My Meeting with T.F. Mou

Stuntman Jules

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very interesting, can't wait to see the whole thing. We need better versions of Mou Tun Fei's output, it's a crying shame most of his work for Shaw Brothers have only made it to VCD.

Did you ask him about his work on the mainland production Little Heroes? I'd be interested to hear about that.

Stuntman Jules
Did you ask him about his work on the mainland production Little Heroes? I'd be interested to hear about that.

Yeah, the Shaw Brothers actually told him he could make a film for them outside of the studio, provided they could sell it in Hong Kong and such. Run Run Shaw was unhappy about Lost Souls since the Shaws tried to keep politics out of their films as much as possible so Mou had to make a kid's kung fu film. Because he chose to make it in China, the Shaws were unhappy (since they couldn't sell it in Taiwan), so they let him go, which Mou was happy about since he disliked working for the Shaws.

It was during the production of Young Heroes that he first heard about Unit 731.

SlothStyleKungFu

Cool.

Mou is a true maverick. Whether you like his exploitation-meets-arthouse vibe or not, you gotta' respect that he went out on his own so he wouldn't have to compromise. Too bad that stance also means he makes a new film, what?, every ten(+) years.

Oh yeah, and A DEADLY SECRET rocks!

Excellently done, accorded the respect he deserved, and informative. Makes me want/need to seek out the stuff after his Shaw output (didn't he also do Melody Of Love there? Hear it's a romance flick? - a 'business' flick I guess then considering his more graphic fancies, perhaps?). This is too good. Hats off to you, sir.

Archived