The Man from Hong Kong (1975)

SamuraiDana

One Armed Boxer
On 8/12/2008 at 1:36 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen the One Armed Boxer...always thought I'd wait for a proper release uncut and subbed, so have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I may never see it!

Reading my own comment from 2008, I’m reminded that as kung-fu fans we should never give up hope. Miracles do happen!

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
On 7/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, Cognoscente said:

You would think that Jimmy would have stepped up his game after Bruce came onto the scene.

Considering he just clobbered the stuntmen for real, maybe he did!

• Like 1

I like this film alot, Jimmy's style of fighting suits a crime thriller like this very good and the stunts are over the top!

It would be cool though if Sammo's role of a villain would develop further.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

It's ironic that Enter the Dragon had his best fighting role in a '70s international production. He was a shadow of his ETD self in Game of Death, and his role in The Man from Hong Kong wasn't up to scratch. It's also ironic that Jackie didn't work as a stuntman on this movie considering that Australia is his second home, and he mentioned in an Impact interview that he regarded Jimmy as an older brother.

• Like 2

Actually prefer this film to any Bruuuuuuuuce Lee movie.  Jimmy was doing his own stunts in modern action movies long before Jackie Chan made it his gimmick.  It's an underrated, blast of a movie that was completely mismarketed in America.  Oh, and that fraud Ric Meyers hates Wang Yu for some odd reason.  To hate the man who created the genre you've conned people into believing you are some sort of expert takes some deceptive gumption.  

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 7/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, Cognoscente said:

It's ironic that Enter the Dragon had his best fighting role in a '70s international production. He was a shadow of his ETD self in Game of Death, and his role in The Man from Hong Kong wasn't up to scratch. It's also ironic that Jackie didn't work as a stuntman on this movie considering that Australia is his second home, and he mentioned in an Impact interview that he regarded Jimmy as an older brother.

MFHK was prior to Jimmy and Jackie working together.

• Like 2

There's an interview that Jackie did for the January 1996 issue of Impact where he implied that they knew each other for a longer time.

Impact: The last time I can remember a Chinese crew coming to shoot a Kung Fu movie in Australia was for the Wang Yu film Man from Hong Kong, in which Wang Yu fought Samo Hung on Ayers Rock. Did you work on that film as a stuntman?

Jackie: No. I worked for the same company but I was doing a film in Korea at that time.

Impact: You mentioned that you never had pressure put on you to make films, but you did make a film for Wang Yu in Taiwan, Island of Fire. Why did do you that?

Jackie: Because of Wang Yu. He watched me grow up. When I was young, he was already a big star. You already know Wang Yu's (Triad) background. For all those years, he treated me like his younger brother. He asked me to come and help him, to be a guest star, but there wasn't any pressure. Some other people, yes. Not me.

• Like 2

Back to what Jackie said about why he couldn't work on the film, it got me thinking about something that hasn't been specified really well in either of his books - when he lived in Australia during his two sojourns there.

In his first book, Jackie (or Jeff Yang) claimed that he was 19 when he initially left HK for Australia. His 20th birthday was in April 1974. He also claimed that his first Australian tenure lasted for six months before he reunited with Sammo to do The Hand of Death, which was released in July 1976 (the same month when New Fist of Fury was released).

In Never Grow Up, Jackie claimed he was in Australia for "only several months" before he reunited with Sammo to do the John Woo movie. Both books trot out the same narrative: this movie being the only thing that Jackie could get his hands on before he went to Australia again. In the second book, Jackie says: "I'd been back in Hong Kong for only a short while and had hoped to make a name for myself before returning. Instead, I might have to beat a shameful retreat from Hong Kong and slip back into Australia in disgrace."

Regarding the time that Jackie spent in HK between his two Australian sojourns, there are no references in either book to All in the Family (released in February 1975). This film would have been made around the same time when The Man from Hong Hong began filming: the fall of 1974 i.e. when Jackie claimed to have been too busy working on a movie in Korea.

There are also two other movies that he appeared in before New Fist of Fury - No End of Surprises (released in December 1975), and The Himalayan (released in February 1976). In the Jeff Yang book, there is an anecdote about Jackie meeting Willie Chan for the first time at Charlie Chin's wedding, which happened in October 1975. This was prior to Jackie returning to Australia where he received a telegram from Willie about the Lo Wei deal.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

I just finished watching this (I haven't seen this in a couple of years) and I still think it's one of the best action films of the 70's...

I don't think Brian Trenchard Smith ever made a better film.

• Like 3