The Ultimate Kick Master

Flashlegs Pete Jr

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gravedigger666

Hwang is my favourite too...not only his kicks are supreme quality,his screen energy cannot be matched.

Villain in operation scorpio has damn sick kicks also.

I think each kick master brings his own brand to the plate.

Hwang Jang-Lee - definitely the King. He uses his legs as if they are a boxer's arms. His triple kick is amazing to see as is his leg wrap-pop up kick combination.

Delon Tan Tao-Liang - definitely lives up to the nickname "Flash Legs". Love the way he bolts out his kicks like machine guns. Hop-kicking technique is his trademark.

John Liu Chung-Liang - definitely a worthy kick master, always love seeing his frenetic axe kicks, especially in Fighting Ace, when he kills an attacker from behind when he catches his foot to the thug's throat in axe kick form.

Casanova Wong - definitely the Human Tornado. Probably the best spin kicker I have seen so far in the old kung fu films. And his jumping triple kick is a delight to watch. Loved in his cameo appearance in Duel of the Seven Tigers how he did 15 spin kicks non-stop before going to the next move.

Kim Won-Jin - the villain from Operation Scorpio is a frenetic kicker as well. Love his scorpion style in the film and his spoofing it in No Problem 2, but combined with his amazing gymnastic skills, he is one of the tops.

Definitely other favorite kick masters IMO:

Yuen Biao (Knockabout, where he did an amazing Delon Tan-esque kickfest in one scene)

Ken Low Houi-Kang (Drunken Master II says it all)

Collin Chou (License to Steal and other films)

Ernie Reyes Jr. (Last Dragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Process)

Mike Lambert (Black Mask where he had a short and sweet fight against Jet Li)

Tsui Jing-Yat (He was Eagle Han's #1 man in Shaolin Drunken Monk and the superkicker garage fighter in License to Steal)

Scott Adkins (Special Forces and Undisputed 2)

Silvio Simac (Black Mask 2, D.O.A.: Dead or Alive, Undisputed II)

Sun Chien (The Scorpion Venom)

Kane Kosugi (Muscle Heat)

James and Simon Kim (The Tiger Twins)

Philip and Simon Rhee (Best of the Best - they had the best fight against each other)

Mike Chatarantabut (XMA founder, Wizard on WMAC Masters, Blue Ranger on Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rangers)

Matt Mullins (Bloodfist 2050, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight, Adventures of Johnny Tao)

Keith Cooke Hirabayashi (China O'Brien, King of the Kickboxers, Mortal Kombat)

Loren Avedon (No Retreat, No Surrender 2 & 3, King of the Kickboxers)

Jun Chong (Ninja Turf, Street Soldiers)

Hwang In-Shik (Young Master, Hap Ki Do, Dragon Lord)

Billy and Michael Blanks (King of the Kickboxers, Showdown, Dragon Fire)

gravedigger666

Not seen on-screen often but Robert Tai looks damn dangerous with legs@final of Incredible Kung-Fu Mission.

Jang-lee is the king. But others of note from are in no order;

1) Jang-lee's almost equal Leung Siu-lung.

2) Whang In-shik.

3) Keith Cooke.

4) Leung Siu-hung.

5) Kwan Young-moon.

6) Casanova Wong.

7) Brad Allan.

8) Ridley Tsui.

Actually there are too many to mention. Most of them with the exception of Casanova, Tao-liang, Jang-lee etc never really made their name with their kicking. The biggest difference between Hwang Jang-lee and the rest of them though is that he could make his kicks work for real, proven by killing two people, both with his kicks, and both times in high pressure situations. Once against a US MP, and the second against a VC in Vietnam. Both legally documented apparently.

Tell you what old Casanova's won me over since checking Shaolin Plot - jeebus, and with Kwan Yung Moon too as like some kind of Shaolin hit duo - youuuucchhh.

Anyhoo, Hwang - best handsman of the kickers? I reckon. One complete dude - could handle some eagle's claw.

Well my favourite has always been Casanova Wong but thinking about it...Jang-lee's had a lot more memorable performances throughout his movies. Casanova as we all know didn't really get used to his full potential with a lot of low budget movies he was in. Jang-lee just seemed to churn out quality performances by the shed load.

My favourite performnace by Jang-lee is Snuff Botle Connection, he's lethal in that movie.

Yuen Biao always deserves a mention especially the kick he did in Righting wrongs on melvin wong WOW!

and that fantastic combo he did to philip ko in twinkle twinkle lucky stars when he side flips off the crate, does a tornado kick and ends it with a perfect side kick.

Hey, who was the father in law to the woman teaching Leung Siu-Hung in 5 Superfighters? Don't remember him kicking that much, but he had some impressive flexibility.

Also, Mark Long had some pretty decent kicks.

Anyhoo, Hwang - best handsman of the kickers? I reckon. One complete dude - could handle some eagle's claw.

I'll have to disagree slightly. Hwang is not a bad hand fighter, but the eagle claw in Invincible Armour didn't quite convince me. Don't remember how it looked in SITES.

Peter Cunningham is a pretty flashy kicker as well. He is nicknamed "Sugarfoot" and was impressive against Kurt McKinney in No Retreat, No Surrender as well as that pretty wicked fight against Yuen Biao in Above the Law.

There was also an Irishman named Marc Redmond who had done Hong Kong films for a few years. He was Edison Chen's fight double in Gen-Y Cops and he showed off some impressive footwork against Collin Chou in No Problem 2 (he played the Dutch kickboxer who betrayed Chou). However, from what I heard, he had kind of a bad attitude so he no longer works in Hong Kong. I think he is trying to work in Thai films as he is friends with Ron Smoorenburg, who currently works in Thai films.

I'd like to see more action from Taylor Lautner. He is perhaps best known as Sharkboy in The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. He did some pretty flashy footwork in the film. He is a national martial arts champion. However, I think he did other roles so he wouldn't be typecast. He is appearing in the vampire movie Twilight and I don't know if he has any fight scenes in it. In the future, I think he could make a bankable lead for a martial arts film.

Drunken Monk
and that fantastic combo he did to philip ko in twinkle twinkle lucky stars when he side flips off the crate, does a tornado kick and ends it with a perfect side kick.

I agree. Some of Yuen Biao's kicks are out of this world. I'd overlooked him a lot until I began revisiting his movies earlier this year...

2zohhe0.gif

2pzgtpg.gif

Archived