Only the Strong (1993) - Abridged?

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

According to DVD Compare: Fox's R1/US DVD runs 95:54 (NTSC) and Metropolitan's R2/FR DVD runs 94:33 (PAL). That would mean an NTSC version of the French DVD should run 98:35 - 2 mins and 41 secs longer than the American. Was this cut for a PG-13? Anyone know what's missing? The UK tape was cut to **** by the BBFC.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

IMDb states it runs 99 mins. I'll check my copy. If your info is correct for the US dvd, I'm probably missing 3:06 of footage. (I hate that.)

ShaOW!linDude

You're spot on, Markgway. My version runs 1:35:54. It has full screen on 1 side and widescreen on the other but both run the same time. I'm hoping that if you come across the full length version, the missing 3 mins will be some boring dialogue.

Guest Markgway

OK, I managed to compare Fox's PG-13 version with the uncut international version and can confirm that the former is heavily cut for martial arts violence. If you want the uncut version you'll have to track down the French DVD.

OK, I managed to compare Fox's PG-13 version with the uncut international version and can confirm that the former is heavily cut for martial arts violence. If you want the uncut version you'll have to track down the French DVD.

So I've been watching a cut version for almost 20 years? :neutral:

ShaOW!linDude

Mark, out of curiosity, can you please specify what got cut or what action sequences got cut?

Guest Markgway
So I've been watching a cut version for almost 20 years? :neutral:

Yes.

Mark, out of curiosity, can you please specify what got cut or what action sequences got cut?

From memory... because I didn't take notes.

The assaults on the teachers by the Hispanic gang are cut down.

The chop shop scene is missing plenty of kicks and heavy blows (probably the most edited single scene overall).

The pursuit of Dacascos though the neighbourhood is missing many chunks of fighting and random heavy blows.

The final fight is mostly intact apart from (at least that I noticed) one repeated kick to the head.

If you're a fan you'll NEED the original cut, which can be identified by an August Company logo and presentation card (Fox only handled the cut US release).

Avoid the old UK tape - it's similarly cut to shit (by the BBFC, different cuts).

Wow... I always wondered if this was meant to be more R-rated, but then they tried (as many film companies have done over the years) to make it more "mainstream" with a PG-13. Huh, guess Fox never bothered with a later "unrated" version as opposed to just re-releasing the US theatrical cut.

All righty, so, French DVD you say?

ShaOW!linDude

Awwwwwwww, dude!!!!!!! How ironic the chop shop scene gets chopped and it has some of the best fight sequences.

Gotta link for the French dvd handy?

Guest Markgway

The funny thing is the uncut version isn't much more brutal. It's kinda like more of the same PG-13 action (my guess is that the filmmakers always intended the film for that rating). Maybe the volume of violence was a problem rather than any specific content.

Details of the French DVD can be found here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=11627

Jeru the Damaja
The funny thing is the uncut version isn't much more brutal. It's kinda like more of the same PG-13 action (my guess is that the filmmakers always intended the film for that rating). Maybe the volume of violence was a problem rather than any specific content.

Details of the French DVD can be found here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=11627

There is a 2010 single disc and a 2006 double disc release of Only the Strong on Amazon France. The 2006 double disc looks to be out of print. Are both versions uncut or just the double disc?

2010 single disc

http://www.amazon.fr/Only-strong-Mark-Dacascos/dp/B003KJ8K7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1354828618&sr=1-1

2006 double disc

http://www.amazon.fr/Only-strong-loi-plus-fort/dp/B000FDFOEE/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1354828618&sr=1-2

Just got the US DVD and noticed a cut during the brief fight scene between Kerrigan and Silverio. There's a shot of Kerrigan being kicked in the face passing out after Silverio hits him on the back with Louis' berimbau. In the US version, this shot is missing and we're now seeing Kerrigan supposedly passing out after being hit by the berimbau. But damn, 3 min of footage cut out from this edition?! Interesting.

Here's a comparison:

Uncut (go to the 1:01:33 mark)

_tdX_t4lXik

Cut (go to the 1:04:00 mark)

oFaB9Ess3wU

Got the French DVD today and it's the uncut version. Great picture quality although the 5.1 DD audio track could've been better because it lacks the 'oomph' the original stereo soundtrack has.

I'm eying the R4 release which is uncut, in widescreen as well as NTSC and has the original soundtrack.

Got the Aussie DVD today and sadly, it's the cut version of the film (95 min). The film is region-free (opposed to information that was given to me), has the original stereo soundtrack, is in both full- and widescreen and features the theatrical trailer as extra.

Archived