1983 - Alexander Fu Sheng - 2008

teako170

Monday will mark the 25 year death anniversary of Fu Sheng.

One of the greats (IMO) of the Shaw Studios.

I had planned to do a lengthy article on his career with upwards of 100 scans but -

been spending too much time on the PC between work/home, so I had to discontinue my freelance writing for now.

In any event, I wanted to post these pix from Cinemart (August 1983).

I hoped to get 5 of the Shaw stars that worked with him to sign this copy - that is "if" the Euro event ever takes place.

Thanks for the memories Fu Sheng. You are not forgotten....

fu_25f.jpg

fu_25e.jpg

fu_25a.jpg

fu_25b.jpg

fu_25c.jpg

fu_25d.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few odds and ends...

My absolute favorite wedding pic of the dynamic duo:

fu_25h.jpg

...props to Carol

On the set of 5 Shaolin Masters: Chang Cheh directing Johnny Wang (with a lil help from Fu) :)

fu_25j.jpg

Another great photo of the duo. Fu sporting his "C-Kid" jacket

fu_25i.jpg

...props to Carol

Love this image (esp. the painting in the bg) though not sure which film its from. Anyone?

fu_25k.jpg

There's a collection of Jenny's TV & concert appearances up on YouTube. One of them is quite sad.

Jenny, in the midst of a love song for Fu, break down and begins to sob.

Not sure when the footage was shot but its really heartbreaking.

I'll have to find the link and most at a later time.

He was one of my all time fav - no matter the genre.

Ti Lung & Jenny talking about Fu Sheng

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86CajUAGj3I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86CajUAGj3I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is the performance of Jenny crying while singing "Love is Over" in 1984

Everytime I see that it brings tears to my eyes.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-QeTARQRc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-QeTARQRc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He was one of my all time fav - no matter the genre.

You got that right KFC! And thanks for posting that YT link. :)

I wanted to interview Jenny for my piece but missed her up in N Falls.

Someday I do hope to meet with her and talk about Fu - he is truly the James Dean of Shaw Bros.

fu_25l.jpg

fu_25m.jpg

I've been into kung fu/martial arts movies my whole life, but in the last year I discovered Fu Sheng and he was once of the best. Great comedic timing and a great Shaw Brother's star.

Thanks for the scans.

Chinatown Kid

He will always be one of my faves with charisma like no other. May you rest in peace Fu Sheng, you are gone but not forgotten. Shame he left such a beautiful young wife behind, what a terrible grieving she must have had to go through...

Thanks for the scans, much appreciated.

David Rees

Fu Sheng was always my favourite , way before Jackie Chan he had comic charisma and cheekyness that made him stand out from the other Shaw stars.

He is still misssed after all these years.

Many thanks for the great scans by the way!

SamuraiDana

Thanks for the reminder, Teako. I think I'm gonna go home after work tonight and watch one of the few Fu Sheng films I own that I haven't yet watched. I have FRIENDS and POLICE FORCE on the to-view pile, so it'll be one of those. He was definitely one of the greatest. He was a fine actor as well as kung fu star. The more films of his I see the more I appreciate his immense talent. I still feel the loss.

Interestingly, I first heard of Fu Sheng when I read his obit in Variety the week after he died. And I noticed the date and the fact that it was ten years to the month after Bruce Lee died. So I resolved to try and watch something with Fu Sheng first chance I got. Which came later that year when some of his movies turned up on the old Black Belt Theater or Drive-in Theater program on WNEW/Channel 5 here in NYC, so I got to watch "Avenging Eagles" and "Bloody Avengers" (aka "Boxer Rebellion"), and was mightily impressed.

Blutsbruder

Great job teako, to remind the SB-Fans all over the world, that we lost one of the greatest SB-Stars 25 years ago !!

Fantastic pictures !! If you have more, let us die in peace :o)

Pic. with 'Drinking tigers in backround' is imo from "Shaolin Martial Arts".

I'll light a candle now and watch one of my favourite AFS movies "Disciples of Shaolin".

R.I.P. Alexander Fu Sheng

And thx to all the fans, who thought of him today.

kingofkungfu2002

Changed my avatar as a mark of respect....R.I.P Alexander Fu Sheng.

