The Man from Hong Kong (1975)

SamuraiDana

SamuraiDana

I watched the new Fortune Star DVD of “The Man from Hong Kong” (1975), a Golden Harvest production made largely in Australia and starring Jimmy Wang Yu and George Lazenby, with Sammo Hung doubling as a supporting actor and the martial arts choreographer. Curiously, its theme song, “Sky High,” from a group called Jigsaw, was a top-40 hit in the ‘70s. I remember the song and recently heard it on an oldies radio show, but I never knew it originated with this film. (“You’ve blown it all sky high, by telling me a lie…”) This film got released in the U.S. as "The Dragon Flies" in 1975, not much of an appetizing title, if you ask me.

It’s not a very good movie, slowed down as it is by mundane romantic interludes with two different unremarkable Aussie females, and unexciting car, motorcycle and foot chases that go on forever, filled with lame “gags.”

There are a lot of fight scenes, but they’re not terribly imaginative. I couldn’t tell if it was because the Aussie producers vetoed Sammo’s more clever ideas and made him dumb it down, so to speak, or if Wang Yu’s style of fighting made it difficult for Sammo to do his usual choreography. Plus, Sammo couldn’t speak English. There’s really only one HK-style fight scene and it involves Jimmy vs. a room full of Chinese martial arts students working for the bad guy and they use a lot of traditional weapons. I recognized one of the students as Lam Ching Ying.

Still, it's a different side of Wang Yu than we're used to seeing from his Shaw Bros. and early Golden Harvest films. And this new DVD is very high quality. (One of the extras is the original trailer, with "SEE 'The Man from Hong Kong'" repeated ad nauseum.)

After watching the DVD, I looked up the film in Bey Logan’s book, Hong Kong Action Cinema, and the issue of the film’s fight choreography is indeed addressed by Sammo:

“Wang was never a martial artist in the way that Bruce Lee was, so they launched him in this tough police thriller. They wanted the action to be more realistic, less stylised. There was one sequence we shot in a kwoon that used all the old weapons, but basically it was just street fighting. Later, Hong Kong films went in that direction, but in 1974, everyone wanted to see kung fu!”

• Like 2

Seems like Wang Yu again pioneered the action genre with this film, because as you said SamumraiDana, the industry took off in that direction a few years later with Jackie Chan's Police/Cop films gaining notoriety.

Old Wang couldn't catch a break.

:o

• Like 2

kungfusamurai

I haven't seen this film since I was a kid, so I don't recall it being good or bad. I'll have to check it out! I like the theme song by Jigsaw. They were an Aussie pop group and I think this was their biggest hit:

0AFclZSUBuA

I like the version on the movie audio intro, because it's much longer.

I don't think I'd give Jimmy Wang Yu credit for starting this 'genre'. The modern actioner was kind of Bruce Lee's thing. Most of the Bruceploitation flicks that were made after Lee's death with set in modern times. GH was probably hoping to get in another Enter The Dragon-type action thriller with an international star like Lazenby and a recognizable kung fu star like Wang Yu. I think this would be the last film Wang Yu would do for Golden Harvest. I think the 80s modern kung fu actioners were started by Sammo, when he did films like Carry On Pickpocket and Winners & Sinners.

KFS

• Like 1

Kungfusamurai, I think you forget old Wang had films like Seaman No.7, and Knight Errant and a few others... A Queen's Ransom.

He was doing it without knowing really what he was doing, pioneering. Say what you will about his acting/action skills or lack there of, however, Wang Yu contributed mightily to this subgenre and won't get much credit.

King basher. :D

• Like 1

He wasn't bad in some action scenes of 'Seaman No 7' (hope it comes out soon and doesn't keep getting postponed!!). Not watched 'Queens' or 'Knight' before.

• Like 1

I, for one, like this movie. It has good pacing and action, and Lazenby proves he is no slouch in the MA department. Also the bit where Jimmy Wang stands over the guys burning body is pretty cool, Jimmy's a badass in this.

And Chen Lung, love that avatar, bloody hilarious! That made me laugh uncontrollably

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

The Man From Hong Kong is my favorite Wang Yu movie, good pop'um in the nose basher action from Jimmy with nice Aussie locales. The Dojo fight and the fight in the Chinese restuarant kitchen were highlights to me. Cool movie theme song as well with that 70's flavor, oh yeah! :D

• Like 1

He wasn't bad in some action scenes of 'Seaman No 7' (hope it comes out soon and doesn't keep getting postponed!!). Not watched 'Queens' or 'Knight' before.

I'm still looking for Queen's Ransom and I have Knight Errant, another in the vein of Seaman, with Kurata as the villian. It's also memorable for the "old grandma" who used Iron Belly and allowed Wang to run her over in a taxi! No Lie! and the effect is real- she was actually lying on the turf while Jimmy was putting the peddal-to-the-mettle! Lol!

