Best Chi Kuan Chun Flick

Guest daTOAD

Guest daTOAD

Just thinking about my favorite kung fu hero. when i was a kid and watched 5 Masters of Death on Kung Fu Theatre-i was hooked.now of course this was not my first fu flick ,but the one that had the most impact on me[sundays at 12, all the kids in the neighborhood were glued to USA-we BECAME the 5 Masters-creating our own weapons and using the hand sign the Shaolin heroes used-those were the days]. i loved how CKC wore his braid around his neck[when we played i was always him], this was the coolest thing in the world to me.back then the choreo wasnt even that great[though i wasnt checking for shapes back then], but the movie still stuck to me more than any other and for the most part its because of Chi Kuan Chun. as i later started collecting these films , i found a lot of CKC films[remember when i first saw Eagles Claw--WOW--still prefer him with a braid]and then Green Jade Statuette.By this time i was checking for the choreo-he didnt let me down.i own a few of his movies but always looking for new ones[want Cotton Mill bad]. anybody have a favorite CKC flick? BTW sorry for the long wind, just felt very nostalgic.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Green Jade Statuette's gotta be one of his all time best flicks. This flick kicks ass in every department. I just cannot wear this film out.

Chi Kuan Chun is in another excellent film called, The Massive aka Murder Of Murders -the original title actually- this film also includes a great performance by Kam Kong, Lo Lieh, Yeuh Hua, Kao Fei, and The Light In The Dark -what is this guys screen name?

In Eagles Claw vs Butterfly Palm, he does a cameo at the very beginning, with some decent fighting. Have yet to find a good copy of this film though.

Iron Monkey 1977, Chen Kuan Tai's masterpiece, Chi Kuan Chun's great in this film too.

You definitely gotta get Showdown At The Cottonmill. Though some on this forum didn't really care for the flick, this film, before this Rarescope release, was never available in such quality. For $6.99 this lost gem is a steal for sure. You may as well pick up Alomg Came A Tiger as well. Another unique Tommy Lee choreographed film, in which he's the maligned villian as well, the last fight is pretty damned cool IMHO.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

I need to get his definitive or quintessential movie but in the correct aspect ratio. Which one shall I pick? Thanks.

Guest rdenn

crazy horse intelligent monkey and cottonmill and although he wasnt the lead character in disciples of shaolin i loved his character in it becuase his kung was beyond them all.

Guest BleuVenom

I liked alot of his work. What stands out in my mind is The Green Jade Statuette, Showdown At The Cottonmill, The Big Rascal, Eagle's Claw. I've got to rewatch Iron Neck Li and The Massive since it's been awhile. But He's pretty great in mostly anything when he teams up with Fu Sheng. Haven't seen Crazy Horse, Intelligent Monkey yet. Must find that one.

I got my Showdown At The Cottonmill at FYE by Rarescope for 6.99. And I do agree with Vengeance... you have to pick up Along Comes A Tiger. Man, my brother and I used to talk about this movie he was looking for a long time ago and he kept calling it Miracle Man and now I got it years later under this title.

BleuVenom

Brigadier Chow

The Big Rascal gets slept on alot, but that movie is Chi's shapes fest, also the girl in it is not a bad fighter either,don't know her name tho. Also Crazy, Intelligent is a fave.

Guest daTOAD

anybody seen Iron Neck Li or Beggar of No Equal. saw these titles at a vid store once[they were checked out]. also heard hes done a couple of wuxia.

Brigadier Chow

These are both decent flicks. Iron Neck Li has some interesting points on Taiwanese culture and traditions along w/some good fights, but it is not packed w/ action. Beggar is very good also w/ Doris Lung, hard to get a clear print of this tho. Here are some wuxia Chi appeared in:

Bloody Mission

Lone Ninja Warrior

Black Eagles Blade

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Beggars Have No Equal is another good one, Eagles Claw was the film which got me deep into the kung so it will always be a favourite of mine. I have always been partial to Buddhas Palm and Dragon Fist aka Roving Heroes too, Lee Yi Min and Chi Kuan Chun in competition to take out the bad guys, great stuff

Guest monk sante

Big Rascal is my favorite, the fights in this film are very good. This film was also directed by Chi Kuan Chun. 8)

Guest teako170
I have always been partial to Buddhas Palm and Dragon Fist aka Roving Heroes too,

Lee Yi Min and Chi Kuan Chun in competition to take out the bad guys, great stuff

Yeah, great little flick. Really enjoyed this one.

My man is definitely CKC! He's the one who got me interested in pursuing

non-Shaw/GH films and opened up a whole other world of kung.

Unfortunately, I can't narrow it down to only one film but others I like are:

Showdown, Monkey/Horse, Eagle's Claw, Master of Death, Shaolin Red Master.

Anyone seen Snake Shadow, Lama Fist?

ckc.jpg

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Hi Ivy, I don't know anything about correct ratios, but Green Jade Statuette I would have to say I believe is his quintessential film. If not only because it's an all star cast. The film is so well done in all departments of film making, the story, dialogue, character relations and development (there's a few surprises), the fight choreographing is superb.

So:

1st: Green Jade Statuette (hands down the best of his bunch - you can watch this flick over and over again throughout the years and it never loses it's charm or gets old)

2nd: Murder Of Murders aka. The Massive (Tai Seng still has this film in origanal language w/ subs - another all star cast here with excellent story, characters, and fighting)

3rd:Eagles Claw (great Chang Yi as the villian flick)

4th:Showdown At The Cottonmill (A rare casting of Tan Tao Liang as the villian)

Guest teako170
Hi Ivy, I don't know anything about correct ratios, but Green Jade Statuette I would have to say I believe is his quintessential film
There is a wide version of this over @ falkor's site but most copies floating about are full.

You guys have me intrigued about this Murder Of Murders aka The Massive. Have to look into this.

Guest chingdog

I think his top five are:

Green Jade Statuette

Eagle's Claw

Golden Mask

Showdown at Cotton Mill

Shaolin Red Master

Guest dager in the cotton

cottonmill

eagles claw

intelligent monkey

eagle fist

Disciples of shaolin

one ofhis best fight sequences was in Eagle claw v butterfly palm,

Guest justkungfuman

1.Snake Shadow Lama Fist

2.Crazy Horse Intelligent Monkey

3.Green Jade Statuette

4.Eagle's Claw

5.Beggers Have No Equal

My favorite Shaw Brothers;SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS & INVINCIBLE KUNG FU BROTHERS just to name a couple