Best Chi Kuan Chun Flick

Guest daTOAD

Black.Dragon

I always liked his character in "Golden Mask " aka "Golden Killah" . It's kind of a dark role , which I like. He is also tough in " Revenge of the Shaolin Kid ".

I have green jade statuette on the dvd player to be watched next, I thought he was badass in Shaolin Temple and Shaolin Martial Arts, even if he took a backseat to Fu Sheng he was still showed as the stronger older brother.

My favorite part of ST is when he's doing his animal forms -

ShaolinTemplex.jpg

Great upload. This is also one of my favorites! He is so intense during his animal forms.

Always a shame when Mr Pattern lets off five animals they have to make up a Dragon claw style for him instead of explaining Hung Gar's breathing and noises (Ti Sin Kuen) are the actual Hung systems Dragon technique.

When I started Hung Gar I was waiting for ages to learn those wicked Dragon shapes Mr Pattern pulls, then I found out there ain't none.Damn those choreographers for tricking me

crazedjustice888
Always a shame when Mr Pattern lets off five animals they have to make up a Dragon claw style for him instead of explaining Hung Gar's breathing and noises (Ti Sin Kuen) are the actual Hung systems Dragon technique.

When I started Hung Gar I was waiting for ages to learn those wicked Dragon shapes Mr Pattern pulls, then I found out there ain't none.Damn those choreographers for tricking me

What he is doing is actually the lau family dragon system. So it does exist, also in a non lau family hung practice, those techniques exist as well. He is using the wood element philosophy but instead of using fists, he is using tiger claws. So it still counts and the dragon is still known for its powerful clawing techniques.

Hope this helps

Yes. I've been taught a few of those dragon bits, like the one in picture above; not as part of any forms just drills, technique & principles.

crazedjustice888

Yeah, when I trained in Lam style Hung Kuen, I was also taught some techniques dealing with it. As well as in the tang Fong lineage. Its just simply using two arms at the same time with tiger claws. Lau family actually has them in a set though.

I am Lau family; we're different to Houghton's side though, we don't have we have a particular set for them in our curriculum that I know of. We're taught the techniques different to tiger claw stuff.

crazedjustice888

Thats interesting. If you could, can you ask your teacher to perform your Ng Ying Kuen? That would be really awesome to see. Sorry if it seems I am asking a lot, Kung Fu is just my life...hahahaha

Chi Kuan Chun v Dick Wei in this awesome modern day from Taiwan

-Wolf of Revenge

W1UwqI4XWjU

CKC looks GOOD in a suit. I need to see the rest of this movie! He looks GOOD in anything!

Why would Chi Kuan Chun be doing Lau family Dragon, his si-fu was Chiu Wai, Chiu Chi Ling's elder brother. I wonder if the Dragon claw techniques are here because at the time the movie was set, the Hung Gar system-and therefore their Dragon method-Tit Sin-didnt exist-after all Tit Kiu Sam was a descendant of Ng Mui, a Dragon stylist, who appears in the movie Shaolin Temple as a shadow.

I have studied in my 16 years of Hung Kuen both Ng Ying and Sap Ying, from my teacher, a student of Lam Sai Wing's last disciple Chan Hon Chung, and the Dragon we learn is the breathing and noises at the beginning of the form-the final stage before Tit Sin Kuen he has never made mention of a separate Dragon claws section of these forms-I dont dispute any other lineages claim to have them-but ours only has the Tit Sin section.

I have never seen my unofficial kung fu uncle Mark Houghton demonstrate Ng Ying, but he may have a Dragon claw technique as he learned an older variation of Hung Gar in Malaysia-descended from Hung si-jo's 1st generation of students-which is why Mark didnt have Tit Sin Kuen until he became pops's disciple

the ng ying kuen that Mark Houghton sifu teaches comes from Lau kar Fei,the dragon part is indeed external.Different then the breathing parts known as in Lam Sai Wings hung kuen..

Chi Kuan Chun is member of chiu wai family hung gar indeed,they also play dragon internal..but at the movie sets lau kar leung taught him as well and for the movies they may have made up those external dragon parts..

Think Hsieh Xing took one look at what Tommy Lee and Jackie were doing and said

"think we'll have some of that"

claw , beak, snake, paw based

Pops must have created the claw work coz theres sum in Boxer Rebellion when Mr Pattern does the Sap Ying form coz the version I do (really badly!!) aint got none. I wanted to pull those shapes...shit.

Pops must have created the claw work coz theres sum in Boxer Rebellion when Mr Pattern does the Sap Ying form .

yeah,Im almost sure..also i remember now in pops first directed movie Wong Yue busts out some dragon moves as well...

I suppose it is easier to make up some claw shapes than explain the breathing and its connection with Dragon...how are you Frank?? havent spoken to you for awhile since we talked Hung Kuen on youtube

I suppose it is easier to make up some claw shapes than explain the breathing and its connection with Dragon...how are you Frank?? havent spoken to you for awhile since we talked Hung Kuen on youtube

pretty good,cheers! About to get married in a few months :) How about yourself?

crazedjustice888
pretty good,cheers! About to get married in a few months :) How about yourself?

