Angry Ranger ... Sun Chien's last hurrah?

teako170

Put off watching this for some time.

Thought it would be boring - but I was delightfully pleased.

Typical plot....

Guy gets out of prison.

Returns to the ol' hood where new thugs abound.

Does he turn the other eye or does he do the right thing?

Oh hell, let's just start bopping the head thug's girl instead!

That should keep him out of trouble! :D

Actually had some decent fight scenes. No gun-fu.

Strictly blades / edge weapons. Benny Lam looking pretty sharp.

Waiting forever to spy Sun Chien. Never realized he was the head thug - Big Circle Wan.

Had to rewatch all his scenes a second time. Can't believe I didn't spot him earlier.

In my defense, the print is pretty blurred plus he's sporting a caterpillar under his nostrils. :)

Anyway, decent stuff. Wish Johnny had pulled a Hitchcock cameo though.

Here's a couple YT clips

YUqQTohTB2E POpzg9NdDbM

Wonder if this was truly his farewell production? It was made in 1990 but not released until September 1991. The Plot was released in May '91 but don't know which film was made first. I know he did some TV productions for Silver Bird TV but not sure of the dates.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a pretty awful movie. Like you said the fights were good but the film appears to have taken place in an alternate universe. What with all the violence towards women, buildings and people set on fire, businesses destroyed and vehicles driven off of piers there's not a cop to be found save for one brief scene that features no acts of violence requiring their assistance. Jackie Chan was a producer and I think his stunt team performed in the action scenes.

there's not a cop to be found save for one brief scene that features no acts of violence requiring their assistance.

Haha. Hey, at least they asked Ben if he was okay.

Then they quickly turn .. "Let's look over there." :D

The odd thing is Johnny once told me that if he hadn't gone into the film industry he would like to have been a cop.

Chinatown Kid

I really liked the fast paced fights in this flick. Ben Lam looked great and Sun Chien has always been one of my faves but wished he had got more action/fights in the film. Was this his last appearance in a film? Don't think I've seen him in anything else since, the man had some sweet kicks. Guess my two favorite films of his are his role in Chinatown Kid and in Invincible Shaolin.

Apparently it was Sun Chien's final film in front of the cameras. He did action choreography in 1992's Megaforce from Highland (aka Shaolin Megaforce) and that was it.

Sun Chien has always been one of my faves but wished he had got more action/fights in the film.

That was the story of the man's career unfortantley.

I take it those youtube clips where the best part of the movie?

the last film i saw him in was leung kar yans modern day movie satanic crystals but it was a very breif fight, i did like him in the movie The Plot with simon yam (clips of this r on my youtube channel) , some good fights in that one.

silver hermit

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the plot is the best of his last roles. he played the lead for the whole film its not just a cameo. good action and to gai far comes in and kills it

Recently I spot Sun in some old 80s telemovies (probably Taiwanese productions, not sure) - Revenge of Beautiful Killer, Deadly Pursuit - and he apparently is in something called Clan Feuds (not the SB film - in which he appears as well)...

Either it's him - or somebody who looks a lot like the guy. I've only seen one of those flicks (and about 25 mins of another) on tudou and youku...

Maybe it's just the language barrier but the movies seem fairly bad...:-) I kinda liked the fights though.

What may be of interest to some (to me at least - it's how I found the movies) - Wei Pai was in those flicks as well. It was kind of nice to see them meet in front of the camera...

27870.jpg

1000100136.jpg

1000100169.jpg

Someone just posted about Lo Mang talking about Sun Chien a few weeks ago, Lo said Sun was shy socially and was not suited for the film industry and that he had went back to Taiwan and became a businessman. I still think he could have become alot bigger star if he had been given more lead roles, it would have been nice to see him go up against fellow TKD stylists like HJL or Casanova in a fight finale showdown.

Morgoth Bauglir

Just saw this for the first time and I'm still a bit out of breath. The story is average at best. But for the fights, it goes straight to the top of my list as one of my favorite movies. If only there were more modern movies that could match this. The fights are so good, and there's so many of them. I can't think of a single modern Jackie, Donnie or Jet movie that I like as much as this. Drunken Master 2, Dragons Forever, Iron Monkey? Pass, pass and pass. Fist of Legend? OK, so maybe there's one non oldschool movie I'll take over Angry Ranger for the fights.

As for Sun Chien, he did good. Should have had a bit more fight time, but he was great as the ultra evil villain, something I wouldn't have guessed he could pull off.

One Armed Boxer
Just saw this for the first time and I'm still a bit out of breath. The story is average at best. But for the fights, it goes straight to the top of my list as one of my favorite movies. If only there were more modern movies that could match this. The fights are so good, and there's so many of them

Morgoth...that`s great that you enjoyed `Angry Ranger`! Kind of ironic considering I myself watched it based on a thread that you originally created! (http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10677)

It has that gritty late 80`s / early 90`s kickboxing movie feel that I love, over the past several months this movie has spent a lot of time in my DVD player, along with `Naughty Boys` and `Hong Kong Godfather`!

Archived