I've finally broken down...

The Dragon

... and ordered The One Armed Boxer SE Remastered. The Japanese produced disc, and it's $50!!!:eek::mad:!!

I only hope it's worth it, and wll report here when I receive it.

I waited so long thinking Joy Sales or Celestial would do something but to no avail....

Dragon Dynasty gave a snippet of a clip on The One Armed Swordsman disc, and it looked great.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

Japanese disc is not a good idea

The German DVD has original Mandarin mono and mostly original English mono - new sound effects added when folks get tossed into the hot vats on the English track

Japanese DVD has no original mono, and poor English audio. Being a fortune star, the 5.1 is probably hideous.

That said, there is some bad visual noice reducation on the master the German DVD uses, most obviously in the smokey pits at the end, which looks like someone's smeared vasoline over the camera.

As for cuts, no version shown in cinemas was ever uncut, to the best of my knowledge. But there be something in the vaults

Chinatown Kid

Now DD will probably come out with an uncut, perfect version in a few months since you finally bought the Japanese disc Dragon. ;)

One Armed Boxer is a bit like Big Boss, it was originally shown in Cinemas uncut on initial release but because of censorship becoming more strict cuts were imposed on subsequent re-releases.

The cuts are obvious when i last watched the film.

Killer Meteor
One Armed Boxer is a bit like Big Boss, it was originally shown in Cinemas uncut on initial release but because of censorship becoming more strict cuts were imposed on subsequent re-releases.

The cuts are obvious when i last watched the film.

I thought the cuts were made before release. The English release was cut the same but re-scored to smooth over the edits - and remove the, cough, borrowed Shaft music!

Now DD will probably come out with an uncut, perfect version in a few months since you finally bought the Japanese disc Dragon. ;)

The story of my wallet.

:o

Well, well, well, I finally got my movies today! I must say I took quick peaks and comparisons as I've had the boots of these and I'm very pleased with the new versions. I found myself viewing OAB all the way through, and according to the comments earlier by Killer Meteor, there is a slight blur at the end of the film, not enough to ruin the disc, and the only letdown is there are no English subs. I have that German DVD, and I like this new one better. The remastering is very good, looks like what I saw in the little clip on DD's OAS.

Lady Whirlwind is very good looking as some may have seen on those screen caps posted somewhere on this site. This is a film I've always wanted in widescreen and I will enjoy over and again. Beach of War Gods is the same. I really enjoy the fact that the original trailers are included with lobby card photos. All in all, I got my movies, but OAB was still too much.:o

I will get more, I hear The Tattoed Dragon is the same price and The Tournament is VCD only, but I now want The Chase as well.:)

Archived