Video Asia... what's the deal?

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Why on some of their discs the feature skips (apparently) through all the insta-action fight scenes. So you have to watch both to catch the whole film? If that's even the problem. I remember returning The One-Armed Swordsmen thinking it was cut with more than half the film missing. Though my replacement copy works fine. What is it that's wrong with their discs? Anyone? It's a shame for they're releasing films no-one else has yet.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard many things about VideoAsia on how some movies seemed to be a recorded TV broadcast and etc. HKFlix only sells VideoAsia titles on a closeout basis only due to their poor quality. For the example below, HKFlix cannot even do that as Tai Seng not VideoAsia has the legal rights to that film.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.538152/qx/details.htm

Morgoth Bauglir

I have a large # of Videoasia DVDs where I am happy with the quality, but I have just as many where i'm not happy with the quality. It's hit and miss. If you have questions abotu a certain DVD just ask. Most likely someone on the board can give you info on any Videoasia disc.

Video Asia is the DVD equivalent of sex with a cheap hooker. Be careful or your DVD player might get gonorrhea.

haha but honestly it's mostly just a few titles that you're 50/50 of em playing or not like the The One-Armed Swordsmen and Dance Of The Drunk Mantis which i had to exchange several times before i could get one that didn't do the same thing skippin through like you said

Morgoth Bauglir

You can get past the skipping thing, but it's a struggle. You have to keep the time display on screen and every time a chapter is abotu to end, you fast forward through it until the next chapter starts. And Videoasia gave my DVD player just regular diarhhea, not gonarhea, so I guess I got lucky there.

yea but you reach for a chip and it's all over with done missed 10 minutes and you're lost. it makes it more like a godfrey ho movie though i guess :) just sitting there like what the hell!

Morgoth Bauglir

It is very frustrating when you are really into the movie, and then you totally forget that you have to fastforward so it doesn't go into skip mode. Then it skips and you have to fastforward like 68 minutes into the movie and get yourself back into fastforwarding through the chapters. Man it's amazing what us kung fu fans will go through to watch a movie.

no doubt. i guess it might be good if we listed some of the better videoasia titles.. off da top of my head so i might name some wrong.. i'd get if you can

seven steps of kung fu

daggers 8

ninja in the dragon's den

duel of the 7 tigers

showdown at the cotton mill

my life's on the line

the rebelious reign

shaolin iron claws

horse boxing killer

snake in the monkey's shadow

dance of the drunk mantis

crane fighter

shaolin ex monk

south shaolin and north shaolin

Morgoth Bauglir

Well, that just goes to show how likely you are to get a good Videoasia DVD. a lot of those DVDs are actually really bad. I don't know where to start. I will try to get to them all but I don't know if I can.

7 Steps- bad pic quality, but definitley watchable. Widescreen which is nice. There is some unnatural undercranking during the final fight caused by VHS.

Daggers 8- doesn't work on some DVD players, but if you get the version that's in one of their recent multipacks it plays just fine, because it's a different disc. And that brings me to another point. Because there is 4 movies on one doublesided disc, the picture quality isn't as good. Not too distracting for me, but for a lot of people it would be. I may as well stop here. This would become an eeexxtremely long post, because there are big big problems with all but 2 of those DVDs you listed. I'll explain if you need me to, but I need sleep first. I don't have the hours right now that it would take to make that post :P

Killer Meteor
no doubt. i guess it might be good if we listed some of the better videoasia titles.. off da top of my head so i might name some wrong.. i'd get if you can

seven steps of kung fu

daggers 8

ninja in the dragon's den

duel of the 7 tigers

showdown at the cotton mill

my life's on the line

the rebelious reign

shaolin iron claws

horse boxing killer

snake in the monkey's shadow

dance of the drunk mantis

crane fighter

shaolin ex monk

south shaolin and north shaolin

Most if not all of those films can be bought on far superior DVDs from other companies

haha but honestly it's mostly just a few titles that you're 50/50 of em playing or not like the The One-Armed Swordsmen and Dance Of The Drunk Mantis which i had to exchange several times before i could get one that didn't do the same thing skippin through like you said

Same exact thing happened to my 'Dance of the Drunken Mantis'....glad i got rid of that one

Showdown at the Cotton Mill is a Rarescope release (Legit and still dirt cheap. Quality may be a little iffy, but still better than the VA disc probably).

