which zatoichi is this?

moongirl

My friend was recording a Zatoichi movie from television, but he erased it by accident and only caught one scene and doesn't remember which film it was. The scene he saw showed Zatoichi in the dark, and he had a burning candle on the end of his sword that he was taunting his adversaries with. Any idea which one this is? Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SlothStyleKungFu

Uhhh, well, he kinda' did the cut a candle/candle on the sword thing in a few movies.

Thats sorta' like asking "The flick where Ichi was gambling and knew he was being cheated" or "The Dragon Lee movie where he ripped his shirt off for the final battle" or "The Fu Sheng movie set in modern times where he wore horrible 70's clothing." or "The Hwang Jang Lee flick where he did a bunch of amazingly limber kicks."

Oh well. I've only seen one or two of those myself, I didn't realize it was so commonplace. Thanks anyway!

Do you remember if it was in color or B&W? If it was in color then you can at least notch off the first two movies. Of course, that leaves the other odd twenty or so, but every little bit helps. Beyond that if you can recall what channel/day it might be useful.

daisho2004

moongirl: I'm a big Zatoichi fan and I've seen all his movies a few times but these Guys are right its kinda hard to narrow it down to 1 movie do you remember any other part of the movie? That would be more helpful. But to be honest all of his movies are Great, so if you didn't see too many of them start watching them now.

kungfusamurai

I seem to recall a Zatoichi film where he has a sliced burning candle on the flat edge of his sword, probably during a finale. It was most likely one of the mid to late 60s Daiei colour flicks. Even if your friend doesn't find out which one it is, all of them are worth getting. The only one I found really weak was the Doomed Man.

Edit: Could this be the movie:

KFC Flashing Sword Review

T1XjYltG7gE

KFS

This is all I could get out of him: It was shown on a Saturday in June (probably early June) on the Kung Fu HD channel, and it was shown the same day as they also showed two Jackie Chan films. It was color, I'm pretty sure, because he would have mentioned it if it had been black and white, and I asked him if it looked like a newer movie or an older one (because he had also recorded a version of Zatoichi that had been made only a few years ago and I was wondering if it was another newer version or something), and he said he didn't know--I guess because he only really got to see a few minutes of it. Daisho, I agree with your idea of just watching them all! Kungfusamurai, thank you for posting the video, I'll have my friend check it out.

TrickyNicky

I've got one. They used to show a Zatoichi movie every saturday morning on the IFC channel a few years back. There was one in particular where Ichi defeats the bad guys but leaves the boss alive. Ichi then taunts him by laughing hysterically and sauntering out the front door, but as he is doing so, he falls on his ass because he doesn't see the last step! It is a hilarious scene, and I believe it was in B&W. Anyone know which one this was?

kungfusamurai
This is all I could get out of him: It was shown on a Saturday in June (probably early June) on the Kung Fu HD channel, and it was shown the same day as they also showed two Jackie Chan films. It was color, I'm pretty sure, because he would have mentioned it if it had been black and white, and I asked him if it looked like a newer movie or an older one (because he had also recorded a version of Zatoichi that had been made only a few years ago and I was wondering if it was another newer version or something), and he said he didn't know--I guess because he only really got to see a few minutes of it. Daisho, I agree with your idea of just watching them all! Kungfusamurai, thank you for posting the video, I'll have my friend check it out.

I didn't realize this was something that was done recently. It's probably easiest if your friend just sends an email to the Kung Fu HD Channel people. Because it's digital, maybe they can browse some archived listing of films they've played? It shouldn't be too hard to find.

KFS

kungfusamurai
I've got one. They used to show a Zatoichi movie every saturday morning on the IFC channel a few years back. There was one in particular where Ichi defeats the bad guys but leaves the boss alive. Ichi then taunts him by laughing hysterically and sauntering out the front door, but as he is doing so, he falls on his ass because he doesn't see the last step! It is a hilarious scene, and I believe it was in B&W. Anyone know which one this was?

If it was in black and white, there were only two done in B&W, and the second one ended with a duel with his brother, so maybe it's the first one? I haven't watched it for a few years.

KFS

Someone already gave you the answer, it's Zatoichi's flashing sword, in the final battle he slices up candles and says something like welcome to my world or whatever, been long time since I watched these.

I think you're right, it most likely is Zatoichi's Flashing Sword. My friend watched the clip but didn't recognize anything, but apparently he did see more of the movie than I had thought--he told me from what he could tell, there were two rival groups who both seemed like bad guys, and Zatoichi walks out on them both but later returns to fight for one of the groups. So after reading the description of Z's Flashing Sword, it sounds like the one. Thank you all very very much! I really appreciate all your help. Now to see it...:)

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

could be zatoichi's vengeance #13 I believe in the series. there are a few scenes either indoors or outdoors, in various of his films, where he does that trick. this particular film was the first i'd seen of the series and i was hooked. a really good film. considering they're basically all good, this stands a little further out than some in the series, imho.

We watched "Zatoichi's Flashing Sword" and my friend confirmed it's definitely the one he saw on Kung Fu HD. Thank you all so much for all your help! And you were also so right about these movies being great--I borrowed this from a library, and took out some others at the same time, and now I'm hooked! Thanks again!

Archived