WHAT??? CONGRATS FRANKY!!!

Yeah, thats my opinion to. Maybe he thought that the sup ying kuen version of the dragon just wasn't visually appealing and needed to much explanation. I could always be wrong, I just love when CKC moves, HES MY HERO AND WHY I GOT INTO KUNG FU!!!

I don't know about LKL just "making up" some dragon stuff for the screen. That might imply some superficiality, I don't know where he or CKC got it - but the bits I've been shown like that are practical, in terms of finger/wrist conditioning, body connection, movement etc. Again we play it different to the way we do fu jow stuff. Don't get me wrong it's not something sifu has put a huge emphasis on, just a lesson or so, but it's good stuff, something I practice pretty often on my own & find effective as shown; do the movement with iron rings held right at the end of the fingertips, I mean right at the very end tips to the point they're ready to fall, wrists bent much as possible, some other bits of movement I can't describe now important, circular, twisting stuff, you could do some tiger stuff this way, but our principles of that are bit different. Not trying to make a big thing of it though - much much other stuff given way more dominance, but I find a couple of the bits useful as shown in ways other bits aren't. It all comes together eventually I guess.

Crazedjustice - to be honest also, we don't have ng ying or sup ying kuen in our lineage - 3 pillars yes, no ng/sup- we do CLF stuff to bridge fu hok & tit sin there instead; see overcredit demos start of Men From the Monastery & bit of My Young Auntie for some of this alternate stuff from Fu Sheng & LKL respectively.

Don't know about that Hsieh Xing/Tommy/Jackie ref - they're just doing hung deviated stuff, traditional bread & butter bits, been about for a few years by then. You could probably just put someone like CKC on screen & let him do his stuff without choreoing & I reckon it would come out the same. I reckon a guy like CKC on a shaolin based film of that time must have made Hsieh's job easy as fuck!

Also, congrats Frank!

And now a break from the technical talk about the forms and etc. On youtube there are some clips of CKC on a Tv show called The Palace Manual. Does anyone know if you can get a copy of it somewhere?

Also what is everyone watching these days? What is the one CKC film you want to see but haven't yet? I am trying to get a copy of Seven Man Army and Naval Commandos. I am going to re-watch Shaolin Avengers and Disciples of Shaolin this week.

crazedjustice888

Crazedjustice - to be honest also, we don't have ng ying or sup ying kuen in our lineage - 3 pillars yes, no ng/sup- we do CLF stuff to bridge fu hok & tit sin there instead; see overcredit demos start of Men From the Monastery & bit of My Young Auntie for some of this alternate stuff from Fu Sheng & LKL respectively.

I read somewhere that LKL doesn't like 4 pillars, but rather 3 pillars or treasures as I have heard it termed. Those two are wonderful movies and I see the point to it. Also, I understand that about the origin, I was just taking a stab at it. I have also learned some of that stuff in the other families. Not particularly in forms, but just in technique drills that deal a lot with twisting the arms and claws themselves. Fun stuff

Also what is everyone watching these days? What is the one CKC film you want to see but haven't yet? I am trying to get a copy of Seven Man Army and Naval Commandos. I am going to re-watch Shaolin Avengers and Disciples of Shaolin this week.

I don't really know of a CKC film that I haven't seen that is severely weighing on my mind to see. I have seen pretty much all of his BIG movies so if a movie comes up that I hadn't seen, I will definitely watch it. Seven Man Army and Naval Commandos are AWESOME movies. Seven Men Army actually has my favorite bits of CKC in any movie to be honest. I won't spoil anything though. Shaolin Avengers and Disciples of Shaolin are both incredible to me as well.

@crazedjustice888 a.Peringaten:thank you!

the dragon part I learned came from Lau kar Fei as well as the whole ng ying kuen set,i think i read somewhere that Lau Kar fei created that set for demos and such..its somewhat a shortened version of ng ying kuen and apart from the dragon part nothing new...anyway,i know that Lau Jaam had a 5 animal fist form in his curriculum as I met some of his students in hongkong...

if you look at this from a moviemaker perspective,its a great advance to be a gung fu master,just like LKL is...so for him its easy to make up moves and being creative..it doesnt mean those moves are worthless...those dragon application were pretty much brutal when i learned them...

Just watching Big Rascal whoaah...go on Mr Pattern draw the shapes, rubbish Pang Kang on the hillside and Kam Kong's wickedly terrible syrup of figs. Havent seen it for about 10 years so its like meeting an old friend.

About the three pillars of Hung Gar (or treasures etc) according to the prologue that used to be on the Warners video release (and now as an extra on the IVL DVD's as Hung Kuen Saam Bo) the three forms/treasures demonstrated are Gung Gee, Fu Hok and Sap Ying there is NO mention of Tit Sin in there??? I dont know why some lineages dont have Sap Ying or Ng Ying, as they are the foundation of Tit Sin-with the laughing noise etc???

And yo Frank yeah everything is cool...congrats on your forthcoming marriage.

Morgoth Bauglir

Have to go with Buddha Palm as my fav. Good comedy, helped by the fact that Chi plays it straight. And the fights, wowie woowaa.