Let's talk Macgyver!

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

One of my favorite shows, as a kid at least. It gets repetitive, but it's still fun to watch an episode or two every once in awhile. If you grew up with Macgyver as a kid, you know how great it was. It was like a 47 minute b-action movie. Sometimes nonstop action. I thought I would start this thread so everyone can share their favorite Macgyver moments and episodes. One of my faorite episodes is from the first season. Thief of Budapest. It starts out with a cold intro, meaning it doesn't have anything to do with the episode. Macgyver has to steal back a valuable horse because people may go to war over it. He has a pole vs sword duel on horses with a big mustache guy and Macgyver of course wins, and to top it off he rams his horse into a couple other guys on horses who were circling around him. Then there's something I've never seen before. A helicopter comes flying above Macgyver and has a strap attached to it which Macgyver puts on the horse and the helipcopter flies them away. Breathtaking. Then the episode actually starts. There's an amazing painful looking stunt, a bar fight, a fun car chase with a bunch of Mini Coopers going down stairs and other cool stuff, Macgyver makes out with a hot gypsy woman, he slides down a slanted roof Jackie Chan style, and they don't even use a stunt double. Such an awesome episode.

I loved the Cliffhanger-like episode with Murdock. I remember that guy was scary as hell when I was a kid.

Macgyver was actually quite brilliant in conveying anti violence/drugs/alcohol/weapons messages and making it appear somewhat cool to abstain. :)

What a man, and what a show. I'm not sure if I'd like it as much today as I did back in the days, though.

Robotech_Master

Did you know that yesterday was the 111th anniversary of the original Swiss Army Knife's introduction? Wired had an article and photo gallery about it. (Though, oddly enough, they didn't mention MacGyver at all.)

MacGyver started off as a really awesome show, but it really went to crap toward the end. Especially with those last-gasp TV movies, where they didn't even pay lip-service to the fact that MacGyver's jury-rigging was actually supposed to work. Starting an airplane with the awl blade of a knife? Oh come on.

I wonder if anything will come of the "MacGyver Jr." sequel series I heard they were looking into making…

Morgoth Bauglir

I was watching Macgyver season 3, and the last episode (Murderer's Sky) has Ernie Reyes Jr in it. It's always great to see him. And Tia Carrera is also in it, as a villain. Too bad Reyes only gets one fight. But at least he got to do something, unlike Conan Lee in the episode he was in.

Morgoth Bauglir

Here's another good episode I thought I should report on. The season 5 finale. There is a surprising amout of depth to the story, but it is a very weird episode. Macyver is in a coma and he dreams that he is on a boat to Heaven with his family. But his Grandpa says Macgyver cannot die. Some guards on the boat overhear his Grandpa, and him and Macgyver get locked up so they don't cause trouble. So of course now Macgyver has to find a way out. And they make it so that if he doesn't escape in his dream, he won't make it out of the coma. They have Macgyver dreaming that he is on a rope sliding down the side of the boat trying to escape, and the doctor while giving him the electric treatment says "he's not on solid ground yet". I had to laugh outloud. I can't help but wonder if the writers of the show were on drugs, but I enjoyed the episode.

Morgoth Bauglir

That's probably the only good thing I've seen on SNL in the last few years. I wonder if they have enough of those clips to put out a DVD. I would buy it.

Did anyone catch the reboot of Macgyver with Lucas Till (X-Men, The Spy Next Door) in the lead. It lasted 5 seasons with the finale just this past April. Pretty good run for a reboot. 

“The past five years have been what I will look on later as the most formative years of my life. Lots of tough, lots of love. I made lifelong friends, actually no, family. I learned to push myself to new limits, breaking through and through and through. Was nervous to take up the mantle of an icon and you guys allowed me into your homes and accepted me. I’m like the Roger Moore of MacGyvers now thanks to your support.” (Calling Richard Dean Anderson the Sean Connery of MacGyvers LOL)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 2:27 PM, AlbertV said:

Did anyone catch the reboot of Macgyver with Lucas Till (X-Men, The Spy Next Door) in the lead. It lasted 5 seasons with the finale just this past April. Pretty good run for a reboot. 

“The past five years have been what I will look on later as the most formative years of my life. Lots of tough, lots of love. I made lifelong friends, actually no, family. I learned to push myself to new limits, breaking through and through and through. Was nervous to take up the mantle of an icon and you guys allowed me into your homes and accepted me. I’m like the Roger Moore of MacGyvers now thanks to your support.” (Calling Richard Dean Anderson the Sean Connery of MacGyvers LOL)

No, I don't usually care for reboots of good tv shows/movies. So I'm hesitant about checking them out. I mean, for every great one like Bates Motel(Which is kind of a Reboot/Prequel) you get crap like CW's Kung Fu and Walker, Texas Ranger

The last part of that quote is pretty funny though. And it seems like Lucas is a pretty cool and humble guy. Maybe I'll check it out at some point. 

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 7/6/2021 at 10:27 PM, AlbertV said:

I’m like the Roger Moore of MacGyvers now thanks to your support.

More like that '90s animated series called James Bond Jr.

• Like 3