Blutsbruder

@Kingofkungfu

Wow, fantastic !! All my respect to you, I'm down on my knees !!

U are really a king !!

Thanks for the pics, Teako!

What else can I add?

He's the reason I got into Shaws in the first place.

He was truly a great - funny, charismatic, intense, full of heart...

He is indeed missed.

RIP Fu Sheng

Blutsbruder

"The New Shaolin Boxers" was one of the best SB-Movies with AFS, in my opinion.

Wang Lung Wei - always a great "bad gay".

The Fu Sheng pic teako asked about looks like it's from MARCO POLO as Fu is wearing the clothes he wore from the conclusion of that film and his hair style is the same. I have some items to post as well but I don't have time to do so at present.

Found this Southern Screen with him on the cover, going to bid for it later....

That's a nice cover. Hadn't seen that one before

I have some items to post as well but I don't have time to do so at present.

Looking forward to them V5.

Here's a promo piece for Na Cha. This is actually 2-side and fairly large (14X19).

This is just the one side of it....

fu_25n.jpg

And if some of you guys missed out, check out the Seven Man Army cast photo I posted a few months back.

The Dragon

Fu Sheng... One of my favorite all-time KF Film stars. :(

Hard to believe it's been so long ago. I remember watching films with him before I knew who he was and thinking, who is this charismatic kid? He seemed to be equally as talented as Ti Lung, David Chiang, and Chen Kuai Tai. I remember Sifu Liu Kar Liang saying he was a favorite pupil, and very agile, athletic.

Would have been BIGGER than JC had Shaws allowed him to go INTERNATIONAL.

R.I.P. Chang Fu Sheng... All-time great.

25 years, wow, that's a long a time. I had watched Shaw Films as a youth in the late 70s and early 80s. I always remembered Fu Sheng's face but since Black Belt Theater went off the air I hadn't seen these films and could only remember certain scenes from back then. Fu Sheng's films were ones that I recalled easily like 5 Shaolin Masters and Shaolin Temple. I didn't start collecting or rewatching these movies until 2000, so I was sad to learn that Fu Sheng had passed in 83. That in actuality he had already passed at the time I was watching the films in the mid 80s. That indeed was a sad revelation. When I finally watched "Invincible One" (Disciples of Shaolin) I actually thought that film was a tribute to his true passing. For those who knew him, worked with him, and his fans, it must had been tough thing to accept.

That is a great pic of him in front of that tiger painting, he looks so young, thanks for the reminder and the scans Teako, us few need to keep these guys memories alive.

First a hugh thank you to Teako170 for the scans. High quality/large scans like these are hard to come by.

I discovered Fu Sheng and Shaw Brothers films around 1986/1987 as a local independent TV channel in my area started showing Kung Fu films at midnight on Friday nights. There was no BLACK BELT THEATER opening or advertisment, just the WW Entertainment Logo and the film started. The logo said WW Entertainment but the music was the same as what was played with the World Northal logo. One night I just happened to be awake that late and was on that particular channel and decided to watch. I was 11 at the time and didn't know what the hell this was but I liked it. For a young kid who didn't have cable, lived out in the middle of nowhere, and had to go to school with a bunch of kids I couldn't stand, this late Friday night kung fu film show was one of the few things that made life tolerable.

The first film I watched was either The Flying Guillotine or Disciples of Shaolin, of course on TV it was called Invincible One. Disciples of Shaolin is still my favorite Fu Sheng film and it was shown probably 4 or 5 time during that time period.

First a hugh thank you to Teako170 for the scans. High quality/large scans like these are hard to come by.

Hey, no sweat. Just doing what little I can do for the cause :)

Now, anyone ever been able to spot Fu in 14 Amazons?

He's supposed to be an extra but I've never found him.

I've seen all Fu's flix minus these:

- Cat vs Rat

- Wits Of The Brats

- Fake Ghost Catchers

- Hong Kong Playboys

Any comments on his performance?

5 Element Boxer

He was such a skilled martial artist and actor. He was a natural. His demonstration of the Hung fist (Sp feature on SB/Celestial Shaolin Executioners DVD, I think it was) was excellent. And I can't think of one single bad performance he did.

R.I.P.

Archived