Dark Knight breaks BO record!

teako170

Morgoth Bauglir

Unfortunately there is darkness that comes into play, but IMO you do get a better view of the fights in Dark Knight. But yeah, it is unimaginative, though not totally boring. I don't think I even saw a single kick. It doesn't have to be some cool spinning kick, just a straight kick with some contact would do.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chinatown Kid

Man I hate to hear that being a big fan of kicking. Guess the fights are basically punching/boxing? I did see a pic on youtube of The Joker and it looked like he was front kicking Batman while someone held him, maybe that got cut out?

Morgoth Bauglir

Sorry I meant to point out that I didn't see a single kick from Batman. Like I said I found his movements robotic. The fights aren't bad, but I was just expecting something exciting, maybe something like the main fight in Bourne Ultimatum.

Chinatown Kid

Oh I see, well you still want to see the hero throw some badass kicks though, that is a shame he doesn't. Thanks for the info on the film, much appreciated.

kungfusamurai

When I saw the subject header, for a second there I was going to suggest a better deodorant for the caped crusader! :)

I haven't seen the movie yet, and I'm not buying into the hype. I'll check it out in a few weeks. Everyone I know who's seen it said they liked it. But then again, a lot of people said the same thing about Iron Man, but I thought it was okay.

KFS

Chinatown Kid

I saw on one of those entertaiment shows last week where they were trying to say there was some kind of curse for the people involved with The Dark Knight because of Ledger's death, Bale's recent trouble with the law and Morgan flipping his car. The media sure loves to hype stuff up, they did the same thing when Brandon Lee died young like his father.

kungfusamurai
I saw on one of those entertaiment shows last week where they were trying to say there was some kind of curse for the people involved with The Dark Knight because of Ledger's death, Bale's recent trouble with the law and Morgan flipping his car. The media sure loves to hype stuff up, they did the same thing when Brandon Lee died young like his father.

Some movies that deal with dark topics have had unusual deaths occur around them. Brandon Lee was the most recent. Then there are the people who died who were in the Poltergeist movies (one was the sister in the first film, the second was the preacher in the second film, and lastly was Heather O'Roarke, the girl who starred in all three). And I think people connected to the original Omen film and The Exorcist died or strange things happened during the making. I know at least one of the screen actors in The Exorcist died (the man who plays Ellen Burstyn's director).

KFS

Guest Markgway

Accidents happen, people die.

It's sad, but there's no curse or any nonsense like that.

See my earlier post for my comments on the action and overpraise.

The more i watch this, Im convinced it should ve been cut into two parts[like Kill Bill]. Just a little more Two face footage needed to be shot.

daTOAD: I agree it should've stuck with the Joker as the Main Villain and worked its way into a 3rd. movie with 2Face.

I thought it delivered very well for a sequel. The fights were certainly better filmed than Batman Begins but I was so into the movie it didn't really bother me how the fights were. Maybe the movie was alittle too long but it was never boring.

kungfusamurai

I didn't watch Batman Begins in the theatre, and I only saw pieces of it when it was on TV. So I didn't go into Dark Knight with the desire to see another movie like the first.

I have to say that in spite of all the hype, which for me usually means a movie might not be as enjoyable, I really really enjoyed this film! I decided to watch it in IMAX because I figured since certain scenes were filmed in that format, it was the way to watch the flick. Unfortunately, the IMAX moments are few and far between. Chris Nolan wished he could have filmed the whole thing in IMAX, but I think that would have been a waste on scenes like people sitting around talking. It would have been better if all the action scenes were IMAX, though.

My overall sense of this film is that while the title is about Batman, the main character in the film, I found his presence in the film almost nill. I know he was in most of the main scenes, but it was his Bruce Wayne persona that seemed to be the focus of this film. Even so, I don't feel like that was a bad thing.

I feel the three characters of Batman, Harvey Dent and The Joker, were like an Unholy Trinity. Perhaps even Freudian psychology, where the The Joker represented the Id, Harvey Dent was the Ego, and Bruce Wayne/Batman, the Super Ego. I might be reading that wrong, or reading too much into it.

I didn't find the film overly long, or that Harvey Dent's two face should have been left for a sequel. All of the three main characters played important parts of the film. Even though we expect a sequel, I think Nolan was trying to make this a 'complete film', which I think was a better approach. Cliffhangers, where a new bad guy is left for another film, are just too cliche, and I think Nolan is a smarter director than that.

Heath Ledger's performance was awesome. I don't think he should receive an Oscar nod for it. Perhaps he should win something like a Golden Globe, though. It was really well done. While The Joker was an all-round Evil guy, he did invoke some kind of sympathy at certain moments, which Ledger carried of brilliantly. I found Aaron Eckhart's Two Faced characterization a bit too over the top, though. He did a great job as the idealist Harvey Dent, but his transition into insanity just didn't feel right. That's probably the only character mis-step I can think of. I also didn't care for the Rachel character. I don't know if Katie Holmes did a spectacular job in the first one. I didn't sense any chemistry between Bale and Maggie G. If they were former lovers, it didn't feel like it.

Only one annoying thing: How come the Mayor of Gotham had so much eye-liner?!! I just found it a little distracting that he had more eye-liner than women in the film.

Overall, this film is a 9/10 for me. One point deducted for the transition of the Harvey Dent character, and the annoying SWAT guy riding shotgun, played by Nicky Katt. What was up with that? Strangely, with all the yapping he did, he didn't receive any acting credit (according to IMDB).

KFS

Archived