Stunt doubles for stars in movies

Guest ekisha

Guest ekisha

Cynthia Rothrock

I knew Yuen Biao doubled for C.Rothrock in Righting Wrongs,but i didn't know Chin Yuet Sang,and others doubled for her.Anyways,i want to make it clear with this actors who doubled for Cynthia.Correct me if i am wrong.

1.Chin Yuet Sang(it could be no one else,i am 100% sure)

chinyuetsang02.jpg

2.I have two stuntmasters in my mind:Chou Kam Kong or Hsiao Ho,what do you think????

hsiaoho.jpg

3.I'm not sure,could it be Yuen Wah or someone else??

yuenwahor.jpg

4.You know this guy,so we won't discuss about him.

yuenbiao05.jpg

5.I couldn't catch this better,so i don't know who is this(probably Hsiao Ho)

podvoprosomnotochnodubler02.jpg

I'm interested in stunt doubles,so please help me to make it clear.If you noticed other stuntmen post them here.I hope this topic won't die soon.I saw more than these,but i couldn't print screen them well.Anyone knows good software to make screenshots like film for making stuntmen clear??

________

Colorado Medical Marijuana

I'll have to get the screenshot again, but I did have a picture perfect shot of Chin Kar-Lok doubling for Jackie Chan in Dragons Forever when he did the tornado kick to Benny Urquidez's chest.

I also took four screenshots of Tony Jaa doubling Robin Shou in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation when he did a jumping spin kick to Baraka (These came from TonyJaa.org, where I submitted them to the gallery)

tonyjaa-mk2a.jpg

tonyjaa-mk2b.jpg

tonyjaa-mk2c.jpg

tonyjaa-mk2d.jpg

I used CyberLink PowerDVD to take these screengrabs.

Guest Markgway

I'd agree it's Hsiao Ho. He worked for Sammo around this time and doubled on many Bo Ho productions. As did Chin Yuet-Sang. Unfortunately Rothrock's appearence is so distinctive that the doubles stand out even more than usual.

Chin Kar-Lok has doubled for Jackie not only in Dragons Forever, but also in the Pachinko fight scene in Thunderbolt due to Jackie's ankle injury on the set of Rumble in the Bronx.

If I remember right, wasn't it Yuen Wah who did the acrobatic flips for Bruce Lee over the monks in Enter the Dragon after Lee's spar with Sammo Hung?

Chin Kar-Lok has doubled for Jackie not only in Dragons Forever, but also in the Pachinko fight scene in Thunderbolt due to Jackie's ankle injury on the set of Rumble in the Bronx.

If I remember right, wasn't it Yuen Wah who did the acrobatic flips for Bruce Lee over the monks in Enter the Dragon after Lee's spar with Sammo Hung?

Yeah I think that was Yuen Wah.

If I'm not mistaken, Chin Kar Lok also doubled for Yuen Biao in the final fight of Dragons Forever.

As for Yuen Biao, he has also doubled Jackie Chan in the training sequence of Drunken Master. It's quite obvious when the camera zooms way out and "Jackie" does a back breaking arching roll similar to what Yuen Biao did at the end of Knockabout before finishing Lau Kar Wing. Nothing against Jackie though. Doubling doesn't really say that much on the actor.. some people just can't perform certain moves, regardless of how skilled they are. Everyone have their areas of expertise.

Guest ekisha

Yuen Biao doubled for these guys:Sammo Hung,Lau Kar Wing,Hwang Jiang Lee,Leung Kar Yan,Chung Fat,Dick Wei,Frankie Chan,Jackie Chan,Wilson Tong,Xander Berkley,and etc.But mostly he doubled for Jackie and Sammo.

Though he was doubled by Chin Ka Lok(Wheels On Meals,Dragons Forever) and Hsiao Ho(Shanghai Express).This is not a secret,everyone has to be doubled because every master is well of their own skill.

________

Wendie 99

and Hsiao Ho(Shanghai Express).

Was that when he scissor kicks Sammo at the train station? I rewinded that a couple of times as I thought he was doubled.

Guest Markgway

Dragons Forever was filmed in a rush with three directors working simultaneously on the action sequences. It's no surprise there was more doubling than perhaps usual for Jackie as Jackie was actually directing one unit himself. Chin Ka Lok is an unsung hero of these movies and has doubled Jackie many times. In some cases for time, others because Jackie was injured, and occasionally because he could do something better than the man himself. In Biao's case he could do pretty much anything and it's unlikely he was ever doubled for a physical move because he wasn't good enough to perform it.

Park Hyun-Jin, a member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team and a phenomenal kicker, has doubled for Andy On (New Police Story) and Ritchie Coster (The Tuxedo).

Brad Allan has doubled for Ron Smoorenburg (Who Am I?) and Stephen Tobolowsky (Garfield...for a backflip at the very end of the movie)

Guest ekisha
Was that when he scissor kicks Sammo at the train station? I rewinded that a couple of times as I thought he was doubled.

That's right!!!

Chin Ka Lok doubled for Melvin Wong in the final fight between Yuen Biao vs Melvin Wong.

________

Amber

Lau Kar Wing doubled for Gordon in Heroes of the East.

You sure that wasn't Lau Kar Leung? I assume you're talking about the three-sectional staff back spin.

