Italy Armed To the Teeth: European Crime Cinema

venoms5

TibetanWhiteCrane

It was High Crime I was thinking about, not Heroin Busters, thanks for clearing that up Venoms!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone seen italian movies "contraband" and "cut&run" and japanese "double suicide"?Worth buying?

Contraband is Fulci's take on italian crime, it's slezy fun but far from the best in the genre. Fabio Testi gives a good performance and there's a few nice killings. Marcell Boufuzzi has a nice villain role which is almost identical to the role he played in the French Connection. I really like the final scene. Worth renting

Cut And Run is not really euro-crime, it's a very exploitative jungle/cannibal adventure by Cannibal Holocaust director Ruggero Deodado. The cast is really odd in this: Willie Ames from 8 is enough, 70s staple Karen Black, b-movie icons Michael Barryman and Richard Lynch as the main bad guys, underrated 70s character actor Richard Bright, ER's Eriq La Salle - WTF??? It's fast paced, bloody and trashy. The opening scene of amazon Indians raiding a cocaine processing/transporting camp is worth the price of the dvd by itself.

Double Suicide (if I'm thinking of the same thing you are) is a beautiful Japanese drama which is absolutely nothing like any of the films or genre variations mentioned in this thread, it's in a whole different category of cinematic achievement. I'm honestly not sure why you'd lump it with the other two

Hi, gang! Hey, I’m a big fan of the poliziotteschi (Eurocrime) movies, and I thought I’d spread the word about a print of FREE HAND FOR A TOUGH COP a.k.a. IL TRUCIDO E LO SBIRRO that I came across on DVD. It’s letterboxed (finally!) in 2.35:1 and looks great, with English audio! NTSC All Region, no less. A friend of mine found it first and I ordered one when I saw his. What a great movie! For years I was stuck with a lousy pan & scan bootleg with forced Dutch subtitles.

Anyway, this new print is hot, and apparently it’s pretty new, since the guy selling it appears to have just got started. His site has a bunch of really interesting coming soon titles, too, like FROM CORLEONE TO BROOKLYN and SWEET BODY OF DEBORAH (which I haven’t seen yet), both fully widescreen with English audio! FREE HAND is a bootleg, but it’s the best one I’ve ever come across, with a nice cover (yeah, a high quality DVD case, for what that’s worth). The print, however, is VERY NICE. It looks remastered. My friend said there’s an Italian language DVD out there, and he thinks this guy at Skowhee Entertainment (that’s the company name) did a fan dub. In any case, he did a great job, and if you’re a fan I say check it out! It’s twelve bucks, plus shipping. Not bad.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for No Shame or Alfa Digital to put this one out, since it looks like the Eurocrime run on DVD is pretty much over, at this point. Usually I don’t mess with bootleg DVDs, but hey, if it’s as nice as this one and you can’t get it anywhere else, why not?? Besides, Alfa Digital is a bootleg company, and their stuff is usually very good.

Here’s the link:

http://www.geocities.com/roegcamel/Skowhee_page.html

I’ll post back about this guy’s other titles as they come out. Oh yeah, and for the record, here’s my top 10 Eurocrime movies:

1. Almost Human

2. High Crime

3. The Boss

4. Free Hand for a Tough Cop

5. Tony Arzenta

6. Manhunt a.k.a. Hired to Kill

7. The Tough Ones a.k.a. Rome Armed to the Teeth

8. The Violent Professionals

9. Violent Naples

10. Violent City

Hi, roughrider. FREE HAND FOR A TOUGH COP was released in Germany recently on the EMS label and there's also a French dvd but neither have English options. I know the people that do the fan dubs so unless they've done their own, the movies were acquired thru one of the fan circles. FROM CORLEONE TO BROOKLYN is a fan dub taken from a recent Italian television showing in widescreen. There's fan dubs for a lot of these movies out there as sadly, and as you already mentioned, most of these DVD releases are not English friendly. This genre is probably the smallest of the niche markets for Italian made films.

Archived