The Big Boss and Fist of Fury HKL dvd questions

mark187

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That snippet was removed by Media Asia because of the excessive print damage.

Sure it wasn't because GH deleted it in 1983 for their Cantonese re-issue?

Guest Markgway

I thought it was Media Asia, but it's possible GH could've beaten them to it. The only way to know for sure is to find a Chinese video version dating before 1993.

well, if anyone's interested, he posted a new video, apprantly being a deleted scene:

can anyone confirm this?

Nothing that isn't already easily available.

It's not even from the same print as his supposedly uncut Greek print of The Big Boss..wonder why that could be eh!

I emailed steve kerridge but have had no reply to see if he has an uncut copy of the Big Boss.

I emailed steve kerridge but have had no reply to see if he has an uncut copy of the Big Boss.

Oh he has it alright, been confirmed by some very reliable people!

For a very short time there was a version of The Big Boss available for rental through netflix that looked like a George Tan project. I know it wasn't one of the Hong Kong Legends versions (I enjoyed the latest one, by the way, the commentary track was different enough from Bey Logan's to appreciate, & the rest of the special features were pretty good, too), the cover art was new, & an audio commentary track was listed as one of it's special features.

I tried to rent it but there was a very long wait for it & it is now listed as unavailable. Anyone out there familiar with this version? Is it readily available anywhere, & if so is it worth trying to get?

I havent heard about that version would be intresting tho,maybe its a fan edit or something?

I am completely in agreement with Markgway on this - if these people really do have uncut prints of these films - which I can't believe, but I hope to proved wrong some day - then hoarding them is selfish in the extreme.

What purpose does it serve, beyond serving their own snobbery by jealously holding these things to themselves?

I've heard for years of these so-called prints being in the hands of collectors and never seen a shred of proof, which makes me wonder; it's easy to say something - but to PROVE it? Another matter entirely.

These guys are full of s--t, one way or another.

For a very short time there was a version of The Big Boss available for rental through netflix that looked like a George Tan project

It got pulled due to copyright issues. The print of the movie is still cut but it contains the extremely rare original English dub of the movie.

I've heard for years of these so-called prints being in the hands of collectors and never seen a shred of proof, which makes me wonder; it's easy to say something - but to PROVE it? Another matter entirely.

These guys are full of s--t, one way or another.

According to very reliable sources Steve Kerridge does indeed have the original fully uncut mandarin print of The Big Boss on reels...they have nothing to gain by confirming he has it.

Surely the longer that its left on 35mm the more chance it has of just rotting away and being lost forever,that really sucks

OK, if he has it, that's cool.

If Mr Kerridge is away working with the Bruce Lee Foundation, does this mean he's given them his print, or is that just wishful thinking?

Surely the longer that its left on 35mm the more chance it has of just rotting away and being lost forever,that really sucks

I don't know how he is preserving the reels but I have heard he has had the reels trasnferred on to other formats.

If Mr Kerridge is away working with the Bruce Lee Foundation, does this mean he's given them his print, or is that just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking.... He is involved in several projects with the BLF but I very much doubt he is giving them his print of The Big Boss.

Guest Markgway

Pity someone like me didn't have the reels; I'd offer them to Dragon Dynasty rather than keep them in my attic for the bats to play with.

Pity someone like me didn't have the reels; I'd offer them to Dragon Dynasty rather than keep them in my attic for the bats to play with.

You and me both Mark me ol' chum! After I have ran a copy off for myself first of course! lol :D

...At least have it restored or digitally transferred so it would be preserved.

Maybe then it could look like this:

brucelee-6.jpg

The first HKL disc (not platinum if there's a difference) for Big Boss, has it got the original english dub and not some new crappy anime-dub?

The first HKL disc (not platinum if there's a difference) for Big Boss, has it got the original english dub and not some new crappy anime-dub?

All HKL (and probably any other DVDs that have been using STAR TV materials that include an English dub - including the recent Fox set) DVDs have the better-known National General Pictures dub (1973), but for the riverside mourning scene, it temporarily reverts to the rare 1971 Golden Harvest dub (not released and circulating within a few collectors).

Archived