From The Highway - lesser known classic

falkor

I don't think many people realise just what a classic this film really is! It's the first Kung Fu movie ever shot in colour, and in my opinion, 10/10 for it's time! :cool:

FromThehighway.jpg

FromTheHighwayPressbook.jpg

It was completed in 1969.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to have another go at encoding and releasing a torrented AVI file for this movie because I really want you guys to see it. Last time I tried a couple of years back, the quality became downgraded too much, so I refused to release it. It's a camera job and already has some flickering, but the encoding made it flicker even more.

I've now got latest versions of software and codec (Xvid is said to produce the best results). I'm encoding the following AVI versions based on 2 DVDs I authored:

Normal: 640 width, 350Mb

Normal: 640 width, 700Mb

Deflickered: 320 width, 350Mb

Deflickered: 320 width, 700Mb

All 4 have been left to encode over night. The de-flickered version was created using a clever piece of script that chose the best field for each frame and discarded the other field. That way, the flickering was reduced, but so was the resolution. Major noise reduction was also applied. This version may have more desirable results with Xvid and the video compression.

Tomorrow, If I am happy with any of those 4 encodings then I will release a torrent the same day.

The Dragon

Hey falkor, I've never heard of this old classic. Any info on whether it's available on DVD? Looks like it was once on VHS by the photos from rarekung fu movies.com. More deatails please.

:)

More information about the film can be found on an old news page at rarekfm website. It's never been released officially on VHS/DVD in over 35 years! However, the camera job was available from RareKFM.

Results of the test:

The original raw recording comes out extremely poor when compressed with DivX and now Xvid. The flickering just looks 10 times worse! However, the de-flickered version seemed to work well with the codec, so this is the version I'll be putting out via Torrent. Unfortunately, the quality has had to be sacrificed in other ways, namely resolution and some ghosting caused by the extreme noise reduction that was needed to fix the flickering.

350Mb is too pixelated, so it will have to be released as 700Mb. I'm now doing the final encoding in 640 width, so that the subs can be read without strain.

Archived