Shaolin films of Shaw Brothers

thedangerouskid

thedangerouskid

As someone getting back into the genre I always remembered my confusion around these films and was hoping for a good answer here :)

Basically was there an order to them or did it just happen that they "sort of" followed on simply because they were based around the same characters?

i.e. Men from The Monastery starts with Ma Fu at the burning of Shaolin Temple but I was told that this was made before Shaolin Temple (my facts are easily wrong).

I have quite a few of these films and would like to know i've got them all so if anyone could lay out which order they think they run in if at all that would be good for me to tick them off.

Cheers

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gravedigger666

edit;heroes two and men from the monastery were made before shaolin temple...fu sheng displayed fong sai yuk in all those as did in shaolin avengers...he dies in monastery and avengers from anal thrust.

thedangerouskid

actually i've just realised looking back on covers on flashlegs that what I mean was 5 shaolin masters was the one that looked like it continued from Shaolin Temple not Men from the Monastery.

See i'm confused lol :confused:

5 Shaolin Masters was made before Shaolin Temple, but the story picks up where Shaolin Temple ended, after the burning of the temple. I haven't really seen any connection between the other similar movies, only that they have a lot of the same characters present. I still have to see Shaolin Avengers.

gravedigger666
actually i've just realised looking back on covers on flashlegs that what I mean was 5 shaolin masters was the one that looked like it continued from Shaolin Temple not Men from the Monastery.

See i'm confused lol :confused:

5 shaolin masters would seem follow up for shaolin temple but ma fu yee is killed in ST..ignore that story flows along

HEROES TWO (1973)

MEN FROM THE MONASTERY (1974)

SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS (1974)

FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS (1974)

DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN (1975)

SHAOLIN AVENGERS (1976)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976)

NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS (1976)

The first two play out simultaneous of one another linked by a sequence that is featured in the second film. The temple is burning at the opening of HEROES TWO.

The third takes place some time after fighting has ceased between Shaolin and Qing. Hung Si Kwan and the other famous heroes are already dead.

The fourth title takes place after the temple is destroyed and details the five "unknown" heroes of Shaolin.

The fifth really has nothing to do with the famed temple aside from the styles used and that the villains are Qing.

The sixth film is virtually a remake of MEN FROM THE MONASTERY only here the story is told via flashback during a battle that plays out over the course of the entire film. Fong Si Yu's Iron Skin training is shown in detail here. Aside from the virtual copy of the earlier film, the flashback/wraparound segments are well handled by CC.

The seventh deals with the temple itself and a motley clutch of monks and monks-to-be. The film ends where HEROES TWO and FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS begins.

The eighth film has nothing to do with the temple other than the styles used and this is a rare Fu Sheng solo vehicle. A very good movie.

If you want to be a completist, Chang Cheh revisited the Shaolin cycle in his venom movies but the focus was more on the fight scenes than the macho bravado seen in his earlier films. These are--

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN (1977)

SHAOLIN RESCUERS (1979)

TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN (1980)

The first film is the only one of the three to feature the temple before it is destroyed. You never see the temple, but both schools, North and South are talked about throughout as they are pitted against each other.

The second and third titles take place after the destruction of the temple. The second features the Hung Si Kwan character battling the Wu Tang Clan. The temple is burned in a very operatic fashion during the opening credits as the various villains are introduced.

The third title deals with the Tung Chin Chien and Hou Wei Chin characters again fighting the Qing army. Similar scenes re-enacted from previous CC shaolin movies such as SHAOLIN AVENGERS. Good first 30 minutes and finale but the middle is awful.

thedangerouskid

From this list it seems i'm missing 5th & 8th.

HEROES TWO (1973)

DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN (1975) missing

SHAOLIN AVENGERS (1976)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976)

NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS (1976) missing

Thanks for you help it's been good insight. I don't think when i saw Shaolin Avengers I realised it was a remake I actually loved the way it told the story through that final battle and having the flashbacks as it were.

I guess why it confused me is that in Shaolin Avengers Fu Sheng is "invincible" and in Shaolin Temple he goes to learn how to fight. So really there's just a loose connection between all these films but I love the ideas behind them

thanks for the help

The story goes that Fong Si Yu learned the Iron Skin technique from his mother, not at Shaolin Temple. DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN was CC's biggest hit and easily Fu Sheng's best performance. Great, great movie. A retelling of his earlier BOXER FROM SHANTUNG.

HEROES TWO (1973)

DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN (1975)

SHAOLIN AVENGERS (1976)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976)

NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS (1976)

Would you be able to put them in chronological order please?

The same numbers signify a movie that either exists parallel to, or covers events seen in an earlier film or consists of events that occur at roughly the same, or reasonably equivalent time frame...

1--SHAOLIN TEMPLE

2--HEROES TWO

2a--MEN FROM THE MONASTERY

2b--FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS

2c--SHAOLIN AVENGERS (something of a remake of MFTM with history of Hou Wei Chin and Fong's fight atop the poles and subsequent death played out again. The training from his mother provides the most interesting aspect outside of the curious storytelling device)

3--SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS

4--DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN

5--NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS

Guest Markgway
DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN (1975) NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS (1976)

Despite the English titles these weren't part of the Shaolin cycle.

In Chinese they're (roughly) "Hung Fist Kid" and "Tsai Li Fu Kid" respectively.

Yes, I am familiar with the Chinese names, but both are always referred to being part of the series despite the lack of a Shaolin Temple save for the styles used. In Chang's Memoirs these two are mentioned as part of the series. According to Chang, DISCIPLES, or HUNG BOXING KID was actually intended to be shot earlier than it actually was.

The Dragon
...he dies in monastery and avengers from anal thrust.

:rolleyes:

That's one way to put it...

(No pun intended)

Archived