Great stuff! Jimmy and Kurata survive blows that would kill the average Orge from Lord of the Rings. I think I'll watch it again tonight!

:cool:

Oh... I forgot, Jimmy has samples of Curtis Mayfield music, from Superfly! ;)

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I watched this movie again for the first time in a while a few days ago...the level of unintentional racism in it always cracks me up, like when Jimmy beds the second Aussie girl and she says "You're my first Chinese!"...then she pulls her eyes back and says "Will you settle for plastic surgery?"!!! Hilarious.

The fat Aussie cop with the bad afro gets all the best lines though..."This country has a very small population and he's getting through it very quickly"...classic!

• Like 1

I've just ordered this from YesAsia and am looking forward to it, mightily!

Especially after some of these reviews!!

A Queen's Ransom is out on VCD, TheDragon - again, ordered from YesAsia.

Damn, I loves me some Lazenby moustachioed action!!

Of all Jimmy's films, which would you guys say is the very best?

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Although I can't claim to have seen them all, out of the ones I have Master Of The Flying Guillotine holds a special place for me, maybe because it was the first Jimmy Wang Yu flick I ever saw, and the pure crazyness of it makes for great entertainment.

Other definite must see's for various reasons for me would be, Return Of The One Armed Swordsman, Golden Swallow, The Assassin, Trail Of The Broken Blade, and Beach Of The War Gods. All contain great scenes of Jimmy as a one man army ploughing through hordes of attackers, armed with only his sword, that I always thought gave him a real cool factor.

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen the One Armed Boxer...always thought I'd wait for a proper release uncut and subbed, so have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I may never see it!

• Like 1

Thanks, OAB! :D

I've ordered Beach of the War Gods and Seaman No. 7, both of which were on my "to do" list for the longest time!!

• Like 1

Seaman No.7 is coming out (god knows when as no definitive date has been given) with remastered English subtitles from Germany, old-skool English dub and a few extras.

Far better than Japanese barebones expensive PAL>NTSC ****.

• Like 1

I think Jimmy's best film is The One Armed Swordsman. I don't know if it's because of Chang Cheh, or what? However, my favorite Jimmy flick is The One Armed Boxer. Man I can watch this as much as I watch a Bruce Lee film... and you all know how I like my Bruce! There's just something about all the characters, and the cheesy action, I can't get enough of. I know it's that way for some with Master of The Flying Guillotine, but this is my classic.

:D

• Like 1

THE MAN FROM HONG KONG is a great 70s time capsule, the type of film you will never see again. I'm a proud owner of the Chinese one-sheet, with Wang Yu holding a machine gun to the head of a grenade-biting George Lazenby. I have the Australian dvd that's heavy on the bonus materials (including a director's commentary). Grab it if you can find it.

• Like 1

i realy do have a spare Aus DVD duel layered original with booklet inc.. NEW i ordered a few from Screensound a few years ago.. anyone wanna trade?

• Like 1

• Administrator

Tigerstyles, I sent a pm to you.

BTW Chen Lung, when I clicked on the "Skyhigh" you tube clip I scrolled down and it looked like your Sammo avatar was dancing to the music. Pretty freakin' funny!

• Like 1

BTW Chen Lung, when I clicked on the "Skyhigh" you tube clip I scrolled down and it looked like your Sammo avatar was dancing to the music. Pretty freakin' funny!

You're too kind :).

BTW, Aussieland's got a DVD coming out soon that'll no doubt be better than the first disc, whilst Germany just released the uncut one (unlike Joy Sales).

• Like 1

Guest maskedavenger
Seaman No.7 is coming out (god knows when as no definitive date has been given) with remastered English subtitles from Germany, old-skool English dub and a few extras.

Far better than Japanese barebones expensive PAL>NTSC ****.

lol you know spanick is just using the jap dvds? pal coverted to ntsc then coverted back to pal. looks like **** but some peolpe will buy just about anything

it cracks me up that spanick was critizing stiller for bootlegging dvds and adding dubs and now he is doing the same thing as stiller. at least stiller doesn't sell his dvds for 30 bucks

Guest maskedavenger
i realy do have a spare Aus DVD duel layered original with booklet inc.. NEW i ordered a few from Screensound a few years ago.. anyone wanna trade?

you been claiming this for the at least 3 years. i know cause i tried to buy it from you. call it what is is a dvdr copy. stiller has it cheaper and in ntsc

Good to know someone's putting the truth out there... Too many loyalists are being taken for a ride when it comes to this type of S#*T!!

:(

KEEP POINTING OUT THE VILLIANS.

:)

Good to know someone's putting the truth out there... Too many loyalists are being taken for a ride when it comes to this type of S#*T!!

:(

KEEP POINTING OUT THE VILLIANS.

:)

Eh:S?

• Like 1