Did Jimmy start working in Taiwan because of HK ban?

Guest W Hong

Guest W Hong

If it's true that Jimmy Wang Yu started to work on movies in Taiwan back then, then was it because of being banned in HK? When I say "back then" of course, I mean sometime between "The Chinese Boxer" and "Master ofTFG"(1974?).

If you're wondering why there's a "?" next to that release year of "MOTFG", then there's a reason. I remember a website which said something interesting. That website might have been called the "HKEntertainment News in Review" or something else. It's hard to remember. anyway, the website said that people have given about three different release years(1974, 1975, 1976) for "MOTFG". The webpage went on to say that that particular Wang Yu movie was first shown in HK theatres back in 1974. So besides somehow directly asking Jimmy, Lau Kar Leung, First Films, or anybody similar, is there a way to get the facts about it? Maybe w/ an official JWY website?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chen lung

Was it not because Shaws threatened him and Raymond Chow bailed him out only on the condition (set by Shaws) that he couldn't work in HK?

Guest dager in the cotton

he was not banned from HK ,bt he did cut out on his contract with Shwas so he hid in Taiwan to avoid being served by Run Run.

Guest stormybman
bt he did cut out on his contract with Shaws so he hid in Taiwan to avoid being served by Run Run

:lol

Partially true. The deal was either that or the river with cement boots. Raymond Chow was really something rescuing certain actors careers, and then chaining them to his company.

The one thing that has never been revealed was which Triad group he's a part of. The man has serious clout if even Run Run couldn't get him out of town. Think about it.:rolleyes

Jimmy Wang Yu even made a couple of Japanese films, to circumvent his woes.

"Whenever you're ready, I'll take on any Japanese here."

Guest kungfuhustler

Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman was shot in Japan and released by Toho, but it was a HK/Japanese coproduction and was co-directed by Chui Chang Wang.

And generally speaking, "a couple" means "more than one".

Guest stormybman
And generally speaking, "a couple" means "more than one".

I do understand you, Hustler, however, Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman was Jimmy's return to Japan after a little number called Asia Pol (1966) co-produced by Shaws and Nikkatsu, and it was released on 10/12/1966 in Japan, co-starring, Wang Hsieh, Fang Ying, and Asoaka Ruriko. It's a drama. Wang Yu was popular with Japanese audiences and although his productions were few, (2), he did spend a great deal of time there. :D

"Whenever you're ready, I'll take on any Japanese here."

Archived