Venoms DVD'S

David Rees

David Rees

Can anybody please list all the venoms movies released on dvd by IVL?

Theres a few i need to get including Flag Of Iron and House Of Traps but am sure i have forgotten some....

CHEAP OFFICIAL SHAW DVD'S REGION 0 $0.89!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anybody please list all the venoms movies released on dvd by IVL?

Theres a few i need to get including Flag Of Iron and House Of Traps but am sure i have forgotten some....

CHEAP OFFICIAL SHAW DVD'S REGION 0 $0.89!

Every V flick (including the pre-V stuff) has been released by Celestial.

List of flix here - minus Ninja In The Deadly Trap.

Killer Meteor

The best Invincible Shaolin DVD is the German one, which is anamorphic, genuine PAL, and has the original Mandarin mono audio with English subtitles

SamuraiDana
Every V flick (including the pre-V stuff) has been released by Celestial.

List of flix here - minus Ninja In The Deadly Trap.

Ditto what Teako170 posted. The list he linked to looks complete to me and yes, all but "Ninja in the Deadly Trap" (which wasn't a Shaw title) have been released on DVD by Celestial. I should know because I have them all. One warning about CHINATOWN KID--the Celestial DVD is made from a considerably shorter source print than the old VHS English dub. (I forget the difference in running times, but it was over 20 min., I believe.) It also has a different ending.

David Rees

Thanks for the list, i knew about Chinatown Kid hopefully some western distributor will pick up the alternate uncut version.

Can anyone tell me about the following venoms films, which are the best as far as action and choreography are concerned, i dont expect great plot or story!

LIFE GAMBLE

SHAOLIN RESCUERS

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

HOUSE OF TRAPS

LEGEND OF A FOX

ODE TO GALLANTRY

shaw dvds region 0 official only $0.89

LIFE GAMBLE

My favorite of the 5 rare V flix. Gives you the unique opportunity to see --

what the Venom films might have been like if CC filmed them outside the studio walls.

SHAOLIN RESCUERS

Lots of people like this. Watched it last night. Last of the remastered V films I had left to watch.

Some excellent hand to hand combat plus some great weapons work by Lu Feng.

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

Engaging comedy plus some nice fights. One of my favs.

HOUSE OF TRAPS

Its so nice just to see this not in "bootlegscope" for a change.

LEGEND OF A FOX

Another rare. Nothing great but better than the one below.

ODE TO GALLANTRY

Remastering did nothing for this one.

Opinions expressed by this poster are not meant to deter or coerce any individual to purchase said films and are by no means the opinion of this website or any other affiliated sites. The expressed opinions listed and $1 will buy you a double cheeseburger at any participating McDonalds. No animals were harmed in the making of this commentary. Thank you....

The Dragon

Opinions expressed by this poster are not meant to deter or coerce any individual to purchase said films and are by no means the opinion of this website or any other affiliated sites. The expressed opinions listed and $1 will buy you a double cheeseburger at any participating McDonalds. No animals were harmed in the making of this commentary. Thank you....

:DCLASSIC!

Magnificent Ruffians isnt just the best Venoms film, it's one of the best out of all the Shaw Brothers films. Excellent story, acting and, of course, action. Love it!

SamuraiDana
Thanks for the list, i knew about Chinatown Kid hopefully some western distributor will pick up the alternate uncut version.

Can anyone tell me about the following venoms films, which are the best as far as action and choreography are concerned, i dont expect great plot or story!

LIFE GAMBLE

SHAOLIN RESCUERS

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

HOUSE OF TRAPS

LEGEND OF A FOX

ODE TO GALLANTRY

shaw dvds region 0 official only $0.89

I've seen all of these. I haven't seen the remastered DVDs of SHAOLIN RESCUERS (aka AVENGING WARRIORS OF SHAOLIN) or MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS (aka DESTROYERS) yet, but I remember enjoying these two films on bootleg VHS once upon a time, SHAOLIN RESCUERS being the better of the two.

As for the others, I've seen them all on remastered DVD, all within the last two years, and I would argue in favor of ODE TO GALLANTRY as the best of them. Kuo Chui is seen in a dual role and he's very funny. It made me think he could have played Jackie Chan's parts just as well as Jackie. It's also one of the few Chang Cheh movies I can call "sweet and charming." It was quite a pleasant surprise.

HOUSE OF TRAPS and LIFE GAMBLE were both entertaining, but they don't have as many major fight scenes as the other Venoms films. I would not recommend LEGEND OF THE FOX. I saw it once, forgot I saw it, watched it again and wondered why it seemed familiar. And I can't remember anything about it even now. Here are all the notes I wrote about it when I saw it:

"Chang Cheh directs a script that seems to be two different movies crammed together, one suspiciously close to Ku Lung-type material, with its King of Poison and his female disciple playing major roles. Three Venoms on hand, but one is seen only in flashback. Lesser Chang Cheh and more of it than necessary at 122 min."

Killer Meteor
Magnificent Ruffians isnt just the best Venoms film, it's one of the best out of all the Shaw Brothers films. Excellent story, acting and, of course, action. Love it!

I thought it was a major waste of potential personally

Archived