Why all the unnecessary undercranking?

5 Element Boxer

im the same, i hate the undercranking shit unless its done on stuff like Lord of the Wu Tang or in some old school joints that are wild or somthing like Shaolin vs Lama that were done a tad bit... that was cool stuff

but yea i like purity

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Legend of Wolf fan here, I wish he hadn't gone over budget and had finished it right.

The only Donnie undercranking I can't stand is in his Fist of Fury series, it looks ridiculous. I think Sammo had just the right level of undercranking when he used it, it was quite subtle.

Reel Power Stunts

The only Donnie undercranking I can't stand is in his Fist of Fury series, it looks ridiculous.

That series was shot on video tape. What you are seeing is sped up in post, which goes some way to explain the look. Back then, video (as opposed to film) couldn't be shot at various frame rates. In TV series like "Fist of Fury" or "Hung Hei Kwoion/Kung Fu Master", the fast/slow motion effects were all added at the editng stage.

Many HD cameras these days (recording on cards or drives rather than tape) can under/overcrank.

I am also a "Legend of the Wolf" fan. I think the crazy speeds didn'y jar with the film's setting, which seemed an alternate reality,..

Another under-cranking heavy film is "Gorgeous" (Jackie Chan) Especially when he fights Brad Allan, twice.

I also don't like the action scenes in Fist of Legend and other Jet Li movies because of the ridiculously fast action. I can't take it in properly. It's just annoying.

That series was shot on video tape. What you are seeing is sped up in post, which goes some way to explain the look. Back then, video (as opposed to film) couldn't be shot at various frame rates. In TV series like "Fist of Fury" or "Hung Hei Kwoion/Kung Fu Master", the fast/slow motion effects were all added at the editng stage.

Many HD cameras these days (recording on cards or drives rather than tape) can under/overcrank.

I am also a "Legend of the Wolf" fan. I think the crazy speeds didn'y jar with the film's setting, which seemed an alternate reality,..

Thanks for the explanation with regards to shooting on video for that series, so they could have sped it up less in post? That would have been a better option, I think. If you watch some of the fights from that series though, you get the impression that they were fighting at quite a slow pace originally, I can't quite explain it. Legend of Wolf will always be the closest any live action film came to Hokuto No Ken / Fist of the North Star for me, but I've always liked it even without that similarity. Ben Lam was great in it, too.

Archived