Challenge of Death (1978)

5 Element Boxer

5 Element Boxer

challenge_of_death.jpg

Starring: Dorian Tan Tao-Liang, Don Wong Tao, and Chang Yi as the baddy.

Action Director: Jimmy Lung Fong

Directed by: Lee Tso-Nam

Is this one a good watch?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
venomsfreak

Yea it is, I have this movie too. Haven't watched it in a few years, but from what I remember it was ok, nothing spectacular. You could do alot worse.

The combo of Dorian Tan and Wang Tao is a good one, but the story is a little talky.

Morgoth Bauglir

It's a must see. I enjoyed it even more than The Hot, the Cool and the Vicious. Chang Yi practicing his Spider Fist in that huge dark room is so cool.

venomsfreak
It's a must see. I enjoyed it even more than The Hot, the Cool and the Vicious.

I liked The Hot the Cool and Vicious alot more, but that's just me.

Chinatown Kid

I enjoyed the film although I liked The Hot, the Cool and Vicious more. Wong is cool and it's always a pleasure watching Tan dish out kicks but have to say Chang Yi's spider style was a little hokey imo. I wish Tan and Wong had teamed up for more films.

Morgoth Bauglir

Hokey? Yeah I guess maybe it was, but I thought it was just as cool if not cooler than his smoking palms of death in Phantom Kung Fu. Maybe with other actors I wouldn't have bought into it, but Chang Yi is awesome in that role. I'm a big big fan of the made up kung fu styles like centipede and lobster, so when I saw that spider style I had a big smile on my face:D

I liked this one, too but also thought HOT, THE COOL & THE VICIOUS was better. Isn't this the one where Tan has to arrest Wong Tao for whatever reason and they end up dueling with Chang Yi? His spider style is the only thing I remember about this one right now. Only watched it once.

Chinatown Kid
Hokey? Yeah I guess maybe it was, but I thought it was just as cool if not cooler than his smoking palms of death in Phantom Kung Fu. Maybe with other actors I wouldn't have bought into it, but Chang Yi is awesome in that role. I'm a big big fan of the made up kung fu styles like centipede and lobster, so when I saw that spider style I had a big smile on my face:D

I hear ya Morgoth! :cool:

Chinatown Kid
I liked this one, too but also thought HOT, THE COOL & THE VICIOUS was better. Isn't this the one where Tan has to arrest Wong Tao for whatever reason and they end up dueling with Chang Yi? His spider style is the only thing I remember about this one right now. Only watched it once.

That's the one venom, it's similar to The Hot and Vicious except instead of Tommy Lee as the villian you have Chang Yi. When he started shooting the spider webs out of his hands it got a little to over the top for me lol.:D

That's the one venom, it's similar to The Hot and Vicious except instead of Tommy Lee as the villian you have Chang Yi. When he started shooting the spider webs out of his hands it got a little to over the top for me lol.:D

That's probably why I just remember that one part of the movie.:P

Morgoth Bauglir

When Chang Yi started shooting out those spider webs, I thought that the movie had just achieved maximum awesomeness:D And you mention Chang Yi being the villain instead of Tommy Lee. That's one of the many things I like more about Challenge of death. Chang Yi is the main villain, but you still get a cameo fight from Tommy Lee.

Chinatown Kid

Yeah I can understand you really liking this film if you go for that type of stuff in kung fu films, nothing wrong with that.:) I usually just like to see the MA skill of the actors involved portrayed but I do like some of the gimmicks displayed in them from time to time as well. BTW, I'm just curious but have you seen Iron Man morgoth? That movie had a lot of great special effects/cgi on top of a pretty good story, I really liked it and i'm sure you probably would too. I'm hoping Incredible Hulk is just as good.

5 Element Boxer
Chang Yi practicing his Spider Fist in that huge dark room is so cool.

That statement, alone, is more than enough persuasion for me. Thanks, Morgoth. I, too, am also a huge fan of made-up kung fu styles, especially if they look cool and are convincing.

And thanks to everyone else for sharing your opinions. I will buying this movie extremely shortly. :cool:

Morgoth Bauglir

No Chinatown Kid I haven't seen Iron Man. I rarely go see movies. It's been at least a few months. But I will be seeing the new Batman the day that comes out.

5 Element Boxer just so you know, don't expect some kind of super cool fist technique. It's not really about that. It's more like Spiderman. I thought you may want to know that going into the movie. Otherwise, you'll be like "this sucks compared to lobster style!!":p

This ones escaped me over the years, but if it's on par with Phantom KF I'll love it.

When Chang Yi started shooting out those spider webs, I thought that the movie had just achieved maximum awesomeness

I'm soldXD

tan.jpg

I really like this movie too. I am still more a fan of HCV but more from a nostalgic sense (it was the first Tan film I saw in the theaters back in the mid 1980s). I have a signed HK poster of the film as well I will try and post.

kungfusamurai

Since Youtube came into existence, I've used to learn that as a resource for both audio and video, to get a sample of what I want to get. Usually the users just post the fight scenes, which to be quite honest, is the only reason to get kung fu films. You don't buy them for the acting. Just a recommendation if people are wondering what a film is like, and want to see what some of it is like before buying.

Here's the youtube clip of the Challenge of Death's finale (if you don't want to find out if the good guy wins and the bad guys lose, don't bother watching it to the end, but who am I kidding - we all know pretty much how the films turn out):

y_99sQam1GI

KFS

5 Element Boxer

I was only interested in this movie for Chang Yi. I borrowed it from a friend and didn't even finish it. This crap isn't worth my time.

but I thought it was just as cool if not cooler than his smoking palms of death in Phantom Kung Fu.

Nothing is cooler than the smoking palms of deathXD

Just watched this(thanks Teako!), have to say it wasn't one of Lee Tso Nam's better movies but was worth watching for the team up of Wong Tao and Dorian Tan, as always Chang Yi is the shit, and I liked the idea of the spider style but it just came off very sluggish with the limited wire work they had then(and budget I'm sure).

I spotted the tree and backdrop at the end of Fatal Needles Fatal Fists in there when they were gambling.

Morgoth Bauglir

lol yeah Challenge of Death is not exaclty big budget. I thought they did pretty well with what they had, but yeah it could have been better. Glad you thought the movie was at least decent.

What is your favorite Chang Yi performance (I'm guessing Mantis in the Monkey's Shadow)? I would probably say that it is his best performnce, right there with Shaolin Traitorous and The Ming Patriots. Tough decision for me. Those smoking palms of death are ultra cool, and his acting performance in that movie is so damn good. He owns every scene he's in. he should have had more kf comedy roles like that.

My favorite role of his has to be Bells of Death, he's so young and doesn't look like any of the mustashed villains he went on to play in later years, for his indy films it would be Phantom KF, he's probably the reason I like that movie so much(I know, some people hate it), thing is, it is sort of a comedic role but they didn't take it to far to where he was cheesy, he was more of a smartass that could kick some serious ass, if only other directors could know where to halt off the comedy.

Is it me or does Wong Tao have the largest skull in KF?:P

Archived