Blaxploitation Cinema--Dig it!

venoms5

Was at Wal mart this evening and found SOUL VENGEANCE aka WELCOME HOME, BROTHER CHARLES (1975) for $6.50. Found it odd they would carry this, but this is the one with the main character and his monstrous member he uses to strangle people with. From the same guy who brought you the PENITENTIARY movies.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesse Smooth
i just wish there was a re-assurgence of black cinema, and not the direct to video camcorder crap (however at least they are out there doing it). those movies were like kung fu movies to me.

My friend, that is what I am working on. My production company is only in it's infancy. Only an idea. However, I am working on SEVERAL concepts that would be Blaxploitation/Kung-fu/80s Action hybrids. These will be B-movies with A-movie treatment as well as top notch action choreography. I'm also looking at the proper equipment (cameras, etc...) Music will also play a part in these films as well. :)

Here's the link to the myspace page. This is nothing yet, but it's still in works.

http://www.myspace.com/supmedia

Jesse Smooth

Oh man, Fred Williamson is my Favorite actor on all reasons stated above. In the '80s, there were no "Black Action Movies" due to the crap pulled by civil rights groups like the NAACP. Two films from the 80s that I like (although both are bad) are Foxtrap (the better movie) and The Messenger.

Steve James (RIP)was the man, but he was playing 2nd fiddle to less talented stars. Sadly he passed as he was improving as an actor and getting better roles. Check out Street Hunter and Riverbend.

Carl Weathers could have had a much better. They should have been making movies like Action Jackson all along in the 80s. Hurricane Smith was good as well. He also had a TV series in which would have gone on longer had he not had it canceled.

Jim Kelly made a few poor choices in his career. I would have also liked to see Ron VanClief in a few better films.

Also check out Force Four aka Black Force. A z-grade kung fu flick with some of the NY area's top Martial Artists of that time.

Chinatown Kid
Let me know if you were able to find it.

I didn't find it in the stores bravery but I did find it online, looking forward to watching it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again, I had totally forgot about this film.

Chinatown Kid
Oh man, Fred Williamson is my Favorite actor on all reasons stated above. In the '80s, there were no "Black Action Movies" due to the crap pulled by civil rights groups like the NAACP. Two films from the 80s that I like (although both are bad) are Foxtrap (the better movie) and The Messenger.

Steve James (RIP)was the man, but he was playing 2nd fiddle to less talented stars. Sadly he passed as he was improving as an actor and getting better roles. Check out Street Hunter and Riverbend.

Carl Weathers could have had a much better. They should have been making movies like Action Jackson all along in the 80s. Hurricane Smith was good as well. He also had a TV series in which would have gone on longer had he not had it canceled.

Jim Kelly made a few poor choices in his career. I would have also liked to see Ron VanClief in a few better films.

Also check out Force Four aka Black Force. A z-grade kung fu flick with some of the NY area's top Martial Artists of that time.

Yo Jesse I wonder whatever happened to the spring release of the second season of Carl Weather's Street Justice? They were gonna release it in the spring but here it is mid summer and still no release. I really would like to have it.:(

Jesse Smooth
Yo Jesse I wonder whatever happened to the spring release of the second season of Carl Weather's Street Justice? They were gonna release it in the spring but here it is mid summer and still no release. I really would like to have it.:(

I haven't heard anything about that lately. I know some of the other shows like Stingray(finally released) were to have been released sooner. It may take a bit longer. :confused:

Jesse Smooth

Another actor from that era was Thalmus Rasulala. He wasn't an ward winning actor or anything like that, but he always gave decent performances. One of those faces who were familliar, but never knew their names. Usually a supporting player, his only true starring role was Cool Breeze (1972), the third remake of The Asphalt Jungle (1950).

As for Tony King. For some odd, uncertain reason, I like to think of him as the James Tien of blaxploitation.

I know him from BLACULA and Sanford and Son and one or two other movies.

Tony King did some cool Italian exploitation movies, too like CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE with John Saxon and THE LAST HUNTER with David Warbeck.

Jesse Smooth

Tony King did a rare good guy role in Gordon's War, a rare Paul Winfield action flick.

Thalmus did a lot of TV work from the era and so forth. He even has a cameo as a D.A. (I think) in Sreven Seagal's Above the Law.

Tony King did a rare good guy role in Gordon's War, a rare Paul Winfield action flick.

Yeah, forgot about that one. Copied it off digital cable a couple months back. A good movie that should have but didn't do so well when it came out back in '73.

sweet!!! i can hear adolph caesar one more time in the promo. priceless. wish he was still with us

anyone see the tail-end-of-the-genre film called "the hitter" with him and ron o'neal?

gary marshall (blackula and king of cartoons) was a gary indiana native and sadly passed about 4 years ago. friend of mine was very lucky to have known him. heard he was a great dude

Copied the BONANZA episode with William Marshall off TV Land the other day. The man commands attention in everything I've seen him in. He was also good in that STAR TREK episode 'The Ultimate Computer'.

was boris karloff's understudy in a broadway rendition of peter pan

Wow. THAT would have been interesting to see!

Jesse Smooth

I saw the Black Dynamite trailer on youtube. One of the responses said that was what Grindhouse should have been as opposed to the CGI/old scratches.

Off topic, I know it won't happen but I would love to see Black Dynamite in a double feature with Machete (yeah, I know it's not gonna be made).

EMMA MAE and PENITENTIARY come on back to back on TCM Friday night/Saturday morning starting at 2 am.

For anyone interested, here's the unabridged blaxploitation article from page one of this thread only it's populated with a generous amount of pics. Part three is ready to go only I need to do pics for TICK...TICK...TICK (1970) and WHITE DOG (1982). The latter, previously shelved film is coming to DVD in December from Criterion. Never released in America theatrically or on video, it was released overseas. It was shown at a Sam Fuller retrospective some years back if I remember correctly. The quality of both films that I have isn't dvd quality, sadly...

http://www.coolasscinema.com/search/label/Blaxploitation%20Overview%20Part%201

http://www.coolasscinema.com/search/label/Blaxploitation%20Overview%20Part%202

how did you see this, do you have the Blax dvd? is the quality passable?

I believe it was a copy of the BLAX release, but can't say for sure. The quality is of a VHS rip and can be seen in the screen shots to the left of the review (Click the images to enlarge).

Archived