Best "GAME OF DEATH" movie??

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

I just watched the original GAME OF DEATH, GAME OF DEATH 2 aka TOWER OF DEATH, ENTER THE GAME OF DEATH and THE NEW GAME OF DEATH aka GOODBYE BRUCE LEE in a row, to compare! And here is how I would rate them...

1: GAME OF DEATH 2/TOWER OF DEATH... the end fight is above awesome, Biao is lightning fast, Kim Tai Jung is ok, Roy Horan is cool, Hwang Jang Lee is down right frightening with his mad skills, all the fights are great, totally cheesy but in a fun way!

2: GAME OF DEATH... actually the only good thing about this one is the old Bruce footage, but that's also preety sweet, and maybe some of the Yuen Biao stuff, that cardboard cutout thing is appaling, story is ridicilous!

3: ENTER THE GAME OF DEATH... Lee Tso Nam, what were you thinking?? But seriously, the tower thing was kinda cool, and the characters were just out there, Bolo was an added bonus, and I guess Bruce Le could have been worse, mess of a film otherwise!

4:THE NEW GAME OF DEATH/GOODBYE BRUCE LEE... No comment.... well ok, this was so bad, it almost went full circle back to good, but not quite, Bruce Li was ok, and it was a fun movie in its own way!

How would you rank?? (surprise, surprise... the Bruce lovers picks Game of death as number 1) but seriously, try being totally honest!:D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Tower of Death>>Game of Death>>The New Game of Death

It's been far too long since I last saw Enter the Game of Death to give it a fair appraisal.

They're all bad, but Tower has the most action. I think the Korean version, without all the fake Bruce stuff, would probably be a big improvement.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Your right Mark, it didn't need that stupid bruceploitation stuff, it was a really decent fight flick without it.... could have done without the "lion" attack as well:)

Morgoth Bauglir

I loved the lion scene. Were we supposed to believe that it was a real lion attacking, or was it supposed to be so obviously fake? I still don't know. It seemed like the director was trying to film the lion like it was real.

Chinatown Kid

The uncut fight footage of Bruce that was shown in A Warrior's Journey and in the Japanese version called G.O.D features the best fights imo but Game of Death II is the best overall movie, plenty of action and that Greenhouse fight between Kim and Casanova Wong(originally featured in the Chinese version of Game of Death) is one of my favorite fight scenes of all time. Enter the Game of Death is the best Bruce Le ever looked to me, especially his kicks(being it was a Korean production maybe the Koreans helped him to kick better, I don't know). Goodbye Bruce Lee, His Last Game of Death was just aweful, this was made early in Ho Chung Tao's career before he matured into alot better screen fighter. The sets looked incredibly cheap and Ho looked incredibly stiff and I couldn't get that cheesy "king of Kung Fu" song outta my head. Anchor Bay released this film in a beautifully remastered w/s print but it was a waste, I much rather would have seen a remastered release of Dynamo, one of my favorite Li films.

5 Element Boxer

Game of Death 2 (Tower of Death) is #1 for me. Every fight scene was well choreographed. Roy Horan is the baddest white boy ever! Hwang Jang Lee and Lee Hio-San were both great. And Kim Tai Jung was an excellent Bruce Lee wannabe.

Guest Markgway
I loved the lion scene. Were we supposed to believe that it was a real lion attacking, or was it supposed to be so obviously fake? I still don't know. It seemed like the director was trying to film the lion like it was real.

When I was a kid I assumed it was meant to be fake... but now I'm not so sure. I think it may just be daft incompetence. Pity they couldn't find a better looking white chick to be naked.

TibetanWhiteCrane

It is meant to be real! Roy Horan went to Italy to meet with a lion tamer, to inquire about the possibility of having a real lion in the scene. But the man said it was way too dangerous. So they scrapped the idea, and went for the ole' guy in a suit gag!

When I was a kid, I too assumed that it was suppose to be the evil valet in a suit, sadly that is not the case...:)

Guest Markgway
When I was a kid, I too assumed that it was suppose to be the evil valet in a suit, sadly that is not the case...:)

That's exactly what I thought. I mean what Lion knows Kung Fu? :P

I'll say: Tower of Death, Game of Death, Enter the Game of Death and New Game of Death. Ironically I saw the Celestial dvd of NGOD at a store here yesterday, I didn't pick it up.

Guest Markgway
Ironically I saw the Celestial dvd of NGOD at a store here yesterday, I didn't pick it up.

It's ironic that such a **** film gets a brilliant looking transfer whilst MUCH better movies are stuck with cropped blur-o-vision jobs.

It's ironic that such a **** film gets a brilliant looking transfer whilst MUCH better movies are stuck with cropped blur-o-vision jobs.

I agree. It's also ironic that it took pride of place in the store while films like Eight Diagram Pole Fighter were barely visible. Again though, it seems as if it plays on the 'Bruce Lee' dynamic. A gwailo (I don't mean to use that negatively, as I am one myself) walking into the store might see it and think it's a different version of Game of Death with Bruce Lee's name misspelt or something (if they aren't familiar with KF films or to a lesser extent, Bruceploitation).

Isn't it funny Dragon Lee never did a version of G.O.D.? Especially being being in Korea making all those low budget flicks.

:rolleyes:

gravedigger666

I should educate myself and start collecting those Bruceleexploitations...Tower of death is masterpiece,way better than game of death.greenhouse fight is better than brawls real bruce involved.Credit sequence in game of death is really cool though.

... The best Game of Death film is the one we'll never see... The one Bruce had in his mind, and was constantly changing ideas for, because the HK industry at the time was looking to capitalize on his plans anyway.

I wish Taky Kimura would have filmed his proposed fights in the pagoda. I saw the letter Bruce wrote him and the airline tickets he sent Taky in September '72- on ebay- and in the letter, Bruce indicated he had ideas to really make a realistic fight scene, even requesting Taky bring his "...old, blue Gung-Fu Uniform." supposedly for an authentic, traditional appearance, lending more realism, not often seen in those days.

What might have been... :rolleyes:

bruceleeclones

how could you forget True Game of Death from the list of 'Game of Death' movies with Shou Lung (aka Lung Tien Hsiang). The fight scenes alone are classics lol

TibetanWhiteCrane

Never seen that one, otherwise I would have included it!

Is it any good? and by good I mean bearable in the realm of Bruceploitation!

bruceleeclones

it is pretty bad, but probably not as bad as Li's Goodbye Bruce Lee tho. unlike the others, this one copies its story more from the 1978 Game of Death. its a hard for me to judge the Clone movies sometimes, as im a bit biased lol.

bruceleeclones

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNTz87QwKvc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNTz87QwKvc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gotta love that funky soundtrack

...Credit sequence in game of death is really cool though.

About the only part of that film post-Bruce, that's any good. Both opening, and end credits.

To me, the documentary: Bruce Lee A Warrior's Journey, have the BEST Game of Death of all times. lol

After that, Tower of Death was very good.

Archived