The Invincible Fist & Killer Constable comparison

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I've recently been trying to take a chunk out of my never ending pile of unwatched Shaw Brothers movies. I watched Killer Constable a few days ago and would class it as one of the best Shaw movies I've seen (I must be close to 100!), and yesterday I finished watching the early Chang Cheh movie The Invincible Fist.

What I wanted to ask is does anyone know if Killer Constable is a loose remake of The Invincible Fist? Both share the storyline of one man trying to seek out the bandits who have stolen a horde of marked gold, however what made me really come to this conclusion is that the final scenario in The Invincible Fist plays out almost identically to a scene which, although not the final one, is still a critical scene in Killer Constable.

The main character (Lo Lieh in The Invincible Fist & Chen Kuan Tai in Killer Constable) has been injured and stumbles across the house of a beautiful blind girl in the forrest. The blind girl believes that her father, who looks after her by himself, has returned from a business trip but is shocked to find out it isn't him. She nurses Lo Lieh/Chen Kuan Tai back to health, however when the father turns up he is one of the bandits. They hide their intentions for the sake of the daughter (this part also reminds me of the scene between Chow Yun Fat & Danny Lee in front of Sally Yeh from the Killer!), however ultimately end up fighting each other anyway.

If anyone could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated. I'm sure even some of the lines in the two scene's where the same, despite being made 11 years apart from each other!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, KILLER CONSTABLE is a remake to INVINCIBLE FIST. CC was going for a slightly different approach with this film imbuing an air of the Italian western amidst the swordplay action and also a decidedly more upbeat ending. The film was a favorite of the venerable director but the film performed dismally. There is also an indy film that was either shot just before or during production on KILLER CONSTABLE (1980) entitled DEMON STRIKE (1979) also starring Pai Piao and Beardy as well as Hwang Jang Lee. The film is terrible but it's an almost note for note copy of KILLER CONSTABLE (or the other way around) and follows that films pattern more than the original INVINCIBLE FIST.

Morgoth Bauglir

I wouldn't call Demon Strike terrible, but, uh, well, actually yeah, I would call it terrible, but it's worth watching for the final fight.

Archived