John Chiang?

HAZ

Hi,

I never knew that David Ching had an alias!!!! Unbeknowest to me, he's also known as "John" Chiang. I found a forum dedicated to John/David while sniffing around for movies on-line. Its a chinese language forum, but they also have a english section:

http://ajohn.net/forum-9-8.html

There are some nice photos posted, current news, & links to sites where you can watch some of Chiang's films, like "Legend Of The Owl". To save people the trouble of searching, here is a link:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/tqzdCVpvwb0/

Legend Of The Owl is a pretty crazy movie.

Enjoy!!!

h

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Huh, I didn't know that he was ever called John. I figured you were talking about John Chang from Eagle's Killer and Police Story 2.

Guest Markgway

He used the name John after leaving Shaws. Sometimes he's billed as John Keung his Anglo-Cantonese name. Maybe David wasn't his original choice?

Asmo & Markgway are right - John was his first given English name (I think he's called such on the Celestial Shaolin Handlock trailer).

I don't think there's ever been an expanation given as to why/when it was changed to David.

From what I heard/read: As his birth name was Yim Wai, Shaw gave him the surname of Chiang (possibly because it was fairly recognisable) and added 'Dai' to his given name to make it the transliteration of 'David' (Dai Wai also means “True Greatness”).

Le Péril Jaune
From what I heard/read: As his birth name was Yim Wai, Shaw gave him the surname of Chiang

That is not correct. His family name IS Chiang, Yim Wai was his Cantonese stage name as a child actor. His father's Cantonese stage name was Yim (Yan in Mandarin) and all his children used the same stage name as child actors.

That is not correct. His family name IS Chiang, Yim Wai was his Cantonese stage name as a child actor. His father's Cantonese stage name was Yim (Yan in Mandarin) and all his children used the same stage name as child actors.

Ahh, that explains a lot more. Thanks for clearing that up.

From what I read, he did a movie called something like Lost Secret of Kung Fu, and he was credited as "Garth Lo". Not sure if this was true or not..can anyone clarify?

I was about to mention this;yes it is true he was billed as something like Garth Lo or Gareth Lo in an independent movie called The Lost Kung Fu Secret released in theatres in the early 80s but this was the only film I know where he uses this name.It was one of his better films after he left Shaws.The movie also stars Tsai Hung,my darling Hsu Feng and others.Watch it if you can get hold of a dvd.Whether the owners of the video rights will use his popular David Chiang name to sell the dvds is another matter but in theatres,he was definitely billed as Garth or Gareth Lo for this film.

Archived