Shaolin Hand Lock / 十字鎖喉手 (1978)

Chinatown Kid

Chinatown Kid

I thought this was a nice little Kung fu film and David Chiang looked suprisingly good, better than his usual Shaw fighting. Chan Wei Man looked good as well and their showdown with Lo Leih was a nice battle. also scored extra points for having cutie Shih Szu too. For a gimmick the shaolin handlock technique wasn't too bad, I've seen alot worse. I think this movie is an under-appreciated Shaw gem.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chinatown Kid

• Wheat Thin Man

• Winfred

• Shaolin Patriot

Chinatown Kid

Yes it was Chen Ping, thanks for the correction Shaolin Patriot, glad to know you enjoyed it. And those Thai locations and scenery were nice Winfred, I liked the chase scene with the boats on the river as well.

david chiang is one of those dudes that his movies were cool, but his fighting was sub par at best. i heard this one was quite good however, and "the loot" was pretty damn good

One Armed Boxer

Don't forget Dick Wei is in this as well...along with Chan Wei Man this movie has two of the toughest guys in Hong Kong cinema!

Killer Meteor
Don't forget Dick Wei is in this as well...along with Chan Wei Man this movie has two of the toughest guys in Hong Kong cinema!

And both are awfully wasted in this fun but weak film. Five mins in and David Chiang is kitted out to be invincible with a metal breastplate. At least Jimmy Wang Yu and Clint Eastwood would wait until the end of the film!

I don't think Shaws ever did anything for Dick Wei. Good thing he teamed up with Sammo

Chinatown Kid

I liked the way the finale 2 on 1 battle was filmed in the old warehouse/barn. It was pretty gritty and fast paced and Lo lieh's sneaky knives worn under the shirt sleeves weapon made him formindable. Those guys were taking some major punishment and injury in the battle. Overall it was a slick, nicely made little kung fu film.

ironfistedmonk
David isn't a fantastic on-screen fighter, but he does do an OK job here

David Chiang can fight pretty well on screen IMO, I just think he needed a little nudge from the choreographers lol If you check out some of his TV work you will see him at his best, plus there is always The Loot, Shaolin Mantis and The Challenger where he pulls shapes like no ones business

I have owned this for a couple of years and its one of my favorite shaw brothers films that I always find myself watching every 3 months or so. I love Lo Lieh and David Chiang together they make a good pair and a good movie.

The warehouse fight scene at the end is really cool. I always loved that set. So low budget but so good. haha

As a kid this film plagued me: I saw chunks of it on TV all throughout my childhood, but never in one sitting and I never knew the title. Finally I bought a bootleg copy in the early 90's and much to my shock, the "films" that featured David Chaing on the motorcycle, the Thai boatchase and Lo Lieh with the hidden knives were all the same movie!

I liked the way the finale 2 on 1 battle was filmed in the old warehouse/barn. It was pretty gritty and fast paced and Lo lieh's sneaky knives worn under the shirt sleeves weapon made him formindable. Those guys were taking some major punishment and injury in the battle. Overall it was a slick, nicely made little kung fu film.

Watched this last night. Agree that it was a nice little flick. My only complaint (other than the absurd undercranking of the boat sequences) was the final battle.

Here they had gone to all the trouble of location shooting in Thailand, setting the story against some exquisite back drops, but yet they chose to stage the pivotal end fight.... on a Shaw set? Just seemed like such a waste of possibilities there.

Wheat Thin Man

I watched this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. It doesn't have the best choreography by any means, but what's there is really entertaining. And to add to that, the story is actually rather engaging, so I'm happy I picked this up (for $10 too!).

OpiumKungFuCracker

Damn this movie is insane and I freaking love the Bangkok set location... Is there any other Shaw or non Shaw kung fu flicks that was shot in Bangkok??

Damn this movie is insane and I freaking love the Bangkok set location... Is there any other Shaw or non Shaw kung fu flicks that was shot in Bangkok??

I'm sure others can come up with more, but as I recall,

Shaws: Duel of Fists

Golden Harvest: The Skyhawk, The Tournament

Script was likely written in 5 minutes or after filming one scene they decided then which way story goes.There is quite many choises done which deny logic:nerd:

If this filmed in indoor sets at shaw studios movie would have sinked but nice locations and cool end fight left good impression.