Favorite Hwang Jang Lee performance?

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

There's soooo many to choose from, but here's my favorites-

1- Buddha Assassinator

2- Tiger Over Wall

3- Shaolin: The Blood Mission

It's so hard for me to choose between these 3. Tiger Over Wall has my favorite kicking performance from Hwang, and Shaolin Blood Mission has his most badass performance. There's that scene where Hwang first shows up at the tmple and jumps up and kicks the monk in the neck because the monk is not cooperating, and about 15 monks charge at Hwang, and he doesn't even flinch. That still sends shivers through my body every time I see it. But to me his overall best acting and fighting performance is in Buddha Assassinator. I think that anybody else trying to do that kind of style would just look goofy, but Hwang pulls it off better than I could have ever imagined

It seems that the limit for a poll is a maximum of 10 choices. But Hwang has like 50 awesome performances, so that won't work. There's no way I could pick just 10. So put down your favorite and people can tally them up if they like to see if we get a clear cut winner. And even though this is in the classsic kung fu section, modern movies are also welcome as choices for favorites.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

roy horan's "art of high impact kicking" had hwang doin some GREAT stuff at the beginning before the instructional

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah it's pretty awesome, but out of all of his performances you list that as your fav?

I thought Hwang was excellent in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha as he showed more than just his trademark kicking and did some hellacious staff work and chopstick-fu. But once he unleashed his legs, that was it for me.

I also thought he pulled off quite a performance in No Retreat, No Surrender 2, where he was the Vietnamese henchman to Yuri, the Russian. His fight against Cynthia Rothrock was short but sweet and he actually spoke pretty good English.

"The third is Khmer Rouge, but what about Tai? He is a Chinese agent. They say he can fight."

He pulled a non-talking performance in Street Soldiers and let his TKD do all the talking and had a nice fight against Grandmaster Jun Chong in the finale.

Morgoth Bauglir

That is a great little fight in NRNS 2. And I agree he is excellent in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha. I love unique stuff like that chopsticks fight. Would you say Hitman is your favorite performance fom Hwang Albert?

Chinatown Kid

1. Kid from Kwangtung

2. Drunken Master

3. Game of Death II

4. Tiger Over Wall

5. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't like Kid From Kwangtung too much, but Hwang is really good in that. I wonder why he only did a couple of Shaws.

Yeah it's pretty awesome, but out of all of his performances you list that as your fav?

my favorite? well that would be the first time i was introduced to him when i was seven. that scene alone brings back alot of memories. i know it is just a showcase and it is almost nonsensical to include it, but for me it opened up a whole can o worms in regards to leg fighters,

and we wasnt so bad in no retreat no surrender 2

Morgoth Bauglir

Well then just list the movies you like Hwang in. It's not like the thread title is "what is your favorite Hwang performance?":p

And that Art of High Impact Kicking movie is quite good. I watched it on youtube a few days ago, and I've been doing a lot of kicking lately :D

You too Morgoth. I got a copy of AOHIK on VHS (a friend from California had copied it for me on VHS) and I watch it occasionally to practice kicks.

My favorite HJL Performances (in order):

1) Hitman in the Hand of Buddha

2) Street Soldiers (didn't speak a word in the movie, but wasn't necessary as he let his legs do the talking)

3) No Retreat, No Surrender 2

4) Hell's Wind Staff

5) Tiger Over Wall

TibetanWhiteCrane

Anyone seen INNOCENT INTERLOPERS?? Master Lee in cheesy 80's git up, but damn the fights are evil! Only available on VCD, sadly!

Kid from Kwangtung his kicking was awesome in the finale, Drunken Master and Snake in the eagles shadow of course.

I didnt really like innocent interloper to much.

Some good kicking combos in wheres officer Tuba? aswell.

ok ok ok i got one

eye of the dragon with bruce le and chick norris

he fights bruce in the colosseum in rome.

and since im a huge fan of tony wong's oriental heroes comics, i like hellz windstaff, however it didnt showcase his BEST kicking

Morgoth Bauglir

The colisuem fight is great. THat movie also has a sweet little fight between Hwang and Bolo. It's the only movie I've seen those 2 fight in.

Eye of the Dragon, or Ninja Strikes Back as I have the VHS copy, had its share of exploitative fare, but I loved the fight scenes. The Bruce Le-Hwang fight was great as was Casanova Wong and Bruce Le teaming up with Chiu Chi-Ling (the tailor from Kung Fu Hustle) against Bolo and his goons.

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh my bad. I figured he was talking abotu Challenge of the Tiger. So Bolo and Hwang fight in Ninja Strikes Back? I need to get that.

I gotta say, I would love to see HJL's son in a movie. I wonder if his father taught him TKD or what. HJL actually used his son's name as an English name when he was in Street Soldiers, so instead of Hwang Jang-Lee in the credits, he was credited as Jason Hwang.

Guest peter07

I've talked to someone who knows Lee. He is said to now live on Jeju Island and run a restaurant. He's also rejected every request for a media interview, Korean or foreign, and is quite reclusive.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
and ive never seen hitman in the hand of buddah. been trying forever

Dude- you must see it! I'll hook you up.

One Armed Boxer
I've talked to someone who knows Lee. He is said to now live on Jeju Island and run a restaurant. He's also rejected every request for a media interview, Korean or foreign, and is quite reclusive.

If this is true it makes it even more of a shame that the now infamous 'missing in the Contender archives' interviews, that Mike Leeder did with him back sometime in 2001-2002, are likely never to see the light of day.

I actually don't think I've seen as many of Hwang Jang Lee's performances as many people on this board, I'd say maybe I've seen 20 films with him in...of the one's I've seen though I've loved his modern day stuff in particular.

Albert is there a dvd release anywhere of Street Soldiers?

My top 5 would have to be...

1) Drunken Master (just for doing that kick completely unassisted by wires that Keanu Reeves replicated in the Matrix...where he runs up a guys body and kicks him in the head, its awesome)

2) Snake In The Eagles Shadow

3) Challenge of the Tiger

4) Hellz Windstaff

5) Ninja in the Dragon's Den

Ive heard his Son is very good,dont think he has been in any films tho.

Would love to see an interview with Hwang bet he has some great stories to tell.

I'd have to go with Invincible Armour. It might have been the first Hwang movie I ever saw (That or Hitman in the hand of buddha).

He doesn't really kick a lot in this movie, but he's a total pimp here and the opening training sequence is really cool.

Archived