1983 - Alexander Fu Sheng - 2008

teako170

One more photo - a bit depressing I'm afraid

Wasn't sure if I should post this one as I hope we'll continue to celebrate his life -

and not dwell on the unfortunate circumstances of 25 years ago.

fu_25g.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone managed to spot Fu Sheng in Four Riders?

He is the one playing the Jukebox in the club.

Thought I'd add these to go along with others contributions:

Flyers for the Fu Sheng Retrospective that Shaw Brothers issued in the month following his death.

FuShengFuneralFlyerFuneralSide.jpg

FuShengFuneralFlyerMovieSide.jpg

TributetoFuShengMovieScheduleFlyer.jpg

Below are from Cinemart April 81

picture001.jpg

picture002.jpg

Still from Marco Polo

FuShengAuto.jpg

Anyone managed to spot Fu Sheng in Four Riders?

He is the one playing the Jukebox in the club.

I have caps of his early appearances on my computer at home.

I'll try to post them this evening.

Nice pix Magic!

I read recently that "The Proud Twins" was his biggest selling movie. Please tell me this isn't true. If this is indeed his biggest selling film then I have come to the conclusion that the moviegoers of the time have strange taste in film. With films like Disciples, 5 Masters, Shaolin Temple, Heroes Two, Avenging Eagle, its hard to believe that Proud Twins was his most successful.

Forgot about the photos.

Her's Fu in Four Riders. If you blink, you'll miss him:

fu_25p.jpg

He appeared in various scenes in Young People. Even got to throw down briefly:

fu_25q.jpg

fu_25r.jpg

fu_25s.jpg

Of course, Man of Iron. First dialogue??

fu_25t.jpg

Still would like to find him in 14 Amazons.

fu_25o.jpg

Blutsbruder

Thanks a lot, teako, for this great informations !!

I watched "The 14 Amazones" three times, but never found AFS in it. Maybe, he is one of the warriors with a 'Santa Claus' hat on :D

I was told, that AFS bought the house of B.L.

BTW, a sad link... Have a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZe9g50X6Dc

SamuraiDana

I recently spotted him in a small speaking part in GENERATION GAP as Agnes Chan's cousin. I saw YOUNG PEOPLE recently, too, but didn't notice him. He gets an "Introducing" credit in POLICE FORCE, which is cited on the DVD case as Fu Sheng's debut film, although I'm assuming he did MAN OF IRON, 14 AMAZONS, YOUNG PEOPLE and GENERATION GAP first. Not the first time an actor was "introduced" in a film that wasn't his first.

I recently spotted him in a small speaking part in GENERATION GAP as Agnes Chan's cousin. I saw YOUNG PEOPLE recently, too, but didn't notice him. He gets an "Introducing" credit in POLICE FORCE, which is cited on the DVD case as Fu Sheng's debut film, although I'm assuming he did MAN OF IRON, 14 AMAZONS, YOUNG PEOPLE and GENERATION GAP first. Not the first time an actor was "introduced" in a film that wasn't his first.

Correct. PF was his first "real" role. The other films were just bit cameos (MOI, YP) or background noise (14A, 4R, and hey let's not forget The Thunderbolt Fist). Haven't seen that last one myself but according to HKCM, he's there.

GG is another story. He had a little more dialogue here - but still far from a main character. While GG was released two months before PF, I'm not sure which one was actually made first. Both films were showcased in the Mar '73 issue of Southern Screen. GG also appeared in the Jan '73 issue of HKMN.

My first Fu Sheng’s movie was Heroes Two back in the early 90’s. I remember my dad brought home a box full of vhs tapes from my uncle’s house.

I started looking through the box and found a tape that said Death Duel of Kung Fu and Heroes Two. I popped it into the VCR and as soon as I noticed it was a kung fu movie I went absolutely crazy. I use to beg my dad all the time to enroll me in karate school and he would always tell me “when you turn 7, 8, 9, Etc.” I continued to watch the movie without blinking, fearing I would miss something. Sadly, my uncle ran out of room on the tape right around the last end fight. After the movie cut off I was speechless, even though I didn’t get to find out what happened in the end. I stilled enjoyed it. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched Heroes two, but it must have been alot for my tape to finally stop working. It wasn’t until 1996 I finally found another copy with the complete ending. I was so happy I rushed home as fast as I could.

Even though Fu Sheng is no longer alive, his movies will forever remain in all of our hearts.

IN watching many of Fu Sheng's films, it almost seems like their are two Fu Sheng's over the course of his career. Fortunately from reading these posts I now know that the difference were the result of an accident he suffered. IN his earlier films he is very energetic and always seemed eager to show off his kung fu. In the later films he is kind of chubby and more of a comedian than a martial artist. For some strange reason, to me, he seemed happier on film when he was chubby and not paired up with the ultra serious Chi Kuan Chun. Actually I always wondered how Fu Sheng could not feel embarassed fighting along side him. But nevertheless he held his own but I believe their was a lot of pressure put on him in those pure martial arts movies. In films like Treasure Hunters, Legendary Weapons, he seem's to be enjoying himself a lot more on camera.