Mark Hicks, who appeared in Gen-Y Cops and Ninja Turf, has doubled for Chris Tucker in the first two Rush Hour films.

Headshot-Mark-Hicks-SFW.jpg

He had a nice fight scene in Gen-Y Cops against Paul Rudd and Stephen Fung. Rudd was doubled in the film by Ron Smoorenburg.

Paul Rudd and the second pic is Ron Smoorenburg doubling for Paul Rudd after Mark Hicks knocks him down with a kick.

http://asianimpact.ulmb.com/stuntdoubles/prgenycops.jpg

http://asianimpact.ulmb.com/stuntdoubles/rsgenycops.jpg

And if I remember somewhere, I heard that Simon Yuen was doubled for the acrobatic scenes by his son, Brandy Yuen in Drunken Master, Dance of the Drunk Mantis, and Crystal Fist.

Here are two shots I just took of Chin Kar-Lok's doubling of Jackie Chan in Dragons Forever

http://asianimpact.ulmb.com/stuntdoubles/ckldragonsforever1.jpg

http://asianimpact.ulmb.com/stuntdoubles/ckldragonsforever2.jpg

Yuen biao was doubled aswell i think in Dragons forever when he gets hit withe jumping kick from Benny the jet,but i dont know who doubled either of them,maybe chin kar lok was one of them?

TibetanWhiteCrane

I think Brandy and Shun Yee pretty much doubled old dad for more or less everything but close up's!

Bey Logan says on his commentary for wheels on meals that Yuen Biao was doubled for the jump from the apartment where the shop canopy below is raised & he lands on his backside on the concrete. He explains that whenever an actor is required to take a fall on concrete they will be doubled simply because the recovery time from such an impact could slow down filming & its no reflection at all on a persons ability, common sense really. Anyway they did a great job with the editing because I must admit until it was pointed out i'd always thought it was Yuen Biao!

Did I get that name right? I remember him doing some doubling for Jackie in Who Am I , Shanghai Noon, & Rush Hour 2 (I know he worked on the first Rush Hour as well, but I'm not sure if he personally doubled for Jackie in that one). Andy won a Taurus Stunt award for a fall he took for Jackie in Shanghai Noon, it was Andy taking the last, most painful part of the fall (or rather the landing) from the bell tower in the finale.

Also, don't forget the amazing Stanley Tong who did some doubling for Jackie in Police Story 3: Supercop, & Rumble In the Bronx, including that insane jump from rooftop to balcony, incredibly dangerous. I'd also bet that Stanley was the person who really did the jump off the roof to grab the ropeladder hanging from the helicopter in Supercop, as well as the snowboarding leap off the cliff to grab onto the helicopter in First Strike. If you think Jackie did these stunts himself just look at the way those shots were shot & edited... hmm.

Another stuntman who deserves credit for having helped Jackie look unbelieveable here & there is Mars (Jackie's costar in Dragon Lord, & a member of the JC Stunt Team in many of Jackie's movies from the eighties & nineties). To me, it's amazing how long a guy like Mars was able to make a living as a stuntman; he was part of Bruce Lee's stunt team in Enter the Dragon (he gets smacked around then thrown over a little stone wall by Bruce himself, then killed by Bolo as punishment for having allowed himself to be beaten by Bruce! Talk about out of the frying pan & into the fire!) way back in '73 & he's probably still working as a stuntcoordinator in Hong Kong television! It's not like these guys were sitting behind desks from 9 to 5, we're talking about years & years of incredibly punishing physical abuse, basically... amazingly tough guys.

I don't mind guys like Jackie Chan using stunt doubles, it comes with the territory, & it only makes sense (if the star gets injured or worse, at the very least filming has to be delayed, the film might get shut down, the risks aren't only physical but moreso financial), but I do think they should give more credit to the stunt people who are such a big help to the "stars". I was a little disappointed with Jackie when he recieved a special Taurus Award (stunt awards) & didn't mention any of the guys who have doubled him through the years in addition to all the other ways his stuntmen have helped him.

Yeah, that was Andy Cheng all right. He went on to become a stunt coordinator and director as well. He choreographed a pretty wicked fight in the horror film Santa's Slay, in which Bill Goldberg's evil Santa took on some guys at a strip bar and killing them.

JC's Stunt Team has had an amazing amount of guys throughout the years, mostly Asians, but there have been awesome non-Asians on the team as well, like Brad Allan, Paul Andreovski, Jon Foo (okay he's half-Asian), Jake Strickland, and recently, Andrew Owen joined the team and did stunts for Rush Hour 3 last year as he was listed under JC's Stunt Team.

Maybe I should start up a new website dedicated to the history of the JC Stunt Team.

Guest Markgway

That's part of Jackie's problem is that he has insisted he does all his own stunts which we all know simply isn't true. He does brilliant stunts, and may well have been capable of doing most stunts that he didn't do, but that's not quite the same. I agree that throwing some kudos to the behind the scenes teams (people like Chin Ka Lok, Mars) would show him in a more flattering light.

You sure that wasn't Lau Kar Leung? I assume you're talking about the three-sectional staff back spin.

I posted this cap back in March '06. The group consensus was LKW.

I will let you all come to your own conclusion - but it looks like LKW to me.

heroeast1.jpg