits with the tone of the film, but is not so exciting for Judo enthusiasts. A very important match takes place off screen in fact. I haven't watched the sequel yet, and have no info on DAWN OF JUDO.

There's some decent Judo fighting in Johhny To's THROWDOWN if you haven't seen it.

Chinatown Kid

Thanks for the info Bob, I found Sanshiro Sugata 1 and 2 at HKFlix, it's the Australian versions on DVD-9. The sequel sounds interesting as the main character takes on an American boxer named Killer lol. Now if I could just find that film Dawn of Judo, I want to own these films because Judo is not portrayed that often on screen. I have seen Throwdown several years back and did enjoy it. I really want to see that recently released JiuJitsu movie Red Belt as well.

sanshiro sugata was remade in the 80s for television i believe

part two of the kurosawa one had him fighting a karate guy, can't remember a boxer. its been a while since ive watched part two. have to remember, it was the only film the govt "forced" kurosawa to do, so he considered it his least favorite

redbelt was a very good portrayal of bjj, and also some of the politics that come along with it. it was touching to see inosanto in the film as well.

not gonna lie, it had its hokeyness, but it really made me happy as well. kind of a "why do you REALLY train" type thing

throwdown was a goodn...and i love the sanshiro sugata reference. i believe the song the slow fellow sings at the end is the song from the 60's version of sanshiro sugata.

avoid brazilian brawl at all costs.

im surprised with the success (and sheer beauty) of city of god the brazilian film industry hasnt touched the topic of jiujitsu yet.....instead they gave us "bruce lee versus gay power"...go figure

Chinatown Kid

Wow hard to believe they ever made a movie called Bruce Lee vs Gay Power, my mind just boggles picturing what that flick is like. I read in the book Encyclopedia of Martial Arts Movies that description about the star taking on the boxer named Killer in part II, guess that's one of Ric's inaccuracies for ya. I really want to get Red Belt when it comes to DVD as well.

well there are "american dogs' in it, just don't remember the boxer. again i wouldnt be suprised seeing as the govt made him do this one...kinda like a pro-patria film

Chinatown Kid

Well a boxer or a Karateka, either way I'll be looking forward to seeing Judo matched up against another fighting style. I know these films are old so I'm not expecting great fights but it will be nice to own these classic films anyway. :) Just wish I could find that Dawn of Judo film now.

Chinatown Kid

Actually I've already ordered the Australian versions of both Sanshiro Sugata films from HKFlix but thanks for the offer, that's mighty nice of you.

Archived