SamuraiDana

Iron Boat, you should see the Shaw film, FRIENDS (1973), which has Fu Sheng in one of his earliest starring roles. He plays a rich kid in modern-day Hong Kong who hangs around with working-class painter David Chiang and his group of friends. Fu Sheng smiles a lot in it and definitely seems to be having a good time. And there's kung fu, too! :)

Iron Boat, you should see the Shaw film, FRIENDS (1973), which has Fu Sheng in one of his earliest starring roles. He plays a rich kid in modern-day Hong Kong who hangs around with working-class painter David Chiang and his group of friends. Fu Sheng smiles a lot in it and definitely seems to be having a good time. And there's kung fu, too! :)

You should Iron, Samurai is right. Seems like Fu had a lot of fun in front of the camera in "Friends".

But it is told, that Chang Cheh used a little of Fu's private life for the story.

"Bored son of a millionaire, who wanted to find friends". In real life, Fu wanted to get a famous star like Ti and Chiang, i suppose.

IN watching many of Fu Sheng's films, it almost seems like their are two Fu Sheng's over the course of his career. Fortunately from reading these posts I now know that the difference were the result of an accident he suffered. IN his earlier films he is very energetic and always seemed eager to show off his kung fu. In the later films he is kind of chubby and more of a comedian than a martial artist. For some strange reason, to me, he seemed happier on film when he was chubby and not paired up with the ultra serious Chi Kuan Chun. Actually I always wondered how Fu Sheng could not feel embarassed fighting along side him. But nevertheless he held his own but I believe their was a lot of pressure put on him in those pure martial arts movies. In films like Treasure Hunters, Legendary Weapons, he seem's to be enjoying himself a lot more on camera.

Me thinks, his wife Jenny, had a lot of influence in his "later years". She tried to align him into the comedy side of the action (because of the money). If Fu was happy with this, we never want to know.

I always loved him in his "Shaolin" movies, and of course in movies like "Disciples" and "The New". "Na Cha" wasn't that bad, too. A fresh young Fu!

I had actually ordered that from Poker Industries about a month ago only to be told that they were sold out a 3 weeks later....think I will still get around to purchasing it. Overall I couldn't find to much information online about that particular film

fu sheng was a great talent but i'm not happy he discovered his comedic side.

i feel his roles became more about comedy than kung fu.

after seeing the new shaolin boxers i was watering at the mouth at the thought of watching such an amazing talent in other films...yet what did i find..less well choreographed and intense fight scenes, but more slapstick comedy....i need to find more films with him doing no comedy at all.

to me it seems that when he was skinny his kung fu was of bruce lee standard,but after filling out it was all about the comedy and he looked less impressive.

Blutsbruder
fu sheng was a great talent but i'm not happy he discovered his comedic side.

i feel his roles became more about comedy than kung fu.

after seeing the new shaolin boxers i was watering at the mouth at the thought of watching such an amazing talent in other films...yet what did i find..less well choreographed and intense fight scenes, but more slapstick comedy....i need to find more films with him doing no comedy at all.

to me it seems that when he was skinny his kung fu was of bruce lee standard,but after filling out it was all about the comedy and he looked less impressive.

I'm with you, and your feelings and your estimates.

In "The New Shaolin Boxers", he is absolutely great. But in his comedy works, please don't mention it...

Great pics. with (a slim) Fu are for example:

- Men from the Monastery

- Heroes Two

- Shaolin Martial Arts

But I love him most in:

- Disciples of Shaolin

and

- The New Shaolin Boxers

Cause he playd more, than just a stupid kid, surrounded by experienced heroes (like Ti Lung and David Chiang).

Fu, himself, was the hero.

Now, anyone ever been able to spot Fu in 14 Amazons?

He's supposed to be an extra but I've never found him.

Hey teako,

Came across this the other day (Hong Kong Movie News Magazine) ... can you spot Fu Sheng ???

fushengxn4.jpg

Christine

Hey teako,

Came across this the other day (Hong Kong Movie News Magazine) ... can you spot Fu Sheng ???

Christine

Christine, in a word .... AWESOME! Love the photo. Thank you.

My "best guess" for each photo is below (circled in yellow).

I know 14A is the bottom photo, so I assume the top one is from Thunder Fist? Anyone??

14A.jpg

It does look like him. In the September 1972 issue of SS, there's a pic of him receiving his actors training certificate among 45 other hopefuls on September 28th. Incidentally, cameras rolled on POLICE FORCE (THE INSPECTOR) on September 22nd.

14 AMAZONS had already been released by February of 1972 as there's pics of it in an earlier issue displaying floats for 14 AMAZONS, DEADLY DUO and OATH OF DEATH (THE ARROW & THE HEART).

I suppose they would allow some of the trainees to participate as extras as part of their training.

It does look like him. In the September 1972 issue of SS, there's a pic of him receiving his actors training certificate among 45 other hopefuls on September 28th.

Interesting! Any chance of hooking us up with a big ol' scan...? :D

I'll see what I can do, T. I'm afraid I'll break the spines on these older issues when laying them down onto the scanner's surface.

Archived