Dance of the Drunk Mantis - there's an anamorphic release from Mei Ah. Good news is that it's anamorphic, bad news is that it's Mei Ah (and a little pricier).

I have one VA title that I picked up by mistake but haven't gotten around to watching yet (English dub only so it's at the bottom of my queue). It's Invincible Armor, I think. Worth holding on to?

gravedigger666
Showdown at the Cotton Mill is a Rarescope release (Legit and still dirt cheap. Quality may be a little iffy, but still better than the VA disc probably).

I tried to watch it but for me subtitles appeared unreadable or I should have been 2 meters distance from tv.In early of movie chi kuan chun fights someone on street and that looks bad ass brawl,if rest of movie features equal stuff it`s almost classic maybe

Killer Meteor
I tried to watch it but for me subtitles appeared unreadable or I should have been 2 meters distance from tv.In early of movie chi kuan chun fights someone on street and that looks bad ass brawl,if rest of movie features equal stuff it`s almost classic maybe

Its highly regarded, but I think its standard mediocre fare

Morgoth Bauglir

Gravedigger the other fights in the movie are just as good. You have to at least watch Chi Kuan Chun's fight with Chang Chi Ping. Fastforward to the 2:24 mark, or just watch the whole clip because it's a great scene-

v0cX0-hFvWg

And the subtitles are hard to read, but I guess you have to really want to read them (or maybe I just have really good eyes. I don't know). Some are completely unreadable, but I was still able to understand the story pretty easily.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah not much color, but the key is that it is widescreen. Anyone who has seen the Videoasia version knows how nice the Rarescope version is.

Why doesn't rarescope at least give us somewhat readable subs.? I mean it's frustrating when you haven't seen a film before. (That was the case with my initial viewing of SDATCM.) :(

Morgoth Bauglir

You guys are making me feel like I have the best eyesight in the world. I should probably look into being a superhero.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey guys, when I watch old nasty-print versions of movies I do a couple of things to fix them. As an artist/ painter I'm very sensitive to colors and such, so I always try to make a film look it's best before watching it. To some people these suggestions will be so obvious. But maybe this will enchance the viewing pleasure for a few of you that hadn't tried this stuff.

1. Put your disc in and skip to a random chapter, any showing a bright scene will do, and pause the DVD. I know, you don't want to spoil anything, but we're talking kung fu here, not suspense or mystery.

2. Now using the TV remote adjust the "picture" . Adjust the color until it starts to look like people have real flesh tones. Use brightness to make sure blacks appear to be a very dark grey. If the picture looks greenish, which is often the case with poorly preserved, deteriorating films (I think it's from oxidation?) then you want to use the hue control, and make it more red (or, if it's too red, go into the green my friends). Changing the contrast can make those pesky white subs on a light background become easier to read. When dealing with the sharpness, it would seem that you'd want very high sharpness right? We usually associate sharpness with positive results (good thing I had a sharp sword to kill my enemy and cut this steak :cool:), but in this case, not so much. A high degree of sharpness results in poor prints looking worse! It can actually enhance the graininess of an image. Lowering the sharpness can result in a clearer, softer looking image, and again, often helps with the legibility of the subtitles.

3. Many DVD players also have picture adjust capabilities. Jump into this menu and do the same as above. Between the two sets of adjustments you can really make a huge difference in the image. You will be shocked at the difference this can make.

I know all this sounds like a lot to go through, but it really isn't. After you do it two or three times it'll be old hat and will only take you two minutes tops. Not bad to enhance your enjoyment of something for one and a half to two hours huh?

My wife used to think I was really silly for doing this, but now if I don't she complains!

I figure, if you have a piece of art that you love, you wouldn't put it in a closet. You'd hang it where you could see it with the proper lighting right? If you wear glasses, you wouldn't read a best selling book without them, right? So why not make your movie watching experience the best it can be? :D

Yeah, I know... I'm a geek.

gravedigger666

Ok,I managed to watch Showdown at last...In 1st hour there is fighting a lot but bouts are very short.Chi Kuan Chun finished opponents in minute or so.But they are well-made though,CKC is top kung-fu man,his handwork is enjoyable to watch.

However in about middle of movie I started to feel bit bored ckc killing wu tang men and waited when Tan Tao Liang takes action.Then movie improves,he is really cool in Showdown.

Not excellent movie but above average certainly,will rate it 4/5.

Archived