Bruce Lee True Story/Man & Myth/Fist of Fury 2

Guest shukocarl

Guest shukocarl

Right...can someone tell me which is the BEST english version of this film doing the rounds?

I have the following:

UK dvd- typical 'grindhouse' print with lots of missing frames

and censored nunchuck scene - wide-ish

Unknown Version with 'True Story' tiltle and opening credits-Full frame.

Various US dvd's all with the same lousy print-full frame.

Port of Japanese print (best print so far) but in mandarin.

Not seen the Video Asia version...but I know what to expect.

Any others out there that are better?

Linn Hayes tried unsuccessfully to secure a decent release for this...pity.

Same with Fist2. Lousy grainy versions out there ported from the original UK Hokushin tape (minus chucks)....any hope of ths getting cleaned up sometime soon?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest killer meteor

I have an uncut tape of FOF2 with the chucks intact

ManMyth is interesting. The UK tape and DVD version has credits at the beginning of the film but no title card. The US VHS i saw uploaded on youtube had an animated title card, the same as the US trailer, but no credits.

The ending was even odder. The UK tape has Bruce's final scene dubbed by the same New York team as the rest of the film. The US version reverts to a longer version of the sequence, dubbed by the HK based dubbers from the Shaw Brothers films. Very odd

Guest shukocarl

Yeah KM it IS odd! BTW the 'True Story' print I have follows the same format as the US version with the dub but has the opening credits. Looks like UK version just hacked out the 'True Story' title frames.....

Guest Markgway

How long does the uncut version of BRUCE LEE - TRUE STORY (aka THE MAN, THE MYTH) last? The English dub with nunchaku sequence runs roughly 85 mins (88.5 @ NTSC speed). Is that the full version? Or does the Chinese print run longer?

Thx.

As for Fist Of Fury 2....

The Hokushin tape is actually still censored and is annoyingly in full screen.

The Hokushin tape misses a small segment during the scene in which the Ching Wu students are branded by the japanese.

See this thread for details - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5948&page=2

Also the version i have put together of this film is widescreen, which for me, makes the film a lot better.

But I'm just biased, I love that film.

ChineseSausage
Right...can someone tell me which is the BEST english version of this film doing the rounds?

I have the following:

UK dvd- typical 'grindhouse' print with lots of missing frames

and censored nunchuck scene - wide-ish

Unknown Version with 'True Story' tiltle and opening credits-Full frame.

Various US dvd's all with the same lousy print-full frame.

Port of Japanese print (best print so far) but in mandarin.

Not seen the Video Asia version...but I know what to expect.

Any others out there that are better?

Linn Hayes tried unsuccessfully to secure a decent release for this...pity.

Same with Fist2. Lousy grainy versions out there ported from the original UK Hokushin tape (minus chucks)....any hope of ths getting cleaned up sometime soon?

Actually the Videoasia version of True Story is better in that it does not miss frames, and is also a little better in general than the 'grindhouse' print. it is still FS though